Top 10 Posters

Adding interfacing to finished quilt block

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 180
judy.nell posted on Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:09 PM

I am a beginner sewer/quilter and wanted to surprise a friend with a handmade baby quilt for her newborn.  I spent hours picking out fabric at (what I thought to be) a reputable fabric store.  All the fabric I purchased is 100% cotton quilting fabric, but the problem which I didn't realize until after I had several blocks made, is that the fabric is very thin.  This was pointed out to me by another friend.  Since I can't afford to buy more fabric, my friend suggested I re-enforce my blocks with a fusible interfacing.

Does anyone know if this can be done and/or are there any videos showing a step by step process?  I have searched the internet but am not having any luck in finding the info I need.

My blocks are 6" (finished) pinwheels.  

I really appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thank you......Judy

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 175

Judy, are you sure the fabric is really that bad?  I'm just wondering since you didn't notice it until your friend said something.  I think I would just go with what you have.  Adding interfacing may just make the quilt stiff and you don't want that for a baby quilt 0 you want snuggly and drapey.    When you get your blocks sewn together and layered with the batting and backing, it will feel a lot more substantial.   Unless the fabric is like cheesecloth, I'll bet the baby and mother will love it and get a lot of use out of it.  Just my opinion  :)  BTW, are you planning to quilt it or tie it?  Quilting, either by machine or hand, will re-inforce the fabric.

Linda

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,337 Posts
Points 414,644
gini replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:44 PM

Hi Judy, welcome to the group.  They make a very soft fusible, I can't remember the name of it.  Some one here will think of it for you.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,239 Posts
Points 239,652
Thea replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:51 PM

Judy, There are several fusable interfacings that you can buy and use and they just add stability to your quilt - go to your local JoAnn's or Hancock's and ask them at the counter for it - I believe Pellon makes one - I looked at what I have as I use fusible interfacings for collars and front of jackets to give it stabliity.  Mine however, does not have the name of the manufacturer but they will show you - there are a couple different ones - and since it will be inside the quilt itself you don't have to worry so much as to softness you just want stability... there are stabilizers that we use for embroidery too that might work for you - get the ones that are cut away or tear away as they do not wash out like the wash a way ones do - 

To do it - you just lay your quilt top on top of it and press it in place - they have a bumpy side which has the glue on it - put that to the wrong side of your quilt top - then put your batting and backing on to sandwich and quilt as desired.

byt the way. Welcome to QCA

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 180

Thank you Linda.  When I hold up the fabric, I can see my hand very clearly behind it.  My friend said I shouldn't be able to see it with good quality fabric.  I bought it at Joann's thinking I was getting the best.  

I plan on quilting it on my home machine if I can figure out how, or possibly having someone quilt it for me.  I still have sooo much to learn.

Since I can see my hand through the fabric, do you still think it will be okay?

Thanks...Judy

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 180

Thank you Gini.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 180
Thank you Thea.
Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 175

Judy, are you holding it up to the light?  I have to tell you that I can see through a lot of my $10 a yard quilt shop fabric when I hold it up to the light.  Does the fabric feel flimsy?  Have you pre-washed it?  When you pre-wash, it washes the sizing out and then you get a really good idea how thick or thin it is  :)  In my earlier years of quilting I used to shop at Joann's for fabric.  In fact, I am sure I still have a bunch of it in my stash and still use it in my quilts to this day.  Is it as nice as the quilt shop fabric?  No.  But is it usable?  Yes.  But only you can decide if it is up to your standards.  Just don't let someone else influence your decision or shake your confidence  :)  Whatever you decide will be the right choice.

Linda

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,447 Posts
Points 361,732
Kris replied on Sat, Mar 2 2013 12:59 AM

gini:

Hi Judy, welcome to the group.  They make a very soft fusible, I can't remember the name of it.  Some one here will think of it for you.

Shades Soft Fuse

Misty Fuse

I've used both of these and love them. Misty Fuse doesn't add bulk and is very light but it is not backed with paper. I use parchment paper and an appliqué pressing sheet with it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 5:35 AM

Shopping at JoAnn's can be like shopping at Walmart.  Good stores, but you  need to be careful about what you buy.  I do shop at both.

I like the soft fusible idea.     And you have gotten some responses by several, I consider excellent,  quilters.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,650 Posts
Points 135,977

I have also bought very pricey fabric at my LQS, that you could see right through,   but it sewed up just fine and has been washed several times with no problem

[Ava, Missouri

Top 500 Contributor
Female
211 Posts
Points 2,780
Flo replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 2:20 PM

I use lightweight f  But I fusible interfacing when making a T-shirt quilt. Just place it bumpy side against the wrong side of fabric.  Whether you use steamor dry iron depends on brand you buy.   But I think you will be fine without it.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use