Starting a quilt retreat

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 510
julie.dodds@ht.msu.edu posted on Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:41 AM

Hi! 

I am remodeling an old church and parsonage into a quilt retreat in Northern Iowa. I am looking for advice. Any absolute "Do's" or "Don'ts"?  I want to make this as quilter friendly as possible!

Thanks in advance!

Julie

• | Post Points: 125

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
237 Posts
Points 4,290

I grew up in Ames, and have been in Humbolt many times.  I sang in someone wedding in the Methodist church in Humbolt, and sang at a funeral there as well.  I'll definitely look you up when I plan my next trip back to Iowa.  I lived in Ames for 34 years, and have been back a dozen times since but I've never been to Fons & Porter in Winterset.  And I even visited the covered bridges in Winterset!  I'm bound and determined to make it there the next time I come to Iowa.  I sooo miss the scent in the air when the farmer's are turning sod in the spring.  It has a sweet scent found nowhere else on earth.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
371 Posts
Points 6,710

Maggie,

I would like more information about that retreat as well.

Andrea

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

julie.dodds@ht.msu.edu:
The Facebook page will be up soon, so you can follow our progress. We are sooo excited!

Please post a link to your Facebook page when it's ready.  I would definitely be interested in a quilt retreat at your new location.  There are so many nice quilt stores in southern Minnesota / northern Iowa!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 510

The Facebook page is nearly up. It will be simply "Quilted Steeple". I will post again when we are up! The contractors are busy knocking down and putting up walls - how exciting!

Thanks again for all of your great advice and support!

Julie

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 2:25 PM

I lived in Nevada IA when I was very young.  I remember my Grandfather digging a tunnel from the mud room to the garage...guess he had already done the drive.

I also remember getting to ride on the back of the big farm horses when they were on their way home...they came by our house everyday for several weeks and Grandfather Bierma always put me on one of the team and let me ride to the other end of the block...I was only 4 and 5 and hung onto the hames literally screaming with joy.  It made my day for several weeks.  Goodness my little legs must have stuck straight out...those big draft horses were so wide and so gentle.  Soon as they saw and heard me they stopped and waited for me and Grandfather.  What an awesome thrill.

My Daddy was sent to Iowa State in Ames by the US Navy to learn to be a Master Electrician.  That's where he met my Mother.

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use