Starting a quilt retreat

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 64 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 510
julie.dodds@ht.msu.edu posted on Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:41 AM

Hi! 

I am remodeling an old church and parsonage into a quilt retreat in Northern Iowa. I am looking for advice. Any absolute "Do's" or "Don'ts"?  I want to make this as quilter friendly as possible!

Thanks in advance!

Julie

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Hmmm, we've got a Branson retreat being organized for March 2014.  I usually go to that one, so I'm thinking we should aim for mid-summer for the Quilted Steeple - after gardens are in and we're waiting for produce to ripen.  Julie, is your building air conditioned???  Are any QCA-ers interested in late June?  Do you like 4-5 days or 6-7 days?  (I like at least 5 to make it worth the drive).  I'm due to organize a retreat, so I'll volunteer to be the wagon master (as we call Patti in WA & OR).

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,583 Posts
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 8:49 PM

I believe the Smoky Mountain Retreat is in June....

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 9:41 PM

Nancy

The Smokey Mtn retreat is in June....I think about the 7th thru 14th.   I don't know how many people would do both.   I think Iowa would be an awesome place to see.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Wed, Jul 24 2013 10:51 PM

Well, perhaps we should wait until we find out prices at the Quilted Steeple, then I can put out feelers for how many would come for various dates.  I think Iowa in the fall is lovely, but traditionally September is when the small Des Moines retreat has been held, so it wouldn't make sense to do another Iowa retreat so close to that one.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 1:38 AM

Barbara is thinking about  not doing the Iowa retreat anymore.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
79 Posts
Points 1,185

iowa is an awesome place to see any time of the year!  however, the national quilt show is in des moines the first weekend of october if that makes a difference....karen j jones, council bluffs, ia on bank of muddy missouri river

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,115 Posts
Points 14,375
Dawn replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 7:34 AM

I would rather do an Iowa retreat, close to home and it would be my first, so I think that would be a great way to get my feet wet.  :-)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 8:10 AM

I would be interested, but not sure what time of year.  I have a feeling that the Oregon coast retreat is going to be a yearly thing so anytime but fall would probably be good for me.  Mid-winter is probably not good for most folks either.  If I come, I will come by train. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,538 Posts
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Thu, Jul 25 2013 8:37 AM

I am interested in the Iowa retreat.  I just can't go the last week of the month (any month) or the first two weeks in October.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 510

The Quilted Steeple Retreatwill be having its Grand Opening Saturday, September 21 from 10-5.  Sandy Gervais  from Moda fabrics will be doing a quilt show (outdoors, weather permitting) and speaking at 1 pm.  There are door prizes, raffles, and refreshments (including wine tasting!). Come join the fun! www.quiltedsteeple.com for details.

Not Ranked
Female
35 Posts
Points 495

Wow! Love the setting! & not too bad a drive from the Chicago area. As a beginner, I have obviously never done a retreat. Sounds fun!

Teresa in Naperville , IL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Thanks for the invite, Julie!  A question came up concerning a possible summer retreat at your place - are your buildings air-conditioned?

To the QCA-ers interested in attending a retreat here - Judy, who lives in Iowa and is at the Des Moines retreat right now, said she is going to visit the Quilted Steeple for their open house, and then she will get back to us.  It sounds like she may want to organize this retreat.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,342 Posts
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 8:18 AM

Oh this sounds like the. Perfect retirement gift to myself! It would be great. I will definitively have to keep up with this one. 

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Oh good, Angele!  Maybe you can drive this far on day one, spend the night here, and then we can continue on down to Iowa together.  We might be picking up Patti at the train station in Mpls.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,406 Posts
Points 19,540

Oh Nancy, I would love to see the Quilted Steeple. I agree with Angele. What a wonderful gift for myself. It wouldn't matter to me what time of year as long as I don't have to drive in the snow. This might be my first retreat.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Page 4 of 5 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use