Starting a quilt retreat

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 64 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 510
julie.dodds@ht.msu.edu posted on Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:41 AM

Hi! 

I am remodeling an old church and parsonage into a quilt retreat in Northern Iowa. I am looking for advice. Any absolute "Do's" or "Don'ts"?  I want to make this as quilter friendly as possible!

Thanks in advance!

Julie

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 11:14 AM

Loved your pictures.  Looking forward to a retreat there in the future.  BTW I lived in Nevada Iowa from 5 to 7 years of age.  My grandparents had a hug home the was my favorite of all the homes I lived in.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,583 Posts
Points 24,040
Susie replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 11:32 AM

Julie--it looks wonderful!  I can't wait to see the final product!

MNNancy--I would be interested in your trip, too!  I"m only about 7 hours to the East!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,154 Posts
Points 14,985
Dawn replied on Tue, Jun 11 2013 1:06 PM

I would go too!  I live in Iowa so no problem!  Sounds fun!

Top 500 Contributor
79 Posts
Points 1,185

I live in Iowa too?  Where is the retreat?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Swedeami, the retreat center location is shown on www.quiltedsteeple.com, so it's not a question of where, but when.  She's opening late summer.  There's a QCA retreat happening in October in Oregon, so I would be interested in traveling to Iowa in the spring or summer of 2014.  What is the preference of others who said they'd like to go?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,154 Posts
Points 14,985
Dawn replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 7:25 AM

As long as it is after Easter I am good!  :-)  I go help w/ my grands at that time . . . need a week or so to recover.  LOL!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 7:40 AM

Spring sounds good to me.  It will take much convincing of my DH to let me go however.  Funds are tighter these days. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,583 Posts
Points 24,040
Susie replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 9:33 AM

MNnancy:

Swedeami, the retreat center location is shown on www.quiltedsteeple.com, so it's not a question of where, but when.  She's opening late summer.  There's a QCA retreat happening in October in Oregon, so I would be interested in traveling to Iowa in the spring or summer of 2014.  What is the preference of others who said they'd like to go?

I don't really have a preference...I'll try to work it into my schedule, whenever it's set up for.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 45
Kathie replied on Tue, Jul 16 2013 8:09 AM

I imagine planning for beds is a trick.  I like the thought of having quilts on the beds, but Like the idea of a "retreat space" even more.  I love people, but I do need some down time to either rest my eye (aka nod off) or to just sit and reflect...it is a retreat!  Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 45
Kathie replied on Tue, Jul 16 2013 8:13 AM

I forgot one thing - plenty of info, maos, etc. for those who need a break away in the area

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875

kathiet:

I forgot one thing - plenty of info, maos, etc. for those who need a break away in the area

Check out the photos at Smokey Mountain Mama's retreat. That will give you ideas. It was held the last week of June. Gosh, Mama's has it only been 2 weeks??

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,499 Posts
Points 48,285
Angele replied on Tue, Jul 16 2013 10:56 AM

MNnancy:

Julie, I hope to bring a group to your facility sometime!  That's not a bad drive for me coming from central Minnesota.  Are there any quilt shops nearby?  How soon will you post prices?

Hey Nancy if this is after January 2014, I just might be able to meet up with you.  This would be so nice!

Angèle  from NWO

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 510

The Grand Opening is set for Sept. 21! We have Sandy Gervais of Moda fabrics making a rare personal appearance! Check the website at www.quiltedsteeple.com for details.

Our prices will be posted the first week of August.  We also have a Facebook page! You can "Like us" to stay updated on developments at Quilted Steeple!

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 510

Oh, yeah, I forgot - there are 2 quilt shops and a scrapbooking store in Algona, the nearest town. We even have a bus to take you there!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 7:23 PM

Wow Julie, what a beautiful job you have done with the remodel.   I would love to attend a retreat here.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Page 3 of 5 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use