Starting a quilt retreat

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 64 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 510
julie.dodds@ht.msu.edu posted on Wed, Feb 27 2013 7:41 AM

Hi! 

I am remodeling an old church and parsonage into a quilt retreat in Northern Iowa. I am looking for advice. Any absolute "Do's" or "Don'ts"?  I want to make this as quilter friendly as possible!

Thanks in advance!

Julie

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 9:14 PM

I think the arrangement of 7 rooms, 14 twin beds is great.  It leaves all the options open.  If someone wants their own room they can have it, but if two want to cut costs, twin beds are really nice.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 4:10 AM

Sounds like your retreat is coming along beautifully!  Maybe I'll be able to attend one in the future!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,412 Posts
Points 38,005
Linda replied on Mon, Mar 11 2013 6:12 AM

Make sure you have 1 or 2 rooms that are handicap accessible. Including showers with benches, raised toilets. It's easier for us disabled folks to attend retreats.

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 35

Hi Julie,

We just opened a quilt retreat in Sweetwater TN in a 150 year old farmhouse.  What I have found is that guests really appreciate a good rolling padded chair for sewing.  I mounted power strips onto the top of the tables so guests wouldn't have to crawl on the floor to plug in machines.  We have 18 twin beds in 5 large bedrooms. We only sew at tables 13 , because we didn't want it to be crowded.  We have a lot of rug hooking and hand sewing guests that do not require tables.  Check out our website (still a work in progress) and contact me if you want to talk about ideas. Good luck in your adventure!!

Jodi

www.whistlestopquiltretreat.com

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,879 Posts
Points 40,540
ls2116 replied on Mon, Jun 3 2013 10:53 PM

That sounds like an adventure for me.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 9:05 AM

Our lovely retreat in VB, there were king sized beds, full baths, flat screen TV in each room.  @ twin or double beds  would have been better.   It was amazing the beauty of the beach, the rooms, no problems with bathing etc. also they had a washer and dryer and 2 huge refrigerators.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 10:21 AM

Julie:  your project is very interesting to me.  I wonder if you have a website where I can follow along with your progress?  Or, can we talk by email?

Our house will someday be a bed and breakfast.  We have the room, we have antique furnishings and interesting artwork,  we love to cook, we already host cyclists and hikers and our set up is just right to someday become a B & B.  We have most amenities that quiet home away from home in an interesting warm town where some people already like to vacation.

Now, I am curious if I should also think about hosting quilting retreats? I have never attended one, but they sure do sound like fun.  Our home could easily handle 10 ladies at a time.  I have a large dining room area  that could be set up with tables for sewing machines, etc.  Hmmmm....this is a serious possibility.  Is 10 a good number?  is it too small?

Will your converted church also be used for other activities?  I would really like to follow your progress and then I perhaps need to attend a retreat to see what goes on. 

Thanks for giving me a good idea

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 510

Hi All,

My retreat now has a facebook page at Quilted Steeple and a website at www.quiltedsteeple.com   You can follow progress there. We should be opening in the next few months! So exciting!  You can also address more specific questions to me if needed  at info@quiltedsteeple.com   

Will pass on a grand opening date as soon as I have it!

Julie

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Julie, I hope to bring a group to your facility sometime!  That's not a bad drive for me coming from central Minnesota.  Are there any quilt shops nearby?  How soon will you post prices?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 510

There are 2 quilt shops in Algona  - 8 miles away and about 45 minutes from 2 large shops - The Qulted Forest in Forest City and Country Threads in Garner. Prices should be posted in the next few weeks. I look forward to seeing all my QCA friends!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Thu, Jun 6 2013 11:18 PM

this looks wonderful.  I would take the train from Wenatchee, WA, to Minneapolis - St Paul.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Patti, cool!  I can pick you up on the way down!  I'll bet we could talk Deb into coming, too!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Fri, Jun 7 2013 11:27 AM

julie.dodds@ht.msu.edu:

Hi All,

My retreat now has a facebook page at Quilted Steeple and a website at www.quiltedsteeple.com   You can follow progress there. We should be opening in the next few months! So exciting!  You can also address more specific questions to me if needed  at info@quiltedsteeple.com   

Will pass on a grand opening date as soon as I have it!

Julie

Wow, Julie - this looks fabulous!  How exciting for you - it looks like a very special place.  I can't wait to see your grand opening and follow along with your success.  Hopefully someday I can get there to visit too.  I'm not sure if our B and B could even come close to your accommodations, it just looks absolutely superb!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Julie, it looks like a wonderful place to hold retreats. I look forward to pictures of your first retreat, I'm sure it will be a great success.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
15 Posts
Points 510

Thanks for all the advice - Everyone is so  helpful!

Page 2 of 5 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use