Top 10 Posters

Basting gun

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
38 Posts
Points 750
vynnp posted on Tue, Feb 26 2013 4:49 PM

I am just starting to do Stack and Whack. Have been thread basting, but am wondering if anyone has used a basting gun for this? Is it worth the expense?

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,405 Posts
Points 21,105

Glad this got posted.  I had never heard of a basting gun... I spray baste my quilts, but I could think of so many other uses for this...  I've added the microstitch to my amazon wish list.  It gets much better reviews than the others out there - I'm guessing because the thingys are smaller.

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,346 Posts
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 9:56 AM

I now use a combination of spray basting and some very strategic pinning that is never in the way of the quilting. I layer the back and backing with spray basting and give it a light press before I add the top. I am nearing the end of the first quilt I did this way and have never been happier with my results. Then I do like fairly large motifs so following the piecing designs so that also makes a difference to the preferred method. Sort of the hand quilted way but by machine.

I will say my method is very time consuming but worth it to me. Many quilters could probably quilt several quilts with an overall design in the time it takes me to prepare one. 

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 12:35 PM

Amazon has Micro Stitch Gun for $21.50 with refills at $9.50.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,027 Posts
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 1:03 PM

JoAnn Fabrics sells them as well. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use