Top 10 Posters

Basting gun

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
34 Posts
Points 700
vynnp posted on Tue, Feb 26 2013 4:49 PM

I am just starting to do Stack and Whack. Have been thread basting, but am wondering if anyone has used a basting gun for this? Is it worth the expense?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,278 Posts
Points 135,278

I've used one, and  wasn't  thrilled with the holes or the looseness of  the little plastic things you shoot through.  I still prefer the spray baste.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,490
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 26 2013 5:27 PM

I have used the basting gun for that and it works well.  I don't like the gun to baste quilt sandwiches but it does have its uses.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,821 Posts
Points 85,145

Ok, Nana, I'll bite. If the basting gun is not good for basting a quilt sandwich, what IS it good for? And, what is IT, anyway? Haven't heard of that, don't think.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,220 Posts
Points 41,005

Stephanie:

I've used one, and  wasn't  thrilled with the holes or the looseness of  the little plastic things you shoot through.  I still prefer the spray baste.

I agree with you Stephanie...I didn't like the looseness of the plastic things that are suppose to hold the layers together. And the holes are much larger than a safety pin.  I gave it away!  A waste of money in my opinion...  I chocked it up to a learning experience!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
23,839 Posts
Points 352,757
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 1:51 AM

I love my basting gun. I use a Microstitch and the tacks are quite short and hold well. The black tacks show up well on light fabrics and the white ones on dark fabrics. I've also used the basting gun for pinning fabrics together for a swap.

I also have a larger basting gun that uses red tacks. This one makes bigger holes and the tacks are longer so work well for high loft batting or thicker fabrics (like minkee and cuddle). The holes don't bother me as they are gone after the tacks are removed.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
12,941 Posts
Points 234,222
Thea replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 4:46 AM

I, too, have no use for the basting guns - I tried them years ago and the time spent putting them in and then the time trying afterwards to find all those little tacks and cut them off - was not worth it to me.   If anyone would like mine, I'll hunt it out and you can have it.  Not worth the money I spent on it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,099 Posts
Points 24,755
Agnes replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 5:34 PM

Donna B:
didn't like the looseness of the plastic things that are suppose to hold the layers together. And the holes are much larger than a safety pin.  I gave it away!  A waste of money in my opinion...  I chocked it up to a learning experience!

Donna-- You saved me a lot of typing. Totally agree!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
823 Posts
Points 12,720

Kris I am with you and I also use a Microstitch.

Hampshire, England

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,278 Posts
Points 135,278

Kris:
I use a Microstitch and the tacks are quite short and hold well.

Kris,

Thanks for the info on the microstitch. May be worth a second look for some projects. Mine was the red "tacks".

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,220 Posts
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 11:05 PM

Stephanie:

Kris:
I use a Microstitch and the tacks are quite short and hold well.

Kris,

Thanks for the info on the microstitch. May be worth a second look for some projects. Mine was the red "tacks".

Mine was the "red tacks" also...didn't even know there was another kind!  Thanks Kris for the info...might have to take another look, but...

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
23,839 Posts
Points 352,757
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 12:56 AM

jay-marie :

Kris I am with you and I also use a Microstitch.

Hi Jay Marie. It's been a long time. Good to see you.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
23,839 Posts
Points 352,757
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 1:00 AM

Stephanie and Donna. I definitely prefer the Microstitch.

Thea, you have to remove pins (if you pin baste) so removing the tacks, for me, is like removing pins. I do it as I get to them. I imagine on a huge quilt it could become tedious.  I once used the light tacks on a light fabric and couldn't find them for removal. LOL. I had to feel for them.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,379 Posts
Points 48,850
Ginny replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 7:39 AM

Thanks for the info on microstitch, Kris.   It sounds like something I might want to use.    Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
2,576 Posts
Points 36,085
ls2116 replied on Thu, Feb 28 2013 8:01 AM

I'm sticking with pinning my sandwich.  My only problem with that seems to be I have to always remove some because they get in the way of quilting lines.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use