Top 10 Posters

Ugly Fabric Contest

Page 7 of 42 (629 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 628 Replies | 20 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Sat, Feb 6 2010 9:35 PM

Jeanine, Stack n Whack might actually make some of the fabric likeable, at least in small pieces! I would love to see some of yours done that way!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sat, Feb 6 2010 9:36 PM

Sandy H.:

OMG Jeanine ... what is that lime green stuff!?  That is truly ugly.  LOL

The sad thing is I've actually used this fabric in quilts.  I'm sure it is from the 80's.  These colors just don't belong in a paisley.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,327
Points 241,652
Thea replied on Sat, Feb 6 2010 9:42 PM

Jeanine, I giggled when I read your response... yep eyes are open and Carol's fabric - I saw broderie purse ideas come to mind... I know I am damaged somehow...tee hee... now the lime green would be hard to deal with but see my Mom would think it was beautiful as she loves Green...tee hee and I would make a green quilt for her using it all the time thinking Oh MY - can't wait to be done with this...lol

I am loving seeing all these ugly fabrics! 

What do you think Ladies - should I post all your Quilts in the SL lounge when you get done!  Maybe that is where I will post them for Jode and Alex and Marianne to come and  judge them - we could do a judging in SL...and a prize awarding...

deep breaths now waiting for the phone to ring....

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,033
Points 20,770
Carol W replied on Sat, Feb 6 2010 9:50 PM

I was just looking at the photo that posted of my fabric and am thinking that it looks better than the actual fabric.  I had to go back and look at the fabric as I didn't think there was any bright yellow or bright orange in it.  There's not.  What shows as bright yellow is really a dark cheddar and the orange is more of a dark burgandy red.  Strange how the photos don't show true colors.

Carol W. in Arkansas

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,704
Points 364,332
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 7 2010 12:21 AM

HOLY COW!

Kelley! Jeanine! Carol! Yikes! I don't know what else to say. I can't wait to see what you do with these fabrics.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Feb 7 2010 12:26 AM

Kelley, I vote yours as the most hideous.  oooo those colors and crazy pattern make me squirm.  Yes, it would make an interesting and possibly beautiful stack and whack.  But it is so awful as it is.  It needs something done with it.  Where did you get it?  Did you purchase it?  I have some fabrics with very bright colors but at least they seem to coordinate with each other in a compatible pattern. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

Kelly, I love the flower part, It definately cries to be stacked and whacked.  I have the books if you would like some directions on doing them.

Paris, Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

Jeanine, those are some UGLY fabrics.  My daughter may like the boots and I have always been partial to paisley but... 

Paris, Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,139
Points 40,930

Oh Carol....I am thinking you are going to win this for ugly

Paris, Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,490
Points 46,770

First of all, I admit that I have eye problems so you can chalk up my remarks to that. LOL

Patti - just looking at you fabric (small pic) I thought it was dill pickles, not apples.

Kelly - you floral is not ugly, sorry.

Carol - your fabric is really close to ugly! ROFLOL!

I am not a great quilter, but it seems to me that is you only have to use a fat quarter in your quilt that with the right fabrics most of these could be made into a pretty quilt. My only question is do the "right fabrics" exist and will you be able to find them? ? ? ? ?

I am enjoying this contest and all the chit chat. Gotta say I look at some of my stash and wonder what I was thinking, even though it isn't ugly, it sure doesn't go with anything else,.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Sun, Feb 7 2010 8:58 AM

Patti... I have no Idea where I got my UGLY... I probably forgot on purpose...lol.. So I dont buy anything like this again.. I had it forever..

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Sun, Feb 7 2010 9:00 AM

Marilyn.. I have only done stack and whack as precut quits..lol.. I have never tried to cut my own.. It has cut to be difficult..

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Sun, Feb 7 2010 9:02 AM

I think Pat might be getting left overs from this fabric...lol..

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Feb 7 2010 9:17 AM

Pat Lancaster:
Patti - just looking at you fabric (small pic) I thought it was dill pickles, not apples.

They do kind of look like dill pickles, but the stem is coming out the middle, not the end.  But I think I prefer to think of them as dill pickles, then that check looks more like a table cloth and I can think "picnic"  when I see it.  At least I can now think good things looking at it.  LOL

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,809
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Sun, Feb 7 2010 9:44 AM

Stack n whack is fun.  The frustrating part for me are the points - most of the projects involve triangles or wedges but she's got a couple that don't (see Stack n Whackipedia book).  Here's her website: http://www.bethanyreynolds.com/index.html

If you click on "What is Stack n Whack?", there are pages you can view (links about midway down the page) that give you a basic explanation of the process. Essentially, you are working with the design repeats in the fabric, so you usually need a few to several yards of fabric for the projects.   For example, if you want to make the hexagon blocks, you need 6 repeats. If you want to do the Dresden plate, I think you need 8. Since most of it involves triangles or wedges, you do have a lot of bias to deal with, so the thing to do is use a ton of spray starch on the fabric before you cut it. You have to have very accurate sewing (1/4 inch seams) to get the blocks to come out right, especially if you want to use some other fabric triangles (setting or background) among the blocks.  The fabric should also have some complexity in the design - too simple and your blocks will look too much alike.  I know I've posted this before, but here's a picture of my first (and so far only) hexagon stack n whack project:

You can see how different the blocks are and they're all from one piece of fabric - the results are very cool.  This is one possible layout & is from Magic Stack n Whack Quilts, her first book.  She's got another layout for the hexagons called Zippy Strippy which you can download for free from her site - see Cool Stuff & scroll down to the text list of tips, etc. - it's near the top. She has a ribbon weave project from Stack-n-Whackipedia - no triangles :-)  I might try that one next.

Hope this helps some of you who've never seen one of these before.  Like any other new-to-you project, it's got its challenges but the results are amazing.

Page 7 of 42 (629 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use