Scrap Quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530
Melissa Halpain posted on Sun, Feb 24 2013 8:57 PM

I hope you all don't think this question  is too goofy. I want to use the layer cakes of the 1930's that I recently got in the swaps group. Do you all usually do scrappy quilts with real scraps of fabric or do you coordinate specific fabrics. I'm going through my books and all the scrappy quilt patterns look like they very specifically coordinated. What do you all think?

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
32 Posts
Points 370
Edna replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 9:06 PM

Hi Melissa:

I think that I probably have more cut fabric scraps than the dinosaurs. (leftover strips from previous projects) The majority of the time when I'm making scrappy quilt blocks and scrappy purses/totes, I randomly pick up a strip, but try to make sure that it will be a nice contrast to the adjoining pieces. It's when I'm making a log cabin design that I often, but not always, specificially cut  coordinating strips.

Quilt Salad Shop

Top 50 Contributor
2,915 Posts
Points 41,005
ls2116 replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 9:27 PM

I've only made two scrappy but there are lots of ideas in show and tell gallery, but i'm finding out as i go quilting is very individualistic if you have a vision go with it.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 9:54 PM

Melissa

I have done both...a controlled scrappy and a very uncontrolled scrappy.  It is very much personal preference.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,834 Posts
Points 248,829
Barbara replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 12:34 AM

Melissa,I have done a couple of quilts using 30 's fabric  one was scrapy and one wasn't they both came out great, If you find you don't have enough fabric let me know I have a great shop that has all kinds of 30;s fabric, its like wonderful ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
115 Posts
Points 2,475
Clare replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 1:42 AM

Hi Melissa, here is a link to a tutorial of a scrappy quilt that I recently found & have done one (mine isn't finished enough to post a pic) but it was easy. All I did was put my 2 1/2" squares into a bag & pulled them out randomly, I'm really happy with how it is going. I will admit that it was difficult for me to do a random scrappy as I like to be in control. It also took care of most of my scraps!

http://weddingdressblue.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/tutorial-film-at-five-quilt/

Clare

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 175

I love scrappy and do it a lot.  I use actual scraps, though I do usually separate them into usable groups.  I either separate them into piles of lights and darks.  Or I put all my red scraps together, all my blue scraps together, etc.  Then I have controlled scrappy.

Linda

Top 50 Contributor
2,915 Posts
Points 41,005
ls2116 replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 10:50 AM

I seen in keepsake quilting they also have scrap bags I might get some batiks.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,935 Posts
Points 33,685
Roxana replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 11:49 AM

Clare, thanks for posting! I've been cutting scraps into 2 1/2 inch squares for awhile now so it's neat to find an easy way to useless them. Roxana

Top 500 Contributor
Female
128 Posts
Points 1,880
Lynn replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 12:12 PM

I usely use the scraps I have in my Scrap draws.  I have bought many 6" blocks for years and now I am using them.  I posted a Scrappy quilt I have done  on our board,  I sperated the blocks into dark-med to light-med,  The one I posted is the light ones.  I love the challange of taking random scrapes and making something beautiful.  I must say that is seems that when you are done you will always end up with more scraps than what you start with.  Lynn

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,430 Posts
Points 38,335
Linda replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 12:48 PM

I've been making scrappy quilts for years. Not one has been controlled....at least not controlled by me. They have all turned out unique and each receiver of my scrappy quilts has been very happy with his/her quilt. I believe there are several scrappy quilts in my gallery...some look controlled but I assure you they are not.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,224 Posts
Points 16,470

Barbara:
I have a great shop that has all kinds of 30;s fabric, its like wonderful ..Barbara
 Barbara, Is your shop on the internet or in your town???  I am always looking for shops that sell 30s fabric.   Thanks  Susan

Top 150 Contributor
Female
704 Posts
Points 13,370
Barbara, Do you have a website?

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,409 Posts
Points 19,530

Thank you to all of you. I really appreciate the input. I has helped me decide what to do. I plan to do an uncontrolled scrap quilt as I am usually out of control. Hehe

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 25 2013 6:02 PM

Melissa

There are pics posted in the media section of the Scrap Happys group of some really pretty quilts.  You might want to check them out.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use