Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 2
Points 145
Guy Posted: Sat, Feb 23 2013 3:08 PM

Hello all. I've just spent a few months making my first quilt, by hand, for my elderly parents. My mother loves quilts and due to health reasons spends a lot of time on her bed during the day. The quandry: do I scotchguard the quilt to prevent possible stains from spilled food and liquid medicines (sometimes happens) or should we just deal with a stain if it happens. I want them to use the quilt and not leave it in storage. Opinions please. Thanks

• | Post Points: 125
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,864
gini replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 3:16 PM

hi guy. welcome to the group.   this is going to be a personal decision.   my mom is a clean freak, consequently, her quilts are washed  in bleach at least weekly.  i give her quick quilts that i sew on the machine and save my hand made quilts for friends and family who don't wash the stuffin' out of them and don't let their animals on them.  you could try the scotch guard, but doesn't that make the fabric a bit stiffer" 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 3:17 PM

My opinion - deal with stains as they happen.  Hasn't Scotchguard been declared a hazardous substance?  We don't let the carpet cleaners apply it anymore.

Oh, and welcome to QCA and congrats on completing your first quilt!  Hand-sewn?  I'm impressed!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 3:39 PM

Guy,I agree ,just wash the quilt as it happens ,I wash all of mine in cold water and dry them on the clothes line outside or inside if raining. I only put them in the dryer to soften them up also wash on the delicate cycle this should help preserve them . I also what to welcome you to the club. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,247
Points 239,887
Thea replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 3:47 PM

Guy - personal preference - if you get a stain - use some stuff to get stains out of cotton fabric - nope wouldn't use scotch guard at all.  I wash and dry in my washer and dryer and do not have any problems at all - I don't do anything special to them - most of my quilts get washed and dried at least 5 times a year... They get washed and dried as soon as they are made... never had a problem doing this - none...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 4:02 PM

Guy

Welcome.  Sounds like you have gotten lots of advice.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,187
Points 15,895
Susan replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 4:17 PM

Welcome, Guy ! Hope your Mom enjoys her quilt. What a thoughtful daughter you are. I know my DMIL loved her quilts and used them every day in the nursing home. We just washed in cool water on delicate cycle and dried for a few minutes in dryer and then hung them to dry. Thats what I do with mine, too.  Hope you enjoy your time here at QCA. Great group of people to answer any and all questions you may have.       Susan

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
LisaC930 replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 4:33 PM

Don't put scotch guard on it.

----------

Best Electric Blankets

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,650
Points 135,977
Leslie replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 5:14 PM

Hi Guy, I would just wash as needed.   welcome to the club

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,560
ls2116 replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 6:39 PM

Welcome !!  Just wash as others here said no scotchguard or starch i will tell ya.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Feb 23 2013 8:35 PM

Susan :
Welcome, Guy ! Hope your Mom enjoys her quilt. What a thoughtful daughter you are.

...or son!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 2
Points 145
Guy replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 10:56 AM

WOW, Thanks for the replies. I was hoping I might get one or two answers. I joined here yesterday after spending more than an hour searching the internet for an answer to my question and finding nothing of value. Ya'll (You all) confirmed my instinct to NOT pre-treat the quilt.

My mother has been sewing for as long as I can remember but I don't think she has ever made a quilt. The ones she has are from her relatives and her favorite was made by her great aunt in 1900. It's usually on the guest bed or draped over the foot of my parent's bed. It's cared for carefully and has been repaired several times.

I got the idea of making a quilt after finding a wooden quilting frame at a yard sale for $25. The gentleman made it for his wife and she used it for many years before she passed away. It's 3' X 8.5' and you roll the quilt tight as you work.  I started sewing more than 20 years ago by doing upholstery work and that segued into renaissance type costumes (picture the TV drama "The Tudors" and the movie "Dangerous Liaisons" ) which also use upholstery fabrics. I've never made anything other than costumes or furniture.

Everything I've done is self taught. This first quilt - it's King sized - is a basic pinwheel pattern with 4" wide strips between and smaller squares at the meeting points. I chose a forest green background and the squares are cut from a collection of old favorite cotton shirts repurposed. I kept track of the total time and just the hand quilting part took 117 hours.

My sister and nieces & nephew (ages 7 to 15) have kept track of the process through photos and now want to ask Grandma - after we surprise her with the quilt - to help them make their own quilts out of old cotton clothes. My mother is 77 and still makes dresses for the girls.

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,560
ls2116 replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 11:08 AM

If I didn't say welcome to club meant to last time.  This site is full of knowledge inspiration and the people are so helpful.  You said you hand quilted ...my hat is off to you bravo!  I just don't have the patience anymore for hand sewing.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 11:56 AM

Welcome to the club and to the fantastic world of quilting.  Sounds like you already have a handle on making quilts and sewing in general.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,461
Points 361,952
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 6:44 PM

Welcome Guy. I hope you share a photo of the quilt when you're done.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use