Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea Posted: Wed, Feb 20 2013 5:17 AM

I had to smile when I opened up my emails today - I have been talking about what this woman has taught me for years.  Beth Ferrier is a wonderful teacher and if you want to learn how to Applique' and not call it the A word - then you have an opportunity to take a class from her on Craftsy.  I have been a member of a group on yahoo that was called Appleboms - we made Beth's quilt each year that she would debut for free - we did a block each month - and I truly learned so much - then I got to see her teach in Lawton Oklahoma and wanted to get her here to Enid but our guild never was able to get her but my guild up in Ponca City did get her to come there and the guilds over in the Tulsa area piggybacked off of that visit.

She is an outstanding teacher and if you want to learn from one of the best I suggest you take her class.  When I first met her in Lawton, I dubbed myself her #1 fan and I still am - I have in my house at least 7 of the quilts that she has designed and they are some of my favorites.  I truly can't say that any one quilt in my house is my favorite cuz I am a quiltoholic - but I wouldn't be near the quilter I am today if I hadn't had the lessons that Beth first gave me for free in her BOMs each year and then I was truly willing to pay extra to take classes from her and definitely will pay for this class.

Thank you Craftsy for signing her up as one of your teachers.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,296
Points 45,850
Angele replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 7:03 AM

Thanks Thea. I will check this out!

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 7:28 AM

My curiosity certainly has been peaked.  I'm headed that way right now.

Thanks Thea

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 7:56 AM

My quilting friend Terri and I also attended a Beth Ferrier "Needle-turn applique by machine" class when she came to the Minnesota Quilt Show one summer.  She is such a good teacher, and quite humorous as well!  I wonder on Craftsy if she will share her favorite acronyms - SABLE and SOTST.  

Here is a picture of my completed class project. 

I used decorative stitching on the ribbons, but the flowers and leaves almost look like needle-turn applique.  This was a one-day class, so it will be interesting to see how many fun projects will be in a Craftsy class.

(...but Gini, I promise I will continue to practice my hand applique!  You are an excellent teacher, too!  Have you thought about teaching on Craftsy?)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,373
Points 48,745
Ginny replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 8:03 AM

Love your Beth Ferrier mini quilt, MNnancy.  Almost makes me want to sign up for her class.   Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 8:50 AM

Beautiful job on applique and quilting!

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:12 AM

]

this is me and Beth in 2010 when she taught at Ponca City.

This is my class project from that class - it never got finished - not sure why but this is the work I did in the class

This is me with the first quilt I made of Beth's called a year in the garden - it is one of my favorite quilts that I have made.  I need to take a better picture of it to post but I was learning and Beth's piecing instructions are absolutely fantastic.  I learned so much from her.  Not just about doing applique' - I do very little hand applique' because of the pain in my hands - I can't hold the needle anymore and sweep that fabric underneath but I love the way it looks - Beth allowed me to do applique' by hand and sew it down by machine and get exactly the same affect.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 10:31 AM

Thanks Thea I have already signed up for this class, Hve not had a chance to look at it yet. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,824
Points 352,532
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 10:56 AM

Thea,

I love Beth Ferrier as well. I love that she calls the wrong side of the fabric "the other side". She's a great instructor and I have a couple of her books.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use