Top 10 Posters

I need help...strip piecing question

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 190
Toojennifer posted on Tue, Feb 19 2013 10:02 PM

I am making  a sew a row quilt where the current row is mountains.

You cut two squares face to face.  Draw a diagonal line down the center and stitch 1/4 inch on either side of line. Cut the blocks on line that you drew then cut strips out of new blocks to get varying "peak" heights to sew together into new blocks.

Here's my problem:

After i put these new mountain blocks together there's no seam allowance and the highest peak tops will be cut off when i join these new blocks into rows.  What am i doing wrong?  I followed instructions i thought carefully.

Any help would be much appreciated as this is really bugging me.

Thanks,

Jennifer

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,299 Posts
Points 414,044
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:49 PM
Verified by Toojennifer

nana's right.    

you're over thinking this. once you put your seam on the second side, your point will reappear. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 190

The peak will no longer have a point once the seam allowance is sewn across is.  Let me try with a bigger pic here.   (I should use our good camera insead of my cell phone, I think).  As you can see that peak on the top right is going to be squared off.

:

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 190

Thanks you're very kind and it's awful nice of you to take a look at this for me, too.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,705 Posts
Points 436,495
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:34 PM

Jennifer

I think where you are having a problem is that you aren't considering that the side of the block will loose a 1/4" as well as the top of the block.  You should then have a point again.   Try laying a piece of fabric across the top as well as down the side and see if you don't have a point again.   With the first seam you always "loose" your tip but it returns with the second seam.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,023 Posts
Points 12,975

What book are you following or pattern. I don't think it will be squared off because the next piece on the right will meet 1/4" into your mountain thus giving you a 1/4" on the top or the next row. If you are nervous use a tasting stitch by hand or machine and sew a piece of fabric on side and then top. You'll see what I mean. Your basting will come out easily but it will help ease your mind. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,023 Posts
Points 12,975

Nana, I put my two cents in and went back to review and your comment was there. LOL. We were thinking alike. Hahaha

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,705 Posts
Points 436,495
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:44 PM

Look at these and see if it helps.

Point before seam....

Point after first seam....

Point after second seam...   and this will occur even if it is a binding or a border that you are adding.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,299 Posts
Points 414,044
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:49 PM
Verified by Toojennifer

nana's right.    

you're over thinking this. once you put your seam on the second side, your point will reappear. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
8 Posts
Points 190

Okay, you guys made me laugh.  I think I get it now and was indeed overthinking it. 

I had a ton of these sewn and was freaking out a bit.  (: 

Thanks so much!!

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use