Cutting Mat

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
17 Posts
Points 95
Evelyn posted on Sat, Feb 16 2013 12:28 PM

I am wondering is there a way to refresh your mat?  I am having trouble cutting.  I have changed the blade, and it helps some but it is like there is a spot on the blade  that don't  cut.  I am wondering if it is the mat.  I have used it for years.  I mean used it!  I love to quilt, so it is new put away.  It lays on top of my Big Board at all times.

I thought I read once that you lay then flat in the bath tub and I don't know what you did next.  I would like to find a way to keep using it.  I have been told to flip it over.  But then you loose the markings.

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
735 Posts
Points 18,400

That was discussed a couple of week ago over on the Quilting Board.  The person posting said to soak in lukewarm water and white vinegar for a 30 or so minutes, and then dry flat on towels or sheeting, keeping it out of the sun.  Someone else said after they did this they also scrubbed the mat with a gentle brush to remove any residual fibers that might be stuck in the mat.  Apparently that method works well on all but the older Fiscars mats.  But not sure how old.

Here is the link to the thread discussing this.  http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/refreshing-cutting-mat-t210862.html

The other thing is to turn the mat over.  You won't have the grid, but I tend not to use it very much anyway.

Brigit-Carol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,850 Posts
Points 85,825

I read on the internet somewhere that a quilter was telling how you should wash it in the bathtub and it will be like new. I guess they do get dry and brittle after some time. And this makes them supple again.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
2,904 Posts
Points 40,845
ls2116 replied on Sat, Feb 16 2013 11:13 PM

I never thought of washing my mat great idea.  AS for the rotary cutter miss cuts I've experienced that too mostly when I have too many layers I'm trying to cut through.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,850 Posts
Points 85,825

Is, i was told, awhile back, that if you are cutting a bunch of layers at once, it works much better with a 60mm ruler. If someone here can tell us if that is true, just speak up now.

Sukochi

Top 100 Contributor
Female
872 Posts
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 9:33 PM

The 60mm works better for multiple layers for me.  

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use