Top 10 Posters

What size is your binding?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 32 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Thu, Feb 14 2013 7:37 AM

While I was browsing through my LQS, I came upon a demo quilt that had a wider than usual binding.  The gal who made the quilt just happened to be working there at the time and she showed me her technique.  She used 3" strips instead of 2.5 and did some other tricks while turning the mitered corners.  I tried it at home but failed miserably.  I liked the wider look, and since have gone back to 2.5 strips, I have been using 2.25" for a while but now love the wider look.  

Has anyone used strips wider than 2.5" for binding?  and my question to you all is what is your favorite binding width and do you have any great tricks to the trade for that perfect binding.  I thought I had seen it all, but I was truly mistaken.  I will go back to LQS and take some pictures and post them.

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,514 Posts
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 10:48 AM

Hi Gang,    Another thing I do, I save all the bits of leftover binding and sew them all together with the diagonal seam.  When I make a scrap quilt, what better way to bind it than a scrap binding.  Some pieces may only be 8 inches long and some may be 25 inches long....doesn't matter.  Just put together and voila....binding all made and ready to go.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
872 Posts
Points 14,245
Dara replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 11:26 AM

Great Idea Diana!   Believe it or not as I was reading through this discussion, I was thinking of the pieces of binding that I've got left over from previous projects that are sitting waiting in a bin.  I've been thinking that they would be great for a scrap quilt.  Now I just need the quilt to go with them LOL  I always use a 2.5 inch binding but I think I will try the 3" next time! 

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,779 Posts
Points 122,380

Diana:
I save all the bits of leftover binding and sew them all together with the diagonal seam.  When I make a scrap quilt, what better way to bind it than a scrap binding. 

Great idea Diana. I don't know why I didn't think of doing that. I'll have to dig my extra bindings out of my "Don't Know What To Do With" bin.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 3 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use