Top 10 Posters

What size is your binding?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 32 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie posted on Thu, Feb 14 2013 7:37 AM

While I was browsing through my LQS, I came upon a demo quilt that had a wider than usual binding.  The gal who made the quilt just happened to be working there at the time and she showed me her technique.  She used 3" strips instead of 2.5 and did some other tricks while turning the mitered corners.  I tried it at home but failed miserably.  I liked the wider look, and since have gone back to 2.5 strips, I have been using 2.25" for a while but now love the wider look.  

Has anyone used strips wider than 2.5" for binding?  and my question to you all is what is your favorite binding width and do you have any great tricks to the trade for that perfect binding.  I thought I had seen it all, but I was truly mistaken.  I will go back to LQS and take some pictures and post them.

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
691 Posts
Points 13,170
Diane, show us a few pics of them! Are there any in your gallery?

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,514 Posts
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 6:52 PM

Here's some of my crazy binding fabrics that I find.  The one quilt has a binding that was cut on the straight of grain but was a diagonal print.   Hope these make some sense....lol    I've found some even crazier.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Michelle:
I haven't seen a pieced binding ? Do you have any pictures of this? Would love to try something new.

Visit this site for examples!   Colorwise Quilt

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,570 Posts
Points 30,589
Kelley replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 7:00 PM

wonderful fabric

Diana:

Top 150 Contributor
Female
691 Posts
Points 13,170
Suggested by Diana
Not sure if this is from Diane or Kelley? But I love the colors! So it looks like u look for material that has some type of stripe in it for the bindings?

Michelle B

Top 150 Contributor
Female
691 Posts
Points 13,170
Diana , now you have me hooked! I'm going to be looking for these prints now

Michelle B

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

This is really interesting. I've always used 2 1/2" but I'm thinking I will use 3" next time and see how it looks.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,209 Posts
Points 16,230

MNnancy:
Visit this site for examples!   Colorwise Quilt
                     Great site, Nancy, I could not have said it as well as that site showed it.                                                                                                                                                                                   Annie I use mostly 3" bindings, too. But I do a lot of flannel quilts, so the wider binding is easier to work with. I also leave a 1/4" of  batting on when squaring up quilt for binding and it fills up the binding very nicely.   Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,719 Posts
Points 121,420

Susan :
so the wider binding is easier to work with. I also leave a 1/4" of  batting on when squaring up quilt for binding and it fills up the binding very nicely.

I was wondering how the wider binding filled up the space. I didn't think about leaving a wider batting. I may try this on a future quilt and see how I like it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,152 Posts
Points 17,665

I seem to have better luck with 2 1/2 inch seams,anything smaller and I have a big problem with the  mitered corners. I have not tried 3 inch bindings, maybe I'll have to give it a try.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,152 Posts
Points 17,665

I meant 2 1/2 in binding not seam, sorry.

Top 75 Contributor
1,514 Posts
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 5:53 AM

Hi Michelle,

The fabrics I find are either kind of stripy or I have one that I'm going to use for a kids bright quilt that looks like the ends of square pencils all different heights.  It's kind of wierd and the shop owner asked me what the heck I was going to do with it?  I'll have to get a pic of it to put on here.  The print is maybe 1/4 inch but when you fold it in half and only see a small bit, it looks really great for binding.  The wilder, the better....lol   I always buy a yard of these crazy fabrics, whatever quilt size, that should do for a binding.  Happy Hunting....lol

Diana (Bink) in East Tn. 

Top 150 Contributor
Female
691 Posts
Points 13,170
Thanks for the yardage amt, Diana. That will help when il looking. Now of course you know that I have to start a fabric stash marked binding!

Michelle B

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 9:15 AM

Me too, thanks for the info on purchasing the striped fabrics.  I also loved pieced bindings.  I usually use 3" for my bindings, they look so nice.

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use