introduction

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 180
Linda Deen posted on Wed, Feb 13 2013 3:18 PM

Hello,  I am new to FMQ and new to QCA I have been taking some online courses from Craftsy.  I know everybody has their own style but Leah Day's not dropping the feed dogs is really new.   Everything that I have every read or seen, tells you to drop the feed dogs.  Leah's says that most sewing machines are not really designed to drop the feed dogs and by doing so it really messes up the tension of your machine.

Anybody have any thoughts.  I did experiment with her idea and could not really tell any difference.

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,666 Posts
Points 120,350

Linda Deen:

Leah's says that most sewing machines are not really designed to drop the feed dogs and by doing so it really messes up the tension of your machine.

Anybody have any thoughts.

Welcome Linda. Glad to have you with us.  That's news to me. I always drop my feed dogs.  Thanks for passing this on, I'm going to have to check with my Viking dealer and see what they say.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,403 Posts
Points 47,130
Angele replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 3:50 PM

I have watched Leah Day too. I feel I have better control on the movement of my quilt since I don't drop my feed dogs. I just put the stitch length to 0.  By the way Linda welcome to QCA. I think you will meet some amazing quilters here. I know I have and they are always willing to share their knowledge.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 3:51 PM

Linda

Welcome to the site.  I hope you enjoy your time with us.   I love Leah Day's designs but I still drop my feed dogs.  I guess old habits are hard to break...LOL

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,205 Posts
Points 16,165

Welcome, Linda ! I have never heard this, either. Will be interesting to see what everyone has to say on the subject of not dropping the feed dogs. Where are you in Arkansas? I have some friends in Springdale near Bentonville. We took a trip there a few years ago and also went over to Branson, Missouri, beautiful country. I can,t wait to go back. Hope you enjoy your time here with us. They are a great bunch of quilters and will become friends as well.   Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,821 Posts
Points 365,892
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 4:05 PM

Linda,

I have two machines (both Pfaffs) and it depends on which I'm using. On the older model (Creative 2170) it tells me to drop the feed dogs when I turn on the FMQ setting. The newer one (Creative 4.0) doesn't require dropping them. I find FMQ easier on the newer model.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,656 Posts
Points 136,082

Hi Linda, welcome.  What  little quiltiing i do i drop the feed dogs

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

On my Bernina 440QE, the stitch regulator beeps at me if I forget to drop the feed dogs.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 7:14 PM

judy, if you are sewing on a sapphire, i think it automatically drops the feed dogs when you arein FMQ mode.   however, today on my viking, i forgot to set it to FMQ when i turned it on and quilted for a few inches in regular mode before i noticed it felt different.   my stitches must be getting pretty even for me not to notice that right off.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,666 Posts
Points 120,350

gini:
judy, if you are sewing on a sapphire, i think it automatically drops the feed dogs when you arein FMQ mode.  

No, it doesn't drop by itself. I also thought it was supposed to and asked at the shop but was told I needed to drop it manually. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 180

Thank you for replying.  

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 180

HI,

I am not far from Branson Missouri.  About 60 miles south.  I am close to Harrison Arkansas and Mountain Home.  I have been to Springdale.  it is  about 120-130 miles west of me.   My goal this year is to really learn this FMQ.  I have played around with it for years.   I am glad that Crafty came along. I am learning alot.

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 180

I have a Janome 1600 which has a plate that covers the feed dogs.  I went out about two weeks ago and purchased a Bernina with a stitch regulator.  I just felt that I was never going to master this FMQ

I wish I had waited longer before purchasing that Bernina.  The stitch regulator is not what I expected.

I did try it out at the dealer and thought that I liked it.  But I will keep practicing with it.

We will see

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 180

I got a new Bernina 550Qe and you have to drop the feed dogs.  I just had never heard of it.  I was surprised.   

Top 100 Contributor
Female
790 Posts
Points 20,040
Carol replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 10:42 PM

Linda Deen:
I am not far from Branson Missouri.  About 60 miles south.  I am close to Harrison Arkansas and Mountain Home.

Hi Linda, welcome to the group, you'll love it here!  I live not far from you in Arkansas - will you be coming to the Branson Retreat?  I plan to visit while they're here, it's so close I don't need to stay overnight, but hoping to meet these great ladies and talk some quilting!

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use