Hand Quilting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
22 Posts
Points 700
Mary Wrigley posted on Tue, Feb 12 2013 6:36 PM

I have 2 questions, one is how do you count stitches and the other is what is the best way to remove pencil marks after you've quilted. 

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 6:56 PM

Hi, Mary--

I'm taking a break from here for a bit, but I did see your question.

Count the stitches both on the top and the back to get your stitches per inch.

The best method I found for removing pencil makrs from a quilt (the quilt must be washable) is 1/4 cup water, 3/4 cup rubbing alchohol and 7 or 8 drops Palmolive or Ivory dish detergent.  Stir together and apply with a soft toothbrush--rub gently.  Wash quilt in your usual manner.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Not Ranked
Female
22 Posts
Points 700

Thanks so much Pat for your quick response. Even though I do mostly hand quilting, I never could find in any book how to count them. So since they say 10-12 stiches per inch is what I should be looking for I think I may be a little too small. I  think I'm getting almost 12-14 and it's taking me forever. 

Also the advise on the removal , ugh, I'm okay with using a toothbrush on the non embroidered part, i guess i'll just try letting it soak a while with the solution and see what happens.   

Top 150 Contributor
Female
402 Posts
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 8:02 AM

Mary--

Please make sure to do a test on a sample piece before using any method.  You never know how some things will react with treatments.  Good luck.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Not Ranked
Female
22 Posts
Points 700

will do , thanks. 

Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

Mary, I do a lot of hand quilting, and I have searched for the correct method of counting.  The best explanation I've found is whichever way you count -- top and bottom or top only -- when you quote your stitches reference how you counted.  In other words, I quilted 24 stitches top and bottom or 12 stitches top only.  If you are getting 12 to 14 stitches on top only, you are considered an expert according to Roxanne McElroy.  Don't worry so much about how many stitches, make a stitch that you like and that is consistent.  Also, the number of stitches you can get depends on the thread count of your fabric and the grain direction you are quilting.  So, on the same piece of fabric you might not be able to get the same number of stitches going north and south that you can going east and west.  Also, remember hand quilting is time consuming work, but worth it ... at least I think it is.

Jane

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

Mary, I forgot to add that I wash my quilts in Dreft or Ivory soap and have never had a problem getting the pencil marks out.

Jane

Not Ranked
Female
22 Posts
Points 700

Thanks Jane that helps me a lot. I haven't been quilting for a long time I guess you can say. I just like hand quilting verses sewn quilting. It's a personal thing with me. I am now able to dedicate more time to it than before. I have noticed as you said that depending on the fabric weight and thickness of the quilt my count differs. I have read that hand quilted ones needs to be cared for differently.  I tell anyone who I've given one to to wash in baby shampoo, but I guess Dreft would be about the same.  This site is so helpful I really appreciate ya'll responses.   

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use