Top 10 Posters

Do you send out your quilt to be quilted by someone else?

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 11 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,325
Sara Posted: Tue, Feb 12 2013 5:23 PM

How many of you pay to  have your quilt quilted by someone that has a long arm machine? Do you ever feel like then your quilt isn't really completely done by you? Just curious. If you do have someone else do it what are the reasons you do or if you don't why not then?

• | Post Points: 155
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 870
Points 14,235
Dara replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 5:34 PM

Hi Sara,

I do small projects myself.  The larger ones I send to be long-armed.  Also, if I don't want to take a chance on messing something up like the cross stitch quilts we do as a group at work, I send it out.  Yes, I haven't done it all myself.  But, it is done.  So far I much much much prefer the piecing and binding (yes binding) to the actual quilting.

Mineral Wells, West Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 6:09 PM

I only quilt small projects,  I send the larger ones out.   I have found i don't like the quilting part,  so why not let someone who likes it do it

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,325
Sara replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 6:10 PM

Thanks Dara for the response. I am in the process of quilting my first quilt and am finding that I am not enjoying it much. But I wanted to say that I did my first one completely myself. I think I would do small projects like a table runner or something but think if I do another quilt I would send it out. I enjoyed the piecing a bunch. I look forward to hearing what others have to say. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 1,325
Sara replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 6:12 PM

Leslie :

I have found i don't like the quilting part,  so why not let someone who likes it do it

Good point Leslie. :)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,383
Points 19,080

Hi Sara,

It's funny because I asked the same question when I first started. I find that I like the quilting part a lot. I don't really have the money to make a quilt and have someone else quilt it. I'd rather quilt it myself. I practice all the time after I took a class at my LQS. I think it just depends on your personal preference.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,576
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 7:25 PM

Hi Sara I'd rather complete it myself.  Mostly because of cost to send out, and thats why I bought my mid arm machine so that I could complete a quilt thats large size.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 615
Points 11,735
Michelle replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 8:11 PM
Sara, I started quilting only about 3 years ago, but on my first quilt, I was trying to decide how to quilt it also. (of course I don't start small, my first quilt was a king sized for our bed!). The quilt shop close to us where I was learning BOM also, had a long arm computerized that she rented for $25/hour and she would help you set it up on the long arm (she zippers on), help you pick out a pattern and thread, then helps you monitor the machine as it is working. I thought this was a great way to start, not a lot of money invested, but "I" was quilting my own. She now has a long arm that is not computerized that you can rent for $20/hour if you want to learn that process. Now I have found several of our quilt stores in town have rented long arms, they only require you to come to a 1-2 hour class prior to learn the machine. It defiantly gives you an idea of Long arm quilting, whether you like it, etc. After about an year of this, my husband decided he was going to buy a long arm and now we have it set up in my new sewing room (last child in college-his room!) I really enjoy the quilting process, all the creativity that goes into deciding what I want "draw" on my quilts. Just a few ideas to think about.

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,162
Points 15,470
Susan replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 8:32 PM

Welcome, Sara ! I have not seen you on before. I send mine out and she only charges a penny a sq. foot so its very inexpensive to me. I do want to learn eventually , just need to practice, practice and practice. I like the whole process of piecing except the binding .I make myself do it and really enjoy the finished product.   Susan

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 185

I have always quilted my own quilts. I bought a Juki about 10 years ago and a Inspira frame. I love my Juki but the frame is put away....takes up so much room and you can only quilt like 6 inches at a time. The older I get the more I consider sending my quilts out. I am a bit timid about it though. How does one do it? Is my quilt good enough or will they struggle with it. 

But really I tend to just make smaller projects now that I can quilt easily on my Juki.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,237
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 10:14 PM

I do my own quilting. I use a Babylock QCP on a New Joy Magic frame. I've done smaller projects (and working on a big one) on my regular machine but it's very uncomfortable.

I have a quilt larger than my frame that will be done at the local machine dealer's shop. I've taken a class and will do the quilting myself on their longarm. I hope to purchase my own some day.

I don't really have a reason to do my quilting myself.  I just do. I enjoy everything about quilting except bindings. I'll pay to have those done LOL.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 10:20 PM

Sara

I enjoy the quilting process.  I do all my own quilting on my DSM.  I tried one on the frame for awhile but have found that I can't handle the standing to quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 10:28 PM

i send them out, when i get too many quilts backed up or i need to get one done quickly, or if it is a pettern i'm not good at that i want on the quilt. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 10:59 PM

Sara,I to do my own quilting,  I really enjoy that part, I have been working very hard for the past year to improve my skills ,it just takes lots of pratice and patience. And it has to be fun or you won't like it .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 8:39 AM

I'm with Barbara, I do all my own quilting on my DSM.  Needless to say they are far from perfect, but, like Barbara, I have been trying to improve my skills by being patient with myself.  I have gotten a renewed sense of inspiration after viewing Leah Day's youtube videos and taking her Craftsy class.

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use