Points 100
annelin posted on Tue, Feb 12 2013 8:02 AM

What do other quilters do to get quality fabric at an affordable price?  Thanks

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Watch for sales at our trusted local quilt shops!  :-)

There are online sources that offer fabric at reduced prices because they don't have to support a physical store, but you have to know your fabric brands to ensure you're getting quality.  We had a fabric review discussion started a while back.  I'll have to see if I can locate that again.

I see this is your first post.  Welcome to QCA!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
48 Posts
Points 760

Hi,

I do a lot of online shopping for fabric. However a person has to be very carefull. The colors that you see on the screen sometimes are not exactly the same as the actual fabric. I have had fabric come for specific projects in mind and was not happy with the results.  When in doubt i can always use the "cheaper" priced fabrics for quilt backs if i am not totally happy.

I also frequent my lqs to check out the new lines. I really have to like a fabric to pay full price for it.

I can't help it if I am a thrifty shopper. lol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,620 Posts
Points 119,560

Valerie:
I also frequent my lqs to check out the new lines. I really have to like a fabric to pay full price for it.

I'm the same way Valerie.  All of our local quilt shops have 30-50% sale sections and I go there first to find fabrics. One always has selection of 5 yard pieces for $25 which I often pick up. Also, during our annual shop hop the shops have fantastic discount sections and I usually find great fabrics. It is possible to be thrifty and still get high quality fabrics. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,180
Jacy replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 9:39 AM

I always check out the clearance rack at my local store, it pays to be on the mailing list of local and online stores to get notifications of sales.

Here's some online stores that have have good everyday prices.

thousandsofbolts.com

connectingthreads.com   (free shipping with $50 purchase)

quiltfabriccloseouts.com

I always check out the clearance/sale sections of the online stores too.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,407 Posts
Points 415,669
gini replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 10:00 AM

hi annelin, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
386 Posts
Points 6,625
Phyllis replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 11:34 AM

Fabricshack.com is another online store that I have bought fabric from and have never been disappointed.

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,199 Posts
Points 16,075
Susan replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 11:45 AM

Welcome, Annelin !  Hope you enjoy your time here at QCA with us. If you scroll down on your members page you will see a list of quilt shops. They are all recommended by QCA quilters. I love Missouri Star Quilt Co, they have good prices and sales. If you sign up for e-mails you will get the daily deal every day. Jenny Doan,s  children own the shop and she runs it. She has classes on Craftsy.com and free tutorials. Keepsake Quilting is a good one also.   Susan

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 100

Thank you for all of the suggestions, I will definitely check them out!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use