Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #7

Page 136 of 165 (2473 items) « First ... < Previous 134 135 136 137 138 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,472 Replies | 40 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, May 3 2013 11:11 AM | Locked

Karla:
This will be the first vegetable garden since we've moved to the Nevada high desert.  I'm not sure how it's going to turn out...our soil is alkaline and the weather is very, very dry.  We are lucky to have 4 or 5 inches of precipitation in a year and most of that is snow in the winter.

Karla, I garden in a similar area with high winds too.  Our valley gets about 7 inches of precipitation per year mostly in snow.  But what little rainfall we get usually misses our little ridge due to the prevailing winds - leaving us high and dry.   I also should mention that we are on a glacial rock outcropping with very sandy, alkaline soil...what little there is of it.  It has been a real challenge to garden here!  Picking the right spot (the only area out of 22 acres with any soil more than a 1/2 inch thick), using raised bed (even 6" beds is better than nothing) and lots of manure and compost to improve the soil have helped us a lot.  I didn't mention that our first frost-free estimate is around Memorial Day and we can expect first frost anytime after Labor Day?  So, our season is very short!  And, I didn't mention the deer, gophers, birds, grasshoppers -  sometimes I wonder why I even bother.  But, we love the fresh produce we get from our garden, so...

One suggestion for you...You might try a product called "Soil Moist".  It's little tiny balls of some poly-something-or-other that soak up water and slowly releases it over time.  If you dig this in per the instructions around the root zone, it will keep the moisture where your plant's roots can use it longer.  It only lasts for a year or so (in my experience), so you need to replace it - but it does help with the watering issues.  I've used it around the tomatoes, cukes and peppers with great success.  

Good luck with your new garden!

Here is a picture of our garden last year in early June - note the frost covers and the sunshade cloth over the lettuce/spinach bed...we get them both - at the same time.  (Note, the garden does look a lot better later in the year!)

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,560
Points 47,935
Pat Lancaster replied on Fri, May 3 2013 11:46 AM | Locked

Last year my son's debit card got hit. I dropped him off at the Tampa airport and when he got off the plane in Houston he got a call from the fraud dept. His card had been hit over 60 times in 15 minutes. They totally emptied his account. His bank got the money back within a week. There was a story on the news about a small device that can read your card's magnetic strip while it is in your wallet or purse. They can be bought on Ebay for about $100. (Thanks for passing that info to all the would be thieves.) I recently had 3 different credit cards get hit, got calls from all of the credit card companies. One thing you can do to safeguard your card is to keep them in a metal container. You can buy  a small case for this but I just made a sleeve out of aluminum foil and keep in the pocket of my wallet. The device cannot read through metal. I also do not carry a lot of cards with me at one time. We need to be careful of online purchases as well. It is a good idea to ask your bank about their policy on handling these occurances. I dealt with American Express, Visa and Discover and had no problem getting new cards and no charges.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 40,870
ls2116 replied on Fri, May 3 2013 4:32 PM | Locked

Well no such luck for vacation but they might take me for a day trip somewhere close by.  

Sukoshi did you mean Nana broke her foot?  Beautiful snowball bush, and sorry to here of your latest problem sure is a pain have patience is all i can say.

My MQ8 has evolved and its ready for sandwiching now I'm so excited about it now.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Fri, May 3 2013 4:45 PM | Locked

Prayers going up for Nantenn and Miss Maddie

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 40,870
ls2116 replied on Fri, May 3 2013 4:52 PM | Locked

Nantenn if its you with broken foot I sure hope and pray it mends quickly for you.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Fri, May 3 2013 4:52 PM | Locked

Donna your garden is something else.  I've never been in that area but it looks like you have been very creative in gardening.  Is that spring onions on the left side.  I say every year I'm going to plant some in my flower beds.  Good luck this year.

Joyce

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Fri, May 3 2013 4:56 PM | Locked

Joyce:

Donna your garden is something else.  I've never been in that area but it looks like you have been very creative in gardening.  Is that spring onions on the left side.  I say every year I'm going to plant some in my flower beds.  Good luck this year.

Joyce

Thanks!  No, that is garlic - planted the fall before and ready for harvest usually in mid-July.

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,595
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Fri, May 3 2013 5:12 PM | Locked

Actually, I have a container garden (I've done that for the past couple of years) and a raised bed now.  Tomatoes are in containers as they always have been...last year was a bad year, but the year before I had so many I couldn't give them all away, so I canned them.  My raised bed will be used for the vining plants, like cucumbers, watermelon, and green beans, plus a row of green (or spring) onions and radishes.  

I use vermiculite in the garden, those little white beads that hold water, and they do help.  As far as a soaker hose, my husband has put in a drip system on a timer, so everything will get watered, even if we're not here.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,850
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Fri, May 3 2013 7:29 PM | Locked

ls2116:
Sukoshi did you mean Nana broke her foot?  
 No IS,  I mean Nan (nantenn). She, as it turns out now, did not break her foot but has a severely sprained ankle. The second one in 30 days! That girl can not stand upright ,anymore.

The person who used my card number was in Parker, CO. Used it twice for $100. each time. They caught it immediately and froze my account. Had a new card ready to go in the mail by the time the man at the bank called me back with the info He said the number was probably skimmed locally and the number sold out of state. Thank God for Regions Bank being on their toes. This will not cost me one red cent. But, I do feel violated. 

Sukochi

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 266
Points 4,965
Lesley replied on Sat, May 4 2013 4:25 AM | Locked

Why do some people think they have the right to do these things to other people really glad they didn't get away with it.

big hugs to Nan , I have heard it said sometimes a break is less painful than a sprain.

well the wedding is tomorrow so need to get the show on the road. I have had my hair done, need to wash the car wait for DH to get home from golf and pack the car. I am really looking forward to tomorrow and if I could shake off the cough and snotty nose would be a lot happier I'll keep taking the medicine and hope it sorts itself out by the morning.

will post some pics when I get back.

have a great weekend we intend to! Xxxx

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,906
Points 40,870
ls2116 replied on Sat, May 4 2013 6:59 AM | Locked

Lesley have a great time at wedding.  I'm just doing the usual cleaning... house sewing area gardens and garage last on my list..

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,630
Points 52,280
Ginny replied on Sat, May 4 2013 7:09 AM | Locked

Have a great time at the wedding, Lesley.   Blessings to all.    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,850
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sat, May 4 2013 11:51 AM | Locked

Really nasty day here. Very strong wind gusts, rain and flood warning out. Good day to stay in and sew.

Not much else to report. Just a quiet day....inside!

Have a quilty day.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,497
Points 48,230
Angele replied on Sat, May 4 2013 9:40 PM | Locked

Sukochi, congratulations on the safe arrival of your new Matilda.  She's lovely.  

Cc, I see your brother really wants you to miss him, that's why he leaves a few things unfinished...lol

nan, I hope your ankle will heal fairly quickly.  A bad sprain is very painful.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and Maddie..  

Baby kitten is so cute! 

I really enjoy the flowers I see here. The sn... Is gone but the temps are low...40 was the highest this week.  Rain today...all day.  I hope to see sun soon.

my mom is doing ok. She should use her cane as her balance is off, but a cane is for old people and at 90 she's not there yet...her words. My Dad's sister passed away at 93 years of age.  She is now happy with her DH.  His DSIL passed away five days before at 92. It has been a difficult week all over.  So out of nine siblings, there is my Dad(97),his baby sis(84), and baby bro(82) still alive.  

im anxious to go see them this summer

Angèle  from NWO

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 356
Points 6,195
nantenn replied on Sun, May 5 2013 10:39 AM | Locked

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. This sprain is so much worse than last one

and to make matters worse i fell again trying to go to bathroom, and cell phone is hiding from me. And i need  ice.  Miss maddie took off.yesterday to. Stay at dad.'s,  Boy do i miss her help..

later,

Nan

Page 136 of 165 (2473 items) « First ... < Previous 134 135 136 137 138 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use