Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #7

Page 20 of 165 (2473 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,472 Replies | 40 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 12:06 PM | Locked

They just posted the official pictures from the Doggy Dash with a lot of pictures of costumes that I missed.  

So, if interested, go here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/re951nqv96ejk21/rAqthv2fL0

Now, don't get too concerned, but  there are a few dog-teeth showing in a couple of pictures. No animals or people were hurt at this event! It was all in.good fun! And we cleared $300 for a good cause!!!  Some of the dogs get very competitive when racing...especially Kramer (owned by Paul in tye-dye shirt) and Strykker (owned by Kip in "lamb in sheep's clothing".   We all know who they are and keep our dogs clear of them...lol!  Funny thing during the race set-up, Paul refused to be in the same heat with Kip because Strykker was too mean...HaHa...Kramer is just as bad.  Neither dog likes to be passed by another dog!  Our dog had a run in with Kramer a few years ago, so we learned to keep her away from Kramer!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 4:57 PM | Locked

The talk of the Civil War has been interesting.  I've been researching my gggrandfather's roll in the Union army.  I'm making 6 Civil War quilts along with 6 scrapbooks about his service.  He joined the Union army at the beginning and stayed in the war until the end.  He weighed 180 lbs when he joined up, and weighed 85 lbs at the end.  

He was with Sherman from Vicksburg, helped burned Atlanta, marched to the sea and then made his way up to North Carolina (where I live).  He went into the hospital a month before the surrender at the Bennett Place in Durham, NC.   He was one of those damn yankees who burned Atlanta in Gone with the Wind.  

I've really learned a lot about what the men went through during the war, on both sides.  It was a terrible, terrible war.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 5:51 PM | Locked

Christine, where did he muster in? I have a gg who blew the bugle during the Battle Of Atlanta. Don't say that much around here. I get rather rude comments. Also  my great, great grandfather mustered in ,in this area, I was able to find his entire records, stories of the battles he fought in, and all of his paperwork from the Archives in Atlanta. It is amazing reading. One of his wife's uncles was taken prisioner by the Union, and was held at a prison hospital, due to illness. When he was on his deathbed, was allowed to go back to the Confederate Army so he would not die a prisioner of war. This was an incredible act, on the part of the Union.  Of course, here in the South, you can't just find any information, much, on the Union service. My Uncle lives Arlington, VA., 5 mins from Mount Vernon, and has told me that I would LOVE the National Archives.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,949
Points 368,282
Kris replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 8:02 PM | Locked

Donna B:
All you animal lovers out there, I spent my day helping with our annual "Doggy Dash"!  We had a great turn out of both participants and spectators today.

It's a fun event with a six-legged team (a dog[4] and a person[2] on skis) dress up and compete for best costume first and then, if interested, in a race with their dogs. 

Very cool Donna.

Donna B:
Help, I know there is a better way to do a link, but I don't know how!

When you create the link you can choose how it opens. The drop down next to "Target" has those options.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 8:47 PM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

Christine, where did he muster in? I have a gg who blew the bugle during the Battle Of Atlanta. Don't say that much around here. I get rather rude comments. Also  my great, great grandfather mustered in ,in this area, I was able to find his entire records, stories of the battles he fought in, and all of his paperwork from the Archives in Atlanta. It is amazing reading.

He mustered in at Iowa, which is where I'm from.  I ordered all the records from the War Dept last year and it's been so interesting.  I would love to find a photo of him in his uniform but I don't think it exists.  There wasn't one with the paperwork anyway.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 8:53 PM | Locked

Linda, I also have resident male and female cardinals.  They have been around for the last four years that I've noticed.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,829
Points 39,955
ls2116 replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:42 PM | Locked

I'm just settling in from run to hospital.  Also today went to three lqs seen bernina 830 wow thats like buying a car but too steep for me.  Went to viking they said they could move me in to topaz for 2, Brother shop on phone was also steep lets face it if I want embroidery I might have to pay someone rather than make it myself .  So I'm leaning towards janome 6600 or Viking topaz but I'm still not in any rush.  I was talking it over with DH tonight and he asked what are you doing with your other machines selling them ?  I told him i'd be keeping them.  Then I told him I want one more really good machine before I die.  All he said was hopefully you don't die right after getting it because I wont know what to do with it .  No steamstack or anything !  It was a wonderful day needless to say.  I'll be shopping more . 

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 12:17 AM | Locked

delete

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 12:21 AM | Locked

Is, have you looked on ebay for used machines?  find out what you would like then go to ebay and watch those machines and see how much they are going for used.  you might get a pretty good deal there. 

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 5:29 AM | Locked

Christine and Sukochi,    I have a great-great-grandfather who marched with Sherman too.  He mustered in up in NY.  I was told by my grandfather that he helped burn down Atlanta, marched with Sherman to the sea and to North Carolina.  It's a small world.  I now live in Tn. from upstate NY and keep it to myself around here in public.   I love history and have a family tree back to the 1600's on my Dad's side.  And I'd love to get more info on my Mom's side but it's hard because my great-grandmother was orphaned, adopted, married twice.....  I have all her names and a bit of info, but it can be daunting. 

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 6:50 AM | Locked

Is

Keep on trying, let these dealers know that you might be interested in one of their trade-ins.  People are always up-grading their machines.  Let him know which brands you would be most interested in buying.

That is how I got my Baby Lock Ellegante...I could never have afforded it otherwise.  I love it and use it for embroidery as well as just sewing.  You might think of that as you wait.  Once you find and purchase the Emb. machine, use it for everything you can and then you might just sell your others and use that money to buy more fabric LOL!

Yeah I know, I can't bring myself to sell any of my machines, my featherweight is so special, my serger is a must, and my brother is an everyday machine for quick piecing downstairs.  When the Lord takes me home, then my loved ones can do what they want with everything, hopefully one of my lovely great nieces will want to quilt or sew.

Hope you find the machine you want at a price you can afford.  Happy hunting.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,144
Points 14,805
Dawn replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 7:30 AM | Locked

Good Grief that wind is so bad thought the siding was going to peal off!  Trying to decide if I want to go out there, need to renew drivers license.  yay.  But then I was going to go to Joann's to spend my b.day money.  My Mom gave me my present early.  :-) 

DH and I were going to head to Des Moines on Friday, but now they are talking 20" of that white stuff, and there is no way I wanna be driving interstate 80 in the middle of a snow storm.  It is notorious for lots of accidents. 

Oh well, still have time to decide, like all day.  :-)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,829
Points 39,955
ls2116 replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 7:59 AM | Locked

had a early rise today, I'll be tired later though as I only got 4 hrs. sleep.  Tv said we'd be at 17 but were hovering at 40 maybe it will be early spring!  that would be great told DH I wasn't putting up pool this year to save on water but I remember how hot it was last summer.  I"ll probably put it up anyway. 

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 8:46 AM | Locked

Dawn:
Good Grief that wind is so bad thought the siding was going to peal off!

For us, too!   I drove to town for a 6:30 a.m. meeting, and I saw where a farm truck lost it load of those big round hay bales to the wind.  Now I'm back home and wondering if the dog will whine too much if we skip our long morning walk.  At just 6 degrees, I have to think the wind chill is well-below zero.  

Dawn:
DH and I were going to head to Des Moines on Friday, but now they are talking 20" of that white stuff

Oh, I hope they are wrong!  We head out on Sunday for a road trip to New Orleans.  Was looking forward to going somewhere warm.  It's been a long winter already with six weeks yet to go.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 10:05 AM | Locked

Diana:

Christine and Sukochi,    I have a great-great-grandfather who marched with Sherman too.  He mustered in up in NY.  I was told by my grandfather that he helped burn down Atlanta, marched with Sherman to the sea and to North Carolina.  It's a small world.  I now live in Tn. from upstate NY and keep it to myself around here in public.   I love history and have a family tree back to the 1600's on my Dad's side.  And I'd love to get more info on my Mom's side but it's hard because my great-grandmother was orphaned, adopted, married twice.....  I have all her names and a bit of info, but it can be daunting. 

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Cool!  Your gggrandfather was in Durham at the Bennett Place!  I live in Durham!  

I used Ancestry.com to trace my roots all the way back to .... ahem.... King Edward I "Longshanks".  He's my 21st G grandfather.  Not to thrilled to know he killed William Wallace... but that makes Princess Diana my 21st cousin, by marriage.... basically a rumor when it gets that far away, right?  LOL

Page 20 of 165 (2473 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use