Top 10 Posters

What Are You Up to Today? #7

Page 19 of 165 (2473 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,472 Replies | 40 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,607
Points 27,055
Debbie replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:42 AM | Locked

The Documentary Killing Lincoln is on TV tonight and I had about forgotten. Want to see thiat show. It is on the History channel for those of you who might be interested at 8 o'clock ,Eastern time.

Sukochi - is this by Gore Vidal, Jan Morris and Harold Holzer and Andrew Solomon?  I missed it last night and trying to see if on again. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,607
Points 27,055
Debbie replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 9:53 AM | Locked

The deep south is still fighting. 

Linda - I was born in Georgia, both my folks born and raised in very south GA, around Thomasville area, just north of Florida line.  My Dad, even after spending 20 years in the Air Force, still tells my DH about those "damn Yankees" who own various plantations around the area.  The South will never forget! 

and yes, I claim to be a Southerner, I know I wasn't raised in the South, but it is still in my blood.  Once a Southerner always a Southerner.  I get my Southern accent back when I go home for a few days and I still say ya'll (as evidenced in my posts.)  I still answer Yes, Ma'am and No, Sir to people.  I may not have grown up in the South but the South grew up in me with my parent's teaching.  Of course, those lessons never leave you. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:01 AM | Locked

It's a bright sunny morning with a pretty ground fog and lots of hoarfrost on the trees. The whole world is SchpawK-ly!!

Today I hope to get my blocks for the new quilt made. I had a lapful of help yesterday so some of my subsets will have to be frogged and re-stitched before I trim them up and get them assembled.

DD'd BF spent the afternoon with us, with plans to stay for dinner. Alas his family called just as I was setting the table and insisted that he was needed at home, so I didn't get to polute his system with massive quantitees of garlic and beans. Rats... The Chili wasn't that good anyway.

Glad Jim is feeling better today, Sukochi. 'Hope you are on the mend soon, too.

Donna, I loved the pet parade. What a fun way to raise funds!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,607
Points 27,055
Debbie replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:04 AM | Locked

Oh, forgot to say when I was down there a few years ago and Mom was in the hospital, all the nurses still called her Ms Dora.  Never just your first name when you are older than them.  there's a different mindset of a Southerner, you had to be born there to understand. And I'm talking born in the deep South, where you live out in the country, among the misquitoes and have stills, moonshine and hunting.  Not a city dweller, except maybe Savannah. 

It's funny because living here in OK and they'll tell me they are southerners but I'm not convinced.  OK is midwest and not SOUTH. 

mind you, most of this is IMHO. 

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,607
Points 27,055
Debbie replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:06 AM | Locked

SchpawK-ly!!

chocake 2 - what is that?

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:09 AM | Locked

There came a huge deal about taking down the Confederate Battle Flag, which was the State Flag of Georgia, awhile back. So, a new flag was chosen. What most don't know is that there were many battle flags during the War of Northern Agression and the NEW Georgia State flag, is STTILL a Confederate Battle Flag. Nope, they will never forget. I am anti-slavery. It was just wrong. That said, I had a fourth great grandfather who had 1000 slaves in Gwinnett County, Ga. He was a very wealthy landowner. Slaves were not cheap to buy. Most people had either no slaves or just a few. And, there were Black people who also had Black slaves, as did some of  the Indians. I have a side table and a rocking chair that were made by Levi Cooper's slaves.

What really concerns me now is the current slave trade in this Country. I think, and so do many others, that the children that are constanly disapearing are stolen for slavery. I saw an episode of "Katie" not long ago that was on the subject of slavery in America today. Very scary. I just have no idea what this world is coming to. But, I believe that God will come calling before too much longer and it won't matter any more, except to those with no faith in the Lord.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,543
Points 416,999
gini replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:14 AM | Locked

debbie, anything below boise on a map is southern.

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:44 AM | Locked

ls2116:
i've been thinking about a new machine if i go with pfaff their shop is about 75 mi away if I go with viking or janome their about 8 miles away.  Definitely longarm is out of question for me.  I have no space for it.  Don't want it to bust the pocketbook either.

ls, you sound like a perfect candidate for one of the bigger Janomes!  They have a generous throat, and the quilters here who have them RAVE about them all the time! That's what Barbara has, and you've seen her beautiful FMQ!   If I was in the market for a machine, I'd get either a 6500, 6600, 7700, or the newer 11000, depending on budget as they go progressively higher.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:46 AM | Locked

Debbie:

SchpawK-ly!!  chocake 2 - what is that? 

Debbie, I think that's "sparkly" said with kind of a British accent.  :-)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:52 AM | Locked

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
Donna, you certainly live in a gorgeous part of the C ountry. The pictures were wonderful. Looks like everyone had a great time. But I think I saw a few without coats!!

It wasn't the best sunshiny day, but not bad!  And, yes a lot of those that were skiing were not wearing coats!  It was around 35 degrees during the race and that is hot for cross-country skiing with a jacket!  You may also have seen the guy in the Hawaiian shirt and short in one of the pictures...now that really is minimal IMHO.  

Because I wasn't skiing and was helping at the Registration Table, I was bundled up in a down parka and had pack-boots on!  Just standing on the snow you tend to get cold.  When I am skiing in the "warmer weather" (over 40 degrees), I usually wear a polypropelene turtleneck with a fleece vest with light weight gloves and hat (plus light weight ski pants).  I don't like to ski in short sleeves!  Falling on spring snow is like falling on asphalt...it's can be very abrasive - something like sno-cone snow (little rocks of ice).  I'm a wuuss, I don't like to bleed - especiallly while skiing!  (I don't fall often, but it has been known to happen...LOL!)

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:55 AM | Locked

Debbie:

SchpawK-ly!!

chocake 2 - what is that?

"Sparkly" as said by a young and excited child.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 10:55 AM | Locked

Thanks everyone for your comments on the Doggy Dash pictures.  Glad you enjoyed them and the others on my blog...

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:42 AM | Locked

Downton Abbey for me also!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:44 AM | Locked

Debbie:

The Documentary Killing Lincoln is on TV tonight and I had about forgotten. Want to see thiat show. It is on the History channel for those of you who might be interested at 8 o'clock ,Eastern time.

Sukochi - is this by Gore Vidal, Jan Morris and Harold Holzer and Andrew Solomon?  I missed it last night and trying to see if on again. 

Debbie, all I know is that Tom Hanks was the narrator. We didn't pay any attention to who the actors were. All I know is it was incredilble.  I had seen one several years ago about the attempt to steal Lincoln's body. That was equally fantastic. Currently, I am reading Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini. It is a great read. Being a grenealogist and history buff, this is all right up my alley. 

Too bad I wasn't the least bit interested in history in school. Or, had even known how important it is to quiz the eleders in your family. Those stories are priceless.  My 3 cousin has tried for years to get her SIL on tape as she is in her mid90's and knew all the greats. But, she refuse to talk. We wonder if something happened that she intends to take to her death. I know her Grand father was killed by carpetbaggers, after the Civil War.  They hung him from a very huge old oak three on Sam Tate's property. I have been trying to prove or disprove Jim's connection to Gen. Lee. I have a little book that connects Jim's line to him but can't find the link myself. Jim is the 6th cousin of Laura Bush. I am the 5th cousin of Jimmy Carter.  I am alsso related to the two Pres. Harrisons, grandfather and grandson. This just totally is facinating to me. Oh, Jim is also related to Elvis Presley, and thus to Oprah Winfrey.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Feb 18 2013 11:56 AM | Locked

Donna B:

All you animal lovers out there, I spent my day helping with our annual "Doggy Dash"!  We had a great turn out of both participants and spectators today.

It's a fun event with a six-legged team (a dog[4] and a person[2] on skis) dress up and compete for best costume first and then, if interested, in a race with their dogs.  

All proceeds go to our local animal welfare agencies.  I've posted pictures on my blog page if you are interested...  The costumes are great and it was a really fun event!

Donna love your blog and all your beautiful pictures.  Your descriptions are hilarious.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 19 of 165 (2473 items) « First ... < Previous 17 18 19 20 21 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use