Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #7

Page 79 of 114 (1700 items) « First ... < Previous 77 78 79 80 81 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,699 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 5:15 PM | Locked

Ha! Nancy, I got ya beat. Try 5 and 1/4 inches!! and, the quilt is 49 x 55!!  I am perplexed to say the least. Nan suggested lots of breaks as this is really making me tense. Good think I have almost a month before it has to be totally finished.  This could take awhile.

Thanks, Karla for the suggestions.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,403
Points 47,130
Angele replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 10:09 PM | Locked

Sukochi:

Ha! Nancy, I got ya beat. Try 5 and 1/4 inches!! and, the quilt is 49 x 55!!  I am perplexed to say the least. Nan suggested lots of breaks as this is really making me tense. Good think I have almost a month before it has to be totally finished.  This could take awhile.

Thanks, Karla for the suggestions.

Sukochi, this is very narrow.  On my old machine. I did some rolling, and some squishing of the quilt.  I think my throat plate was a bit larger closer to the seven inch.  I think taking lots of breaks will be essential.  Are you using quilting gloves? I have used some gardening gloves with dots on fingers work well too, it helps to get control on your quilt.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 614
Points 10,610
zoetc49 replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 11:45 PM | Locked

Have you all found a good ironing board lately? Mine that is over 20 years old is sturdy, but there is one dent in it so it has a bump on it . So I went to go buy a new one and all of them were made so cheap and they just wiggled so much.  Have you found one you like? If not what do you use? I have a small home so my kitchen is my sewing room. 

Thanks

• | Post Points: 80
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,132
Points 17,475
weezee56 replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 12:27 AM | Locked

zoetc49:
Have you all found a good ironing board lately?

Do you have any Estate Sales/liquidation companys, resale shops or Salvation Armys in your area? Garage sales are also great places to find good ironing boards. We find great items at great prices too.
Good luck in your hunt.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 238
Points 4,295
Christine replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 4:58 AM | Locked

zoetc49:

Have you all found a good ironing board lately? Mine that is over 20 years old is sturdy, but there is one dent in it so it has a bump on it . So I went to go buy a new one and all of them were made so cheap and they just wiggled so much.  Have you found one you like? If not what do you use? I have a small home so my kitchen is my sewing room. 

Thanks

You can make a top to go over your old ironing board.  There are photos here to give you ideas

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 680
Points 17,070
Brigit-Carol replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 5:11 AM | Locked

My ironing board hangs on the wall.  I've had it for about 25 years and whenever I move I take it with me.  It is similar to this one, but has a mirror on the front. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WALL-MOUNT-RECESSED-BUILT-IN-IRONING-BOARD-HIDE-AWAY-STOW-AWAY-/400322331613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d351203dd

Brigit-Carol

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 680
Points 17,070
Brigit-Carol replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 5:13 AM | Locked

OK, this is my last purse, at least until the weekend when I will join in a virtual quilting retreat on the quilting board where we are making a large tote complete with zippered inside pocket and feet.  This is my favourite so far.

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 5:29 AM | Locked

Bridget, very pretty

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 7:36 AM | Locked

Zoe, I got an extra wide board at Walmart that is wonderful. So sturdy and will handle a wide bit of fabric for ironing. It is 18x55. Had a hard time finding a replacement cover but finally found them at Target. I love my board.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,446
Points 176,318
Marie replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 9:23 AM | Locked

zoetc49:
but there is one dent in it so it has a bump on it

Zoe, I thought my board was unique but I guess not.  I've had my board for 55 years now and it also has that "hump" right in the middle of it but it's so sturdy I hesitate to replace it.  I've bought several and returned them because of the unsteadiness of them.  I checked the website to make a bigger board but I think eventually the heat will make it warp in the same manner.  What to do, what to do?

Nancy, and all who have handymen for husbands, would you ask them what to do with this problem?  And no smart --- answers please!  :  )  We'd like to keep our sturdy boards but would like a simple fix.  FYI the "hump" goes across the narrow side.

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 678
Points 12,920
Michelle replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 9:56 AM | Locked

What type of feet are on it? Are they on the bottem to protect the bottems? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,212
Points 24,500
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 10:01 AM | Locked

Brigit-Carol:
the weekend when I will join in a virtual quilting retreat on the quilting board

Bridgit, this is so pretty.  I love to make totes, could you share the virtual quilting retreat???  I would love to join if possible

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,446
Points 176,318
Marie replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 10:08 AM | Locked

Brigit, I love this color combo as well.  You've made quite a few of these bags, are you gifting or selling, curious minds want to know?  :  )

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 238
Points 4,295
Christine replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 10:09 AM | Locked

I should point out... when you use plywood to make a larger ironing surface, place a layer of  the insulated fabric you can buy to make potholders over the board, then batting, and lastly the fabric cover you intend to iron on.  

My ironing board is 30 years old and I used this makeover method and love it!  I used duck cloth to make the cover.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 629
Points 9,365
MaggieNae replied on Wed, Apr 17 2013 10:30 AM | Locked

I have a piece of plywood a bit bigger than my large cutting mat.  I've covered it in two layers of regular batting and a piece of felt just stapled to the back.  I use it for cutting, pressing and as a small design wall.  Just make sure the plywood is thicker than the heavy duty staples you're using.  I have this on top of the high bed in my spare room.  I can use the ironing board at the foot of the bed to support it giving me a pretty good platform for my sewing machine.  Can you tell there's limited work space?

Page 79 of 114 (1700 items) « First ... < Previous 77 78 79 80 81 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use