Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #7

Page 67 of 114 (1700 items) « First ... < Previous 65 66 67 68 69 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,699 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 331
Points 5,845
Jenia replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 11:43 AM | Locked

What a great idea, and a thoughtful one too, Max!  It's so nice of you to think about how this lady will use her quilt and how she will feel it.

Perhaps you should see what colors are prominent in her house to chose the border? Personally I think either one solid color; but if you want perhaps use 2 colors of varying shades like the purples you have here on opposite sides of the main panel.  Left and right dark purple; top and bottom light lilac?  This is assuming she is a fan of purple.  Maybe ask her what's her favorite color and go with that?

There are so many possibilities.  When I look at your photo my eye is drawn to the dark side, which suggests to me that I would like a darker border on it.  Or course it will be lovely even with 4 different colors as you have chosen exactly as is is pretty enough!

I really like your idea and hope to see it completed.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 643
Points 12,580
Carol from Pittsburgh replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 2:46 PM | Locked

I like the bright green for the border since the quilt center is bright colors.  Very pretty quilt and such a good idea using textures!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 2:54 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
What I need your help with is the borders.   I want to add a border that will be 5 to 7 inches wide. And I do NOT want to use white.    My question to you is:  Should I make them four different colors (like in the picture)?   Should I make them all one color?  If I make them all the same color...what color do you suggest, other than white? ( I  am not limited to the four colors shown.) 

Max, I like what you've done with these textured blocks. I think I might do a skinny border first, in a light color like the background of the pinwheel block. Then a dark one, the burgundy one shown or something else very dark. The light inner border will help give lots of contrast and I think the border will be more "visible" for someone so visually impaired. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 265
Points 4,945
Lesley replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 3:35 PM | Locked

Hi Max,

agree with Jacy use a pink skinny border then the burgundy for the wider one. Love the textured blocks what a great idea. Xx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 5:38 PM | Locked

max, love your quilt.   i agree, skinny pink border, but then use that lime green or med dark blue, or orange, the burgundy would be fine, too.   :  ) 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,337
Points 414,644
gini replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 5:40 PM | Locked

i've cleaned my sewing rooms, sorta.  the big stuff is out of the way.    i keep waiting for those scrap fairies, who by the way volunteered to go through my scrap bag,  to show up and make some more room in my room.

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,015
Points 15,510
weezee56 replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 6:28 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
I want to add a border that will be 5 to 7 inches wide. And I do NOT want to use white.  
Max I think any pastel color, that you used in the quilt would look great to go for a border, or a pale yellow would look good too. I'm sure anything you chose will be nice.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:07 PM | Locked

Hi Max,  I agree with Jacey...my first vote would be for a skinny pale pink with a wider burgundy border(s).  If she doesn't like burgundy (or purples), how about the pale green in a skinny border, with the darker green (from the center block, left column) for the wider border.

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 27,940
Marsha-SM replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:26 PM | Locked

Carol from Pittsburgh:
Happiness is putting on that last side of binding! 

Finally got on here to see your quilt.  I LOVE IT.  I am partial to butterflies and purple and like how you quilted the butterflies in the squares.  Someday I will attempt some FMQ like that, if ever I find the time.  I agree with that last side of binding!  Now I need to get back to seeing what I missed when I couldn't get on here! 

Marsha - Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:45 PM | Locked

Kris I love your pillow. What a great idea to use up some scraps.  

Angèle  from NWO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,324
Points 27,940
Marsha-SM replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:46 PM | Locked

Kris:

Now that it's done, I've decided to keep it for myself (sorry kitties) it's on my sewing chair. Aren't you proud of me Nana? 

Perfect pillow for YOU.  I am sure the cats will use it when you aren't!   I need to get making some pillow covers for the growing pile of bags of mini-scraps, batting, clippings, and threads.  I put them in old plastic grocery bags and tie the handles and throw them in the closet.  Pretty soon, these bags will be taking over the house unless I use them.  My daughter works with rescue dogs, so I will make them big enough for some of the arthritic dogs.  Since she lives in Texas, they don't need warm beds for most of the dogs, so I am going to make 30 x 36 inch quilts to soften the cement floors for the healthy ones.  I have bags of heavier fabrics stored in an upstairs closet that need to be used up. 

Marsha - Western New York

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:51 PM | Locked

Karla, I love your diamond quilt.  My nephew and wife to be want a purple and yellow quilt for their baby girl. It was hard to find things as I had some images in my head but I couldn't find any fabric to match it.  

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:57 PM | Locked

Elizabeth this is a beautiful color for your quilt. I just can't wait to see it done!

Angèle  from NWO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,186
Points 15,875
Susan replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 7:59 PM | Locked

MaxNTopeka:
What I need your help with is the borders.
                                             Max, I agree with Gini, lime green for big border and pink for skinny one. I think the burgandy  is to dark for this colorful quilt.  I Like what you have done with color and texture for this lady with limited sight. Great idea!   Susan

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 8:03 PM | Locked

Max this log cabin is looking great front and back. The Alzheimer's society  is very fortunate to have people like you to make such beautiful quilts.

Angèle  from NWO

Page 67 of 114 (1700 items) « First ... < Previous 65 66 67 68 69 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use