Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #7

Page 31 of 114 (1700 items) « First ... < Previous 29 30 31 32 33 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,699 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 2:30 PM | Locked

Yes Patti, she is selling the pattern now.  It is on craftsy.  I had looked at the pattern on her blog when she first mentioned it.  Thought I had copied it then, but guess I didn't cause I cant find it here, She mentiones in her blog that she now has decided to sell her pattern, so it is the same one that Brigit Carol mentioned was on Craftsy.    Ginny 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,831
Points 39,980
ls2116 replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 8:05 PM | Locked

I didn't exactly work on quilt but while taking nap I must have been subconciousely thinking about one because I woke up thinking about this braid block in my head.  Eventually I'm going to have to cut some paper strips and play with them.  I guess its my latest obsession. If I can figure out pattern for just one block It will expand through quilt.  I can picture it in my head just can't draw it out.  Maybe i should get strips of fabric like if you ever seen a woven vest with strips you can poke you finger through.  maybe i should look at celtic quilting to help me with this style I know somewhere there must be a pattern. I think there may be a border stencil with braid affect.  Anybody have any suggestions?

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:27 PM | Locked

Kris:

Christine:

Be very careful with websites like this. While there is truth there, it is very easy to misconstrue the info on this site. The site's creator is not a lawyer and is not qualified to give legal advice on these matters. Her information is based on her own personal experiences with licensed fabrics.  Make sure you understand the ramifications before you proceed and do not put blind trust in this site. If you are unsure it is better to contact a copyright lawyer or a government website such as http://www.copyright.gov/laws/

Better to err on the side of caution.

Well... actually I disagree with you.  I'm unsure what you mean when you say it's easy to misconstrue... are you saying the person reading it might not be bright enough to understand what she's reading?  That's the only way to misconstrue facts and laws, the person reading it misconstrues what she's reading.  That's certainly what some pattern designers do... they misconstrue what is legal and what isn't.

The information on the tabberone site is simple, strait-forward and is backed up with facts.  The massive amount of information on the tabberone site is not placed there out of her own personal experience.  I think you're oversimplifying (I.e.: misconstruing) this in an effort to discredit the author of the site.  I hope you don't me pointing this out?  It's done with love and hugs though.   You did point out something interesting.  Pattern designers, etc. aren't lawyers either.  So they aren't qualified to tell what copyright controls they have or don't have.  

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:41 PM | Locked

Christine, I find your article and references very informative.  But breaking laws and avoiding lawsuits can be two different things.  Part of the reason I carry malpractice insurance it to have legal representation and to be able afford defending myself when wrongfully accused of doing something. 

Looking at hat patterns, it is hard to find anything truly original.   But in the process, I have learned to develop my own, or should I say my own variation?

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Fri, Mar 8 2013 10:59 PM | Locked

That's an excellent business decision!  In our culture, you can file a lawsuit for just about anything.  My next door neighbor sued me last year.  

I got him fired off of our HOA board of directors. He was the Vice president of the board, someone who made decisions to foreclose on fellow homeowners who violate the covenant... and he chose to blatantly violate the covenant because he thought he could get away with it.  Then he lied to the board about what he did!  What he didn't know was I had videotaped the whole thing.

I uploaded the video on youtube and then made sure 1,200 homeowners in our subdivision saw it.  He was fired a month later.

6 months after that, he filed a lawsuit against me because I cut down some bushes on MY property.   The judge threw it out of court after I showed him the videotape.  Then he pressed charges against me in criminal court.  When it reaches the criminal court I'll play my videotape and I'm sure he'll find something else to file a lawsuit against me...   You're wise to have malpractice insurance.  It can give a peace of mind.   In my case, my lawyer fees are free... my neighbor just doesn't know it.  LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 4:36 PM | Locked

~previous message deleted

~not liking the tone this conversation is taking

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 4:40 PM | Locked

Patti:

Here is my sun hat, my own design and it's reversible. 

Great hat, Patti!  Will you sell only premade hats or would you consider selling the pattern, too?  Love your new avatar!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,245
Points 25,210
Elizabeth replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 4:54 PM | Locked

Patti, your hats are fantastic.  Great idea about selling the pattern

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,449
Points 47,720
Angele replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 6:47 PM | Locked

Patti I really like your hat.  It's very cute!

Angèle  from NWO

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 7:22 PM | Locked

Working on "Sarah's Wedding Quilt" today.  As shown below, and poster before I believe, I have the center star done, but the border is a braided border that has about 820 pieces  that is what I have been working on.  I have about 136 more 3 piece squares to iron, then I will be ready to start to assemble it.  I do need a  little help.  The border has 4 squares that are "anchored" on each corner,  I am worried about the placement and how to get it just right.  Anyone have a tutorial they can suggest???? 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,951
Points 368,307
Kris replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 8:08 PM | Locked

Christine:
Well... actually I disagree with you.  I'm unsure what you mean when you say it's easy to misconstrue... are you saying the person reading it might not be bright enough to understand what she's reading?  That's the only way to misconstrue facts and laws, the person reading it misconstrues what she's reading.

Miscontrue means to interpret wrongly. Anyone can interpret wrongly if not given all the facts. Don't put words in my mouth.

Christine:
The information on the tabberone site is simple, strait-forward and is backed up with facts.  The massive amount of information on the tabberone site is not placed there out of her own personal experience.  I think you're oversimplifying (I.e.: misconstruing) this in an effort to discredit the author of the site.  I hope you don't me pointing this out?  It's done with love and hugs though.   You did point out something interesting.  Pattern designers, etc. aren't lawyers either.  So they aren't qualified to tell what copyright controls they have or don't have.  

I am not trying to discredit the site. If you feel offended that's on you. Pattern designers aren't lawyers but I'm sure many of them consult with lawyers when they need to.

The site's creator posted the following disclaimer herself:

"We are not lawyers. Our legal experience in these matters is based upon our experiences in Federal Court and research. We do not offer you legal advice nor do we solicit or accept any form of compensation for the information on this web site. We are basing our opinions on our experiences and research. Before contemplating any legal action, you should always consult an attorney.

While www.Tabberone.com believes the information and advice and articles of industry professionals to be reliable, we make no claims or representations about the accuracy, reliability, timeliness, usefulness or completeness of such information or advice from these industry professionals. However, by nature such information from industry professionals is broad in scope. Your situation is unique and our information and advice may not be appropriate for your situation. You should not rely on any information or advice from industry professionals you obtain on this web site. In our defense, we have not had any attorneys contact us to point out any specific errors."

Sounds like she's saying the same thing I did.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 11,285
Donna replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 9:16 PM | Locked

And here are 3 completed blocks to be used for the border....

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,951
Points 368,307
Kris replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 9:29 PM | Locked

Nice work Donna.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 240
Points 4,335
Christine replied on Sat, Mar 9 2013 10:29 PM | Locked

Kris, your knickers are in a wad because the truth is being revealed on the tabberone site.  Put your big girl panties on and face it, you were wrong and so were a whole lot of other stuffed-shirts. 

Kris:
Sounds like she's saying the same thing I did.

In your mind I'm sure you think it's the same.   The bottom line is, the vast majority of designers don't have the desire to inflate their copyright statements beyond what's legal.  I've met plenty of wonderful designers over the years.  They just want to make a fair living by treating people the way they would like to be treated.  As time went by, the ego of a few designers led them to start listening to their own authority on the subject, which was themselves.  And we all know what happens when you talk to yourself, right?  As these few designers wrote their own copyright falsehoods/statements, other designers picked up the snowball and it got bigger and bigger... until you see the mess they created for everybody.  The fair and decent designers get lumped in with the few that are nazi-esqe about it and it ruins business for all of them.

Can we move on from this conversation now?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,831
Points 39,980
ls2116 replied on Sun, Mar 10 2013 9:54 AM | Locked

On that miscontrue word don't you think it can be taken out context by not actually the persons emotion etc. and i tell people all the time to run errands they must have selective hearing.  So i think that applies to miscontrue  ... misunderstanding.  Maybe your talking about something thats over my head though.  I just like to quilt  if your giving credit to pattern designer and you've used different fabric making it yours does that apply to miscontrue.  

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 31 of 114 (1700 items) « First ... < Previous 29 30 31 32 33 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use