Top 10 Posters

Did You Work on a Quilt Today? #7

Page 16 of 114 (1700 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,699 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,227
Points 24,865
Elizabeth replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 10:30 AM | Locked

I have four sisters and Twister was our favorite game.  Good excuse for a free for all!!!!

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 10:37 AM | Locked

Donna's looks orange an pink, but the orange is actually olive green, it will turn green.  Mine is the blue, green and orange.  Marge's is pink and purple and ?. 

dye was mixed in this jar, then, not to waste simply turned upside down on some fabric to make a sort of round sun design with the color radiating outward.

Here are the pics from yesterday, I know I am  not going to get the pics in the right order, so I'll write about them now.  Marge P is in the red shirt, Donna has white hair, short dark hair is a friend Dina, who is not part of QCA, the long dark haired younger woman is Heather the store owner who is teaching us. 

This is snow dyeing, which is featured in Quiltmaker's Newsletter mag for Dec/Jan.  The wet fabric is scrunched up on something with holes for the snow to drip through as it melts, and sitting in a tray to catch the melted snow.   Snow is packed on top of the fabric, covering it about 4-7 inches.  Dye, that has been mixed is applied to the snow, spooning or pouring it on.  As the snow melts, it dilutes the dye, in a nice blotchy pattern on the fabric.  In about 3 days, we go back to pick up our fabrics. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 10:57 AM | Locked

Good Morning all!  Thanks Patti for posting the pictures!  My dye colors were olive green (only green she had) and purple)...but the mixed olive green looked a rusty orange color which was rather concerning and the purple was rather pinkish in the snow.  But, before we left, as the dye was soaking into the snow the rust was turning to a darker green color - so I am hopefully it will turn out something close to what I was looking for.  (I wanted deep, intense colors.)

Also I want to add that we were instructed to wear old clothes in case we got dye on them...so we were dressed in our "grubbies"!!!  

Now we all have to wait to see what our fabrics look like (and we each will post a picture of our own).  The anticipation is on!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,880
Points 366,982
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 1:15 PM | Locked

Thanks for the photos Patti. Looks you all had a good time. I look forward to seeing your pieces.

I read about this technique on someone's blog a while ago and was intrigued. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,880
Points 366,982
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 1:17 PM | Locked

I'm working on quilting my UFO for February. I'm running out of the thread I chose. I think I'm near the end. Hope it makes it.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,350
Points 28,505
Marsha-SM replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 2:39 PM | Locked

My marathon quilting sessions didn't work out as planned.  I finished MQ 5 to donate to benefit for niece,  Here are pictures of quilt just out of dryer and closeup.  The FMQ vines don't show up well on the border.  The rest was done Stitch in Ditch and gridwork for the blocks.  Our nephew (not the same one with the wife who has cancer) had his dairy cattle auction Friday and somehow we got the job to move 7 loads of cattle Friday night and Saturday along with another load of cattle to take to another dairy cattle sale.  WE had one job spoken for earlier in the day, but when we got to the barn, our neighboring farmers, who bought the majority of the cattle, flocked to the truck - thus the 7 loads instead of one (which had by then grown to 2)  That cut into my quilting time so I was only able to finish one quilt for the benefit.  Brother-in-law picked it up minutes after I took the picture.  At least I DID get a picture.  I forgot to take one of the other MQ 5 that I donated to grandson's senior class.

I have several similar-sized quilt tops finished and plan to quilt them soon so I have some on hand for future senior class donations, etc..  I was exhausted after my therapy Friday AM, but didn't get a chance to rest like I should when I got home.  NOw I feel like I have been run over by a truck.  Tomorrow we will be on the road all day - two farmers who bought at the auction are now culling out some cows to make room for these, so we will be quilte busy - probably 3 loads.  Hopefully we will have enough time to move them before the sale is over for the day.  As they say, "no rest for the wicked!", so that must be me.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 110
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,859
Points 32,260
Roxana replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 2:50 PM | Locked

The quilt is beautiful!

Roxana

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,556
Points 51,395
Ginny replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 3:06 PM | Locked

Marsha, the quilt is beautiful.  The combinations of colors and prints is so differnt looking from what you normally see.  I like it.    Ginny

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 936
Points 15,850
Marge P replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 3:07 PM | Locked

Hi all -

Thanks, Patti,  for posting the pictures of our snow dyeing adventure.  The third color in my mix was a Sunflower Gold - so it will be interesting to see what the fabric ends up looking like.  I was amazed when I rinsed out my pint jars this morning that I had mixed my dyes in.  There could not have been more than a 1/8th of a teaspoon of dye in any of the jars and it took a long time for the soapy water to run clear.  It must be pretty potent stuff

I still have plenty of snow in the yard and did buy a yard of the PFD fabric from Heather so hopefully will to do another piece.  Patti said that JoAnn's has the dye and we will be in Wenatchee this week so will check out some more colors. 

Yes, I will be working on a quilt today - starting the challenging task of putting borders on the Easy Street quilt.  it is a square quilt and I want it oblong so it will fit a queen bed - have it drawn out and I know I will be very sick of borders when I get done with it.  I may be able to combine a couple of the top and bottom borders and sew them on at the same time.  Mostly it is going to be sewing seperate narrow borders one by one.  Yuck!  I will be soooooo glad when this is done.

Have a great day everyone!

MargeP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,880
Points 366,982
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 3:32 PM | Locked

Marsha-SM:
I finished MQ 5 to donate to benefit for niece, 

WTG Marsha. It looks great.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,430
Points 47,505
Angele replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 4:10 PM | Locked

Kris:

Angele:

Kelley, I also recently bought polka dots and was wondering what to. Do with them... I will check out what ideas you get and maybe "borrow" one or two...lol

Here's a pattern called "Ladybug in Polka Dotville". You don't have to do the ladybug appliqué if it doesn't tickle your fancy.

Kris thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for! It is now bookmarked and will be printed soon.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,781
Points 67,290
Bonita replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 4:19 PM | Locked

Very pretty Marsha.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,430
Points 47,505
Angele replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 4:31 PM | Locked

Yes I did quilt today.  Will post soon.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,430
Points 47,505
Angele replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 4:32 PM | Locked

Patti thanks for sharing.  This looks as so much fun!

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,430
Points 47,505
Angele replied on Sun, Feb 24 2013 4:33 PM | Locked

Marsha your quilt turned out great.  Love the colors and the quilting.

Angèle  from NWO

Page 16 of 114 (1700 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use