Page 3 of 114 (1700 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,699 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 3:46 PM | Locked

I signally stopped coughing long enough to do some quilting on a baby quilt. I am almost halfway.  Just needed to take a break. Hopefully I can finish it tonight. Now I will try to walk some and see if I can make it without getting too winded.  This week I'm hoping to finish quilting two baby quilts.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965
Marsha-SM replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 4:28 PM | Locked

Brigit-Carol:
Marsha - We all have days when it seems the best idea is to throw the sewing machine in the pond.  You are to be admired for keeping with it on such a trying day.  Here's praying and hoping Rich will recover quickly from the surgery.

I wasn't quite to that point, after all it was my foggy BRAIN that was at fault.  (and the ponds are uphill from here - the creek is downhill, though and has a few deep holes!)  At least frogging for me is something I can do with my aching feet up and is almost as relaxing for me as hand sewing - as long as my mind is in the right place (it wasn't the machine's fault that it was threaded with the wrong bobbin)!  I had finished the one with the dark green flannel last week and had started this one.  When I tried to finish it yesterday, I remembered the dark green but forgot to check the back first before rewinding the bobbin.  I will check next time before jumping to conclusions!  The quilt is now finished properly.  Will take pictures soon.  I had done the alternate blocks and outside of the floral blocks with stitch-in-the-ditch and the light green bobbin and started the floral blocks until the bobbin ran out.  If I had just STARTED the floral blocks with the dark green, it would have been OK and maybe more interesting because the flower outlines would stand out on the back.

Rich, the lucky man, is already off all pain meds.  He doesn't even take Tylenol.  How lucky can one man be?  His physical therapist said today that he was walking almost normally now and without a cane.  She is only coming back one more day.  He is planning to drive the truck (without the trailer) for the first time Friday as we both have to go in different directions.  I usually drive him, but I have a new type of Fibromyalgia therapy at the same time he has an appointment in the other direction.  I will not give up my therapy - after 2 sessions I am finally getting some relief from the tight, knotted muscles that torment me.  I finally got a decent nights sleep last night - only woke up twice instead of hourly. 

I like your stilletos.  They will be very handy and good gifts for your quilter friends.  I have loads of beads that our daughters and I used to make jewelery from many years ago.  I guess I had better make a few for myself - just need to get some turkey lacers.  I should have some around here, but it would be easier to get some new ones as the girls moved things around 3 years ago while I was in the hospital with my knee replacement.  I am sure it would take months for me to find them.  I think I know where the beads are.  I am slowly unearthing some things I have been needing even now.  Our middle daughter's favorite "hiding place" was in a small attic with pull-down stairs which I rarely ever enter.  Maybe some things are up there - who knows?  Someday I will investigate and get surprised with what I find - maybe even some more fabric!!!  I know there are some old dresses I had made for the girls when they were in school decades ago.  They are now 49, 50, and 51, so all the dresses would be mostly cotton and some (ugh) double knit polyester.

Marsha - Western New York

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,394
Points 27,280
Ms MoomMist replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 8:52 PM | Locked

Joyce:

Moonmist I like your quit top you are working on and also the cute new blocks.  You sound like me I think I have about 10 quilt tops that need layering and quilting. I told my kids when I'm gone they can pay someone to quilt them. ha 

Joyce

Yup, I'm with you. I have 2  sons and dil who are not domestic at all... maybe my step-son will want to finish them, he shows more interest that my sons. Miss my granddaughter every time I think about all the things that need finishing.

xoxoxo,

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,445
Points 24,075
Debbie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 9:43 PM | Locked

I made some fun items yesterday afternoon -- quilter's stilettos using turkey lacers. I was quite pleased with the way they came out. Although I've about decided the only purpose of super glue is to glue fingers together -- I did it twice. Ouch! Of course, I've never used a stiletto, so will have to practice to see if I like them. Hmm. Wonder how many times I'll stick myself whilst learning?

Ok, what's the purpose of stillettos?  Had to go back and find the picture, thought I would see some shoes or long nails, wasn't sure what they were. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 11:18 PM | Locked

Debbie

I use my stilettos to help feed fabric under the pressure foot.  Especially if I have a place that is difficult to hold everything in line with my finger.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,515
ls2116 replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 11:38 PM | Locked

With the main locks on point I"m seeing each time i sew the first seam I have to rip it out because I'm forgetting wher I'm supose to start and stop the seam then after ripping out I'm usually ok for the rest its getting that it happens all the time so alignment is really key to precision on these blocks.  Maybe some one can verify this on point block then attaching triangle pieces to that block you have to start and end the seams 1/4 inch before ends of the triangles ?  Does that sound right to you?

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 1:02 AM | Locked

Is, i'm not sure what you're asking, but you shouldn't need to stop 1/4 inch short. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,342
Points 46,405
Angele replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 7:04 AM | Locked

IS I don't understand your question.  I agree with Gini, you shouldn't have to stop 1/4inch before the end.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 7:40 AM | Locked

Brigit-Carol

Love your stilletos!  I'd be lost without my "purple thang"  I need to chain it to my machine...oops can't do that, I need 4 of them, one for each machine.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,515
ls2116 replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 8:42 AM | Locked

Just thought i'd put up some pics and maybe you can identify why i'm having problems I don't know if it was initial cuttting  or what

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,515
ls2116 replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 8:44 AM | Locked

hereis another view

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,515
ls2116 replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 8:46 AM | Locked

Here another view.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 624
Points 9,310
MaggieNae replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 9:04 AM | Locked

IS, I'm not sure either, but it looks like you're not lining up along the edge.  In your first photo, I don't think you should have the solid orange fabric showing on the outisde of your seems.  It should be hiden under them.  These should be sewn in diagonal rows.  1/2 square to square to 1/2 square, then the rows sewn together working your way up a column, right?  If you're having issues at the end of the colum, remember to sew one 1/2 square, then press.  Then sew the other 1/2 square (triangle) on the other side.  Hope this helps.  Let us know if you're still having trouble.  And take some photos from a little further away so we can see what part of the quilt you're working on.

Margaret

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,515
ls2116 replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 9:16 AM | Locked

Maybe thats it I've been sewing vertical rows.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 655
Points 16,585
Brigit-Carol replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 10:06 AM | Locked

If you are insetting the triangles with a "Y" seam, then yes, you stop 1/4" before the point.  Here is a good tute with pics:  http://www.how-to-quilt.com/articles/2204-sewing-set-in-seams.php  I'm sure there are videos out there as well, but I don't know how to imbed one. 

But I think if you will sew the end triangles onto the squares on the diagonal, it will be easier.  I've only done one on-point and the rows were wider than yours so it was easier to figure out. 

Brigit-Carol

• | Post Points: 35
Page 3 of 114 (1700 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use