Top 10 Posters

Singer Quantum Stylist 9960

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,405
Sara posted on Sun, Feb 10 2013 10:40 PM

Do any of you use the Singer Quantum Stylist sewing machine? I am thinking about upgrading to it. It looks like a great machine and has all the major features I am looking for at this point...plus more. Just wondering if anybody here uses it for their quilting?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,085
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 10:44 PM

Sara

I don't know much about this model of Singer.  The last newer model Singer I bought was the Futura when it first came out.   I wasn't impressed and soon replaced it.  I haven't had a new Singer since.  I do collect the vintage Singers but I don't like the newer models.  I haven't had much luck with them.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
2,841 Posts
Points 40,180
ls2116 replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 11:49 PM

I got the singer anniversary edition and it remains in box I shoul've returned it not happy with plastic construction .  All I can say is shop around and also try before you buy gee I wish I woul've taken the advice I'm telling you.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
764 Posts
Points 9,979
Rhonnie replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 12:00 AM

I have the old singers and they still run like a champ. Years ago I bought an updated one and had it a whole week trying to like it but couldn't. I just got a Husqvara Sapphire...I like it alot but stiill learning. It was a gift and I'm thankful for the thought and time DH put into findingrying  it for me. I would suggest looking around and them out. The poor lady DH dealt with said he told them how much he might go and spent time on each one that was within reason to see how they worked and even looked at manuals. Some manuals are not user friendly.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,405
Sara replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 1:04 PM

I get the feeling that the new singer machines aren't really all that great. I actually have a Singer Tradition machine that I bought last January that I taught myself to sew on. I recently got a White Jeans Machine from my SIL and I am using it now as my primary machine. I did some sewing on my Singer the other day and really didn't like it anywhere near as much as the White. The White is much quieter and doesn't bounce like my Singer. I also can control the speed better with the foot pedal on the White even though it doesn't have the speed control option to set a certain speed. I looked at machines online and now I am considering a Janome DC1050. I don't have a big budget and this has the features I want like needle up/down, speed control, a good variety of stitches, top loading bobbin and automatic needle threader. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,729 Posts
Points 437,085
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 1:06 PM

Sara

I haven't had any experience with that particular Janome but I have nothing bad to say about the brand.   I love my Janome and don't think you can go wrong with their machines.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,405
Sara replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 1:09 PM

Thanks Nana! We have one sewing machine dealer in town. I might see if they have that model. If not then maybe I can at least test out one of the Janome's they have on display. 

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 35
Answered (Not Verified) rickid replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 1:57 PM
Suggested by rickid

i bought both the 9960 and this year, the futura 400. i Love the9960. just got around to setting the 400 up, havent used it yrt.  If you buy the 9960, be sure to get thr one with the blue design on the front. it is the up to date model. a lot of dealers seem to think it doesnt matter, or will tell you its not, but it is. i have been sewing on singers for 60 years. i have gotten other machines but went back to singer. oh, before i forget, the bouncing problem is usually caused by the table you are using, rarely the machine. i buy those mats that you put in cabinets the ones that have all the holes. it also will help with some noise issues. if it cintinues, try slowing down some.

i always wanted a bernina because it seems to be the choice of everyone on t.v. But who wants to spend that much money when you CAN get a machine that does what you want nicely?

but do try them all out.it is the best way. a lot of complaints i hear stem from buyers not reading or understanding what they do. the 9960 was supposed to have birdnesting issues. come to find out, it was the use of the wrong bobbin. they ONLY use the 15J. Not the 15.

the janomes are a good machine, but they are set in their ways and can be quirky. you just need to use specific accesories. i stick with the ones recommended by the manufacturer. saves a lot of time and effort.

well, i didnt tell you much of anything, but i enjoyed sharing. good luck with your choice. i would like to know what and why youchoose one. 

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,316 Posts
Points 18,480

Piece, Love, Quilt

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,405
Sara replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 3:08 PM

rickid:

i bought both the 9960 and this year, the futura 400. i Love the9960. just got around to setting the 400 up, havent used it yrt.  If you buy the 9960, be sure to get thr one with the blue design on the front. it is the up to date model. a lot of dealers seem to think it doesnt matter, or will tell you its not, but it is. i have been sewing on singers for 60 years. i have gotten other machines but went back to singer. oh, before i forget, the bouncing problem is usually caused by the table you are using, rarely the machine. i buy those mats that you put in cabinets the ones that have all the holes. it also will help with some noise issues. if it cintinues, try slowing down some.

well, i didnt tell you much of anything, but i enjoyed sharing. good luck with your choice. i would like to know what and why youchoose one. 

Thank you rickid for your response. It is very helpful to hear from someone who has used the Singer 9960. As for the bouncing problem it probably is my table but it does seem more noticeable with my Singer compared to the White machine. There is only one sewing machine dealer in my area so I am a little limited as to what I can try. I may give them a call and see if the have the Singer 9960 in the store to test drive. :) 

I will be sure to post which I end up with whenever I do purchase a new machine. It may be a couple months before I can make my purchase so I certainly have time to scope out the options and do research. 

By the way welcome to the group! I noticed that you only have one post so far. 

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,405
Sara replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 3:13 PM

Erin:

I have the 9960 and I really like it. I am new to sewing and quilting (less than a year) and have not tried any other machines.  I thought for $320 I could see if I was going to stick with it.

Good luck finding a machine and have fun with it once you do! :D

Erin thank you for your response. I too am new to quilting. Actually I am in the process of finishing up my first quilt. There is a pic of it in my gallery. I guess the thing that is a big plus in my mind in favor of the 9960 is all the options that come with it! It is packed full of different feet and the extension table and the automatic thread cutter are rather enticing as well. I guess I just want to be really sure of what ever I buy and that it is going meet my needs for a long time. I really feel like I have already outgrown my Singer Tradition that I purchased in Jan 2012. I want this to be a machine that lasts me for a LONG time to come. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 10:45 PM

Sara:
I looked at machines online and now I am considering a Janome DC1050.

Here are some reviews of the Janome DC1050.

Reviews

Amazon sells Janome, too, and they also include customer reviews.  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,479 Posts
Points 417,064
gini replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 11:36 PM

hi rickid, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
57 Posts
Points 1,405
Sara replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:08 PM

So I went into my local sewing center and looked at the Janome Magnolia 7330. I sewed a little bit with it and it is very nice and quiet. I told the guy I was considering either a Singer or a Janome. He had NOTHING nice to say about Singer and called them a piece of junk! He said he sells them only to get people in the door and then tries to sell them something else instead. I really kind of felt like I was dealing with a high pressure used car salesman. Not sure I will purchase a machine through them. The Janome Magnolia 7330 was on I had looked at online and was considering as a possibility. Ugh!! Decisions, decisions!! Nancy I had looked at the Janome on Amazon. What do you all think?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I really like the Janome Magnolia 7330.  When DH suggested I should purchase a traveling sewing machine as a Christmas present, I was all set to order that very machine from Amazon.  DH, however, thought he was going to get off more cheaply than that, so I purchased a Singer Featherweight on eBay instead.

Everyone I know who owns Janome's loves them!  Most of the serious quilters have the Memory Craft 6600's or 7700's, but I have seen the Magnolia 7330 being used at quilt retreats.  My bet is that you would be quite happy with that machine.

PS - if your local dealer offers that model at a similar price to online, I would definitely get it locally so that you have a good relationship with the place that will service it.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use