Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,479
Points 417,064
gini Posted: Sun, Feb 10 2013 4:43 PM

we are discussing which patterns we will be using for our next group project.  there has been some discussion on having two groups going simultaneously, one for beginners and one a little harder.   

i have posted the quilts that have been mentioned.   these are not cast in concrete yet, we're merely deciding what we are going to be working on.   

if anyone has been thinking about doing some applique, you might want to come on over and see what we're up to.  

if anyone has a pattern or set of patterns that they are interested in, we would love to hear about them, we're at the idea stage right now, but we will be selecting a pattern(s) within the next month.   

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,729
Points 437,100
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 7:22 PM

Gini

I still have at least 2 uncompleted applique projects....LOL>   They will get pulled out again soon maybe.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,508
Points 48,175
Frances replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 1:51 PM

For anyone who was thinking about learning Applique, join the group Gini is an inspiring teacher, i never thought i would get to grips with this but everyone in this group helps everyone else and its lots of fun however please be warned this is very addictive.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 2:41 PM

Never could do needle turn applique and haven't even tried machine applique.

Giess I will pass on this.

Sukochi

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 940

Gini, how do I find your posts on the applique patterns you're considering?  I'm not very good at navigating this site.  Applique is my first love in quilting, and I would be interested in joining your group.  Have you considered any of the patterns in Michelle Hills' William Morris book? 

Jane

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,479
Points 417,064
gini replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:18 PM

hi jane, we are considering all patterns.   do you have one in particular you are interested in?  i can add it to the list.   

i'll go find the shabby fabric site with the patterns  for you

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,479
Points 417,064
gini replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:21 PM

hi jane,  copy and paste this link to get the patterns.  scroll down to hte bottom of the page.

we are considering all patterns right now,   if there is a particular pattern you would like let me know and i will add it to the list. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,479
Points 417,064
gini replied on Tue, Feb 12 2013 3:23 PM

i forgot to add the address

http://www.shabbyfabrics.com/Free-Patterns-W4.aspx

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 53
Points 940

Thanks Gini.  Those are cute patterns.  I really don't have any particular pattern in mind in the William Morris books.  I love them all.  They are more involved than the ones on this website.  I have a Mountain Mist pattern, "Hollyhocks," and a Baltimore Album that I have started -- just a couple of the many UFOs I have.  Anyway, keep me posted.  What's wrong with starting another quilt?

Jane

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,479
Points 417,064
gini replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 6:25 PM

Jane Seybold:
  What's wrong with starting another quilt?

absolutely nothing.  it keeps me from getting bored

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 7:25 PM

OK, so I am in. I don't really know if I can do needle turn, so could I just do raw edge applique?  Does all the backgroud fabric need to be  like a beige or cream, etc? I have tons of scraps to draw from and I have lots of  bieges and a cream or two, that I could use for the backing. Does every block need the exact same color background fabric? Am, I being annoying with my questions?

Got a quilt top pieced today, needs borders. I started a BOM, that someone donated to Quilted Hugs From Maddie. I am counting on having this quilt top finished in time to send it to Nan for FMQ. The donation will be on March 6th in Adairsville, GA.

But, as I normally sit and watch TV with Jim in the evenings, I can do this hand work while I watch TV. I will go ahead and get all the background fabric cut and the templates done for the first few months between now and March 1. then, I will be ready. As long as someone answers all my silly  (are they silly?) questions.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,963
Points 368,547
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 8:28 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
OK, so I am in. I don't really know if I can do needle turn, so could I just do raw edge applique?  Does all the backgroud fabric need to be  like a beige or cream, etc? I have tons of scraps to draw from and I have lots of  bieges and a cream or two, that I could use for the backing. Does every block need the exact same color background fabric? Am, I being annoying with my questions?

Do whatever you like. No hard and fast rules. Just have fun.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,479
Points 417,064
gini replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 12:46 AM

sukochi, there are no quilt police here, it's your quilt, you can do whatever you want.  one appliqued quilt i made was done on a brown and blue plaid.   you can hae whatever background you want, you can use as many different backgrounds as you wish,   raw edge applique may not work well with hand stitching unless you are doing a satin stitch, that's very time consuming by hand.    you can use wool for your appliques, then you only need to do a blanket stitch, which is very relaxing for me to do in the evening.   ask as many quesions as you want, there will be someone here to answer.  i'm not discussing whether they're silly or not,  i've heard you ask some whoppers, already.  :  )    you keep me in stitches with some of your comments

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 7:41 AM

Oh Gini,

This post just reminded me that I have completely neglected my Wildflowers applique blocks.  I only got 6 completed.  Next on my list to do during my week off this coming week.  

I was fortunate to see the Pearl's Wildflower quilt in person.  what a beauty.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 8:14 AM

Thanks, Gini. Now, I have to decide. Never through about wool. Hmmm....... I did an applique quilt one time, used fabric and did a blanket stitch. It worked out well. Used fray check around the edges and fusible web. That applique is still there and in great shape. Wool, huh? hmmmm.................

Sukochi

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use