Top 10 Posters

What is your favorite stitch and stitch length?

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 30 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie Posted: Sun, Feb 10 2013 2:29 AM

I was playing with my new machine tonight. It has a lot of neat stitches to use. I have used the basic stitches since I got my first machine back in 8th grade. This machine has a large selection compared to what I am use to using. I thought I would just ask what is your favorite stitch and stitch length? I look forward to hearing about them......

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,824
Points 352,517
Kris replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 7:49 AM

No favourite stitch here Rhonnie. I do use decorative stitches to sew bindings. I use the blanket stitch a lot.

For straight stitching I use my machine's default setting but will go smaller for paper piecing and larger when I have a lot of bulk.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 8:40 AM

I don't think i have a favorite, but i do make use of alot of my decorative stitches

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 8:43 AM

My favourite is one that doesnt need frogging. :-)

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,041
Points 169,863
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 9:01 AM

Frances:

My favourite is one that doesnt need frogging. :-)

lots of love

Francesxx

Too funny Frances.  How are you, we don't see you here often?  Have you finished your EPPing project yet?  Mine is on hold, haven't sewn them together.  I used to get a nudge from you occasionally, I miss that.  How's dad doing?

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,271
Patti replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 9:46 AM

I think whatever stitch I am using at the time is my favorite.  But besides the straight stitch, the one I use most is the blanket stitch.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,114
Points 410,999
gini replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 9:51 AM

i don't have  favorite, but i don't use the decorative stitches as much.

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 10:17 AM

I figured there would be a few favorites. OK how about this is there one deorative stitch that you find to be neater or just catches your eye more than another? I have been finding stitches I didn't know where possible LOL I have too many choices

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,041
Points 169,863
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 10:46 AM

Rhonnie, what you could do, if you have the time, is start a booklet of all your stitches on fabric, a page to a stitch, then you'll see what all your stitches look like and could choose a particular one for the project you are working on at the time.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 11:04 AM

Rhonnie,the best think to do is make yourself a stitching bible .I used all mystitiches my Janome has and stitiched them out on fabric at two differnt settings ,one default and one smaller just to see how they look ,It is wonderful to go back and use this for refrence Here are some pictures of mine ..You'll really love it ..and it so much nicer then just the patterns listed on your machine .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,220
Points 41,005
Donna B replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 11:09 AM

Marie:

Rhonnie, what you could do, if you have the time, is start a booklet of all your stitches on fabric, a page to a stitch, then you'll see what all your stitches look like and could choose a particular one for the project you are working on at the time.

This is called a "Stitch Bible" for your machine.  There is a class on Craftsy.com called "Stupendous Stitches" specifically designed to help you make a stitch bible for your machine and then make a project using the decorative stitches you have discovered.  If you haven't looked at it, you really should!  The classes and most of the teachers are great and once paid for, never expire...and they are available to you whenever you want to look back at them.

Personally, I use my straight stitch, and blanket stitch the most.  I also use a decorative stitch that is like a scallop fairly frequently.

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645

Marie:

Rhonnie, Marie has a very good idea. I made one when I first bought my Viking 3 years ago. I wrote the stitch number above each one. Some I did more than once in different lengths. The numbers need to be redone as they are wearing off. I don't often do decorative stitches, except for a blanket stitch on quilt bindings and applique, but when I do, this is very handy. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,645

Barbara:
Rhonnie,the best think to do is make yourself a stitching bible .

Barbara, I love your fancy stitching book. I may have to re-do the plain one page thingy I have. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 12:37 PM

Rhonnie, if you go over to the crazy quilters group, you'll see some gals having lots of fun with their fancy stitches!

Crazy Quilters Group

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,041
Points 169,863
Marie replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 1:44 PM

Barbara:
Rhonnie,the best think to do is make yourself a stitching bible

Barbara, that's what I must've been thinking about with my suggestion to Rhonnie.  Several stitches could be on a page like yours though.

I also like Judy's version, all on one page of black fabric with white thread or vice/verse.

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 3 (31 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use