Prewashing Fabrics for a crazy quilted purse

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 305
Amy posted on Sun, Feb 10 2013 12:01 AM

Ok, I am probably going to open a can of worms here...

I always have prewashed my fabrics for quilting. But my next project is going to be a crazy quilted purse. I am going to use satins, crushed velvets, and brocades. The colors are purples, blacks, chocolates, creams, greens. I am thinking about not prewashing the fabrics because those brocades are fraying like crazy, just sitting on the bolts in the store. I can almost imagine the mess I would have if I prewashed them. Plus they can not be dried in the dryer. But I am concerned about the dark colors, especially the purple. If I make the purse and then wash gently with one of those color catchers, will that take care of problems? If I like the way they turn out, I want to try to sell them in my sister's shop...so there is that angle too that someone else will have to deal with stuff after they buy it (and I'm guessing it will not be a very cheap price I will have on them either, considering the extra time for embellishing and decorative stitching). Any insight would be appreciated.

I was also thinking of using the crushed velvet for the main part of the purse and just crazy quilting the flap. Anybody know if I could iron a fusable batting to the crushed velvet? The bolt said cool iron, and the fabric is pretty thin. Maybe not the best choice?

I have a feeling this is going to be quite a challenge after working all the time with cottons!

Thanks all for any advice!

Amy

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
2,579 Posts
Points 36,115
ls2116 replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 12:27 AM

I've never done anything like this.  It sounds very pretty!  Definitely wait for others to answer but if i were making this... I wouldn't wash as the fabrics you mentioned some need dry cleaning I think.  Definitely cool iron but I think any iron bad idea with velvet.  I might steam? underside.  I would piece then use sew in batting not fusible.  ....Anybody else have suggestions.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 305
Amy replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 12:51 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. Yeah, I have never done anyting like this either. In fact, the crazy quilt never interested me in the least. But for some reason I have a desire to try something with it. I do love to embellish things, but really sort of hate hand work. So I don't know that all plays together...lol.

I did cringe if I saw "dry clean only" on the fabric bolt...so I put those back on the shelves. Actually the crushed velvet is machine wash, tumble dry low, but that is about the only one out of the "crazy" stash that can go in the dryer. Yeah, I am not sure that velvet is the best idea for the purse body. Maybe a microsuade? I would like something soft/fuzzy.

Amy

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,126 Posts
Points 411,209
gini replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 10:05 AM

amy, try a small corner of the velvet with the iron on stuff and see how it looks.  if it doen't melt the fabric it might give it a nice crushed velvet look and be usable. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

Amy:

I did cringe if I saw "dry clean only" on the fabric bolt...so I put those back on the shelves. Actually the crushed velvet is machine wash, tumble dry low, but that is about the only one out of the "crazy" stash that can go in the dryer. Yeah, I am not sure that velvet is the best idea for the purse body. Maybe a microsuade? I would like something soft/fuzzy.

Amy try the microfibers, they sew beautifully AND are machine washable.
 However, I am a fabric lover, I use ultra suede instead of microfiber, I use Italian wool instead of gabardine & so on. I wash each fabric alone when I buy it, that way I know it is treated to withstand my own use and I do wash my Ultrasuede bags. I have a cape that is 32 years old I washed the Italian wool and I dried it in the machine on low, I am still wearing it every winter. pattern #Butterick 6796 D
 wash you fabrics first , serge the ends of the brocade & if you have one use a lingerie bag
When you go through the trouble to make a crazy pieced patch of fabric, you should label it spot clean only, for those who don't know how to care for all that beauty.  One other thing I wonder what posting this question to the group of crazy quilters would result. Humm! I'd love to see what you come up with. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use