Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,570
Donna Posted: Thu, Feb 7 2013 4:19 PM
Hi All! I hope you're enjoying the longer days. I know I do! Two things... I'm looking for opinions from anyone who has or is considering a Simplicity strip cutting machine. I looked on Jo Ann's website and the reviews were mixed from love it to hate it. My other question is about spray starch. I've noticed in a couple recent magazine patterns that starching fabric is now being recommended. I have it in regular, heavy duty and sizing. I'm trying it on some fabric I just got for a 2nd version of my BOM project. Do any of you think using it is a good idea or not? Also, and unrelated, I just met a hot rodder friend of DH. He told me his DW is a quilter and they live within 10 miles of us. He's going to have her call me so we can meet at her weekly group. How exciting to make a friend so near by. Hugs to all, Donna in Oregon.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Hi Donna,

I'm going to address you second question first. I use "Mary Ellen's Best Press - Clear Starch and Sizing Alternative". It was recommended to me by a long, long time quilter that I took a class from. I don't always use it, but of I want to get hard creases out of make the fabric a little stiffer, I will use it. I also use the unscented. I think that if you do a lot of strip piecing, that little machine would come in handy; however, I don't use strips too much. I also think it is wonderful to have a quilting friend. I live in a very small town and don't know anyone who quilts. Enjoy you new friend.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 335
Paula replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 5:27 PM

I have looked at the Simplicity machine myself and from the Amazon reviews, I decided not to get it.  It only got an average of 3 star reviews so I am interested in what others here have to say as well.  So I won't be much help with that part of your question.

As for the spray starch, I use Mary Ellen's best press.  It doesn't gunk up my iron, it gets out stubborn wrinkles easily and I have been using the linen scent.   Smells nice and fresh.  I use it on all of my quilting fabrics.  It makes it somewhat stiffer and easy to work with.  Finger pressing is easier and holds the shape really well also after having been ironed with it.  I think it's great stuff!

Hope that helps!

Paula

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 6:07 PM

Donna

I don't know anything about the strip cutter so can't help there.   I do use Best Press alot and also have used all of the other starches mentioned when I needed to get my fabric stiffer.  It is much easier to handle.   I like the results with all of them but of love the scents of the Best Press.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 7:14 PM

Nana,  I like Best press too, but I bought a bottle of the rose scented one and must have an allergy to it.  Everytime I try to use it I start coughing and feeling congested.  I think that I'll revert to the scentless one as I like the job it does when I need it.   Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,037
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 7:40 PM

Donna,

one of the local machine dealers here has one set up in the shop and the ladies who work there don't like it. They feel it's easier to cut strips with a rotary cutter and ruler.

I also use Mary Ellen's Best Press and really like it. I've tried lavender fields, cherry blossom and tea rose garden. The lavender and tea rose made me cough a lot (like Ginny) so I ordered some scent free. I sometimes use magic sizing and get good results with that too.

Good old fashioned starch works too but I've been told that starch attracts bugs (silverfish in particular) and should probably not be used on items that will not be washed.

It's awesome you've found a new quilting friend. Let us know how the meeting goes.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,607
Points 27,055
Debbie replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 7:47 PM

Mary Ellen's Best Press - ok, what's this stuff and where do you find it?  may need to get me some

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,499
Points 48,285
Angele replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 7:57 PM

You can find best Press at most quilt shops. I use that and magic sizing. I like the fact that it reduces the fraying also.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,875
Sukochi replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 8:01 PM

I think Best Press is tooo expensive. 16 oz for over $7.00 is way pricey. I get Migic Sizing at Walmart. Like it just fine.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,037
Points 369,052
Kris replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 8:33 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

I think Best Press is tooo expensive. 16 oz for over $7.00 is way pricey. I get Migic Sizing at Walmart. Like it just fine.

It is pricey. I order by the gallon from JoAnn's using my discount coupons.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 9:31 PM

I just picked up magic sizing at family dollar store for $1.15.  I can fill my best press at one of the lqs for $6.00 if I bring the empty bottle in.     Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 9:54 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

Buy Best Press by the gallon from JoAnns.com with a 50% off coupon!  It's $43.99 right now, so that would be about $22.00 with the coupon - $5.50 per quart.  (If you order $50 or more, there is free shipping too.)

I re-fill my smaller bottle as needed and that gallon will last me almost a year!

I too have problems with the scents, so prefer the scent-free.

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 10:53 PM

Ginny

The tea rose is my favorite and its the hardest to find.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,650
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 10:55 PM

Donna B

I buy my Best Press in gallon jugs from JoAnns too.   Just refill my spray bottle.   Much cheaper that way.    Sometimes you can find it on Amazon at really good prices.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,837
Points 248,874
Barbara replied on Fri, Feb 8 2013 12:57 AM

I use both best press (lavender is my scent) and non aresol spray starch also lavender scent.  I got some at Hanovers when I was at Theas and I love it .  I also buy my best press in the gallon bottle and refill.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use