storing fabric in boxes

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
382 Posts
Points 6,560
Phyllis posted on Tue, Feb 5 2013 9:26 PM

I have some great boxes that would be perfect for storing separate projects in.  would the cardboard damage my fabric in any way?

Bonner Springs, Kansas

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,649 Posts
Points 135,957

Phyllis, i use boxes all the time, haven't seen a problem with them yet

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
382 Posts
Points 6,560

Thanks Leslie, I'll go with them.

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Feb 8 2013 6:14 AM

Nice thing about the boxes is they keep the fabric protected from the light.  I have my fabric in a sunny room and would worry about it fading if it was not covered.  Some of my favorite fabrics I have had for years, and would be very disappointed to unfold them and find it had fade lines at the folds. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
39 Posts
Points 255
L Kohl replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 4:50 PM

Short term is not a problem.  Many plastic boxes are now manufactured and labeled acid free - specificly for scrapbookers and quilters..  Cardboard is not acid free and can cause a reaction in fabric.  However, I have not seen any information on how long it takes to do damage.

I have used cardboard boxes for storage - fabric and projects -  in many cases for years.  There are a few occasions when I have noticed discoloration where the fabric was in contact with the cardboard.  I have to admit that I have found boxes that are the perfect size and shape to store a project in until I can get around to making it.  I am not a nutter when it comes to choosing my storage but I would prefer to use acid free and try to do so when I can.  I acquire many of my acid free plastics from thrift shops.  In today's throw away society these items are frequently bought for kids and used only briefly.  Fortunately they get given to thrift shops.  They may need a good scrubbing or permanent makers have been used on them but so what?

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 295

Also you can use acid free tissue to layer the fabric or a piece of an old sheet as lining before putting in the boxes. I like to use tissue because of the possibility of color crocking - haven't had that problem in a long time but you never know.  I've been getting some incredible fashion fabrics at discount from one online company and just got an order from another that is so luscious I want to sleep with it wrapped around me. I would mention the companies but don't know the QCA policy - I'm not an employee, just another fabric junkie.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
382 Posts
Points 6,560

I don't think it goes against policy because several of us have listed companies where we buy fabric on line in response to people's questions.  I'm dying to know!

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Not Ranked
23 Posts
Points 295

Fabric Mart  and Fashion Fabrics are two. I know Fashion Fabrics has been around for a long time, but the other is new to me and has designer fabrics at incredible discounts for apparel sewing.  There are so many others online that I've found and am happy with - mostly because we only have one chain store providing fabric in our small town, and the closest serious fabric store is a 2-1/2 hr drive. But more on topic, DebSews has some exquisite Japanese-style floral prints for quilts. Sorry if this is old news for everyone. I don't visit the message boards much.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
382 Posts
Points 6,560

I've never heard of any of them, I'll have to check them out.

Bonner Springs, Kansas

Top 50 Contributor
2,626 Posts
Points 36,875
ls2116 replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 4:44 PM

I also wondered if it would be safe.  I'm sticking to my bins.   So far my stored fabric that is exposed to air gets dusty,  but I have most of it in dresser , then there are my 3 plastic bins haven't checked them lately and they've been in there 14yrs.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
506 Posts
Points 7,955
Joyce replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 5:06 PM

I have several quilt tops in a plastic storage bin in a basement closet and when I pulled one out to quilt I found it smelled a little musty.  It is better as it has been out for a while waiting for me to work on it.  I was thinking of airing it out on the line this summer for a while.  I wondered if I put a dryer sheet in the bin if that would help or if it would harm the material. 

Joyce

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,325 Posts
Points 36,575
Linda replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 5:20 PM

I've stored my fabric in the clear plastic storage bins for years. I've never had a problem with mustiness, mold, or anything else. It probably wouldn't hurt to put a dryer sheet in; however, I've had dryer sheets leave spots on my clothes in the dryer. Maybe tape it to the lid.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
506 Posts
Points 7,955
Joyce replied on Tue, Feb 19 2013 5:25 PM

Thanks Linda, I will try that.  I think I will drag that bin out when I get a spot cleared out and take the lid off to air it all.  My DGS decided he would spend time with me when I'm sewing and put a folding table up and put his microscope & other things on the table.  Now I can barely get in the door and knock my hip when I go to get laundry to wash. ha  That is a good ideal to tape the sheet to the lid.  After all the work on those quilt tops I don't want them ruined before I can even get around to quilting them some day.

Joyce

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,325 Posts
Points 36,575
Linda replied on Thu, Feb 21 2013 7:01 PM

Joyce, I think that is so sweet that your hubby wants to spend time with you while you are sewing. Even if he concentrates on his microscope and you your quilting, you are still together. That's soooo cool.

Hugs, Linda

Not Ranked
Female
14 Posts
Points 235

I have used dryer fabric sheets with crochet quilts and there was a terrible odor after 6 years.  I would not recommend the fabric sheets.  I no longer use them in anything I store, quilts or afghans.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use