Sandwiching

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 40
Lillian posted on Tue, Feb 5 2013 5:10 PM

Have you ever sandwiched your quilt o a bed?  Table surfaces are on-existent; floor to low for my old back.

Any suggestions?

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,723 Posts
Points 121,515

Lillian. I would think it would be difficult to use a bed for sandwiching. The pins or basting would too easily get caught in the mattress. One other thought would be to ask a local quilt shop, if you have one, if you can use their tables. Our quilt shops are only too happy to let people use their tables during slow times for sandwiching quilts. Or, tables at church or community hall might be another option.

One of these days I'm going to get a 4x8 piece of plywood to set up on sawhorses in our garage. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,079
gini replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 5:33 PM

hi lillian, welcome to the group

i sandwich quilts on a wall.   the last double bed sized quilt i basted took 40 minutes from taping it on the wall until i put the last pinmoor in.  you need a large wall and be able to go up and down a step ladder and be able to sit on a short stool to do the bottom, but is it fast and easy

kris, can i buy your pinmoors?   i need some more and thought i would get yours if you're not using them. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,723 Posts
Points 121,515

gini:
i sandwich quilt on a wall.  

Gini, I really hadn't thought of using a wall. I'd just have to take down Harry Potter temporarily. I may give that a try on my next large quilt.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,723 Posts
Points 121,515

gini:
i sandwich quilt on a wall.

Gini, a question.  When you use the wall, What kind of tape do you use to secure each layer to the wall?  Masking tape? I haven't had much luck with masking tape and fabric when I've tried to tape it to a table.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 40

Thanks Judy.  I was trying to avoid the quilt shop trip but it is probably necessary.

Top 500 Contributor
124 Posts
Points 1,930

Judy,

Top 500 Contributor
124 Posts
Points 1,930

Judy, I don't tape to a wall, but I tape to the floor and have had excellent luck with the orange painters' tape.  I had bad luck with the blue and my contractor recommended the orange or green.  The orange sticks well to the tile and to the fabric, but doesn't leave adhesive residue either place.  

stitcheraz

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,723 Posts
Points 121,515

stitcheraz:

Judy, I don't tape to a wall, but I tape to the floor and have had excellent luck with the orange painters' tape.  I had bad luck with the blue and my contractor recommended the orange or green.  The orange sticks well to the tile and to the fabric, but doesn't leave adhesive residue either place.  stitcheraz

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Floor sandwiching is out of the question for me, so will see if it will hold to the fabric and the wall.

Top 500 Contributor
124 Posts
Points 1,930

Judy, the orange tape works great getting fabric fastened to tables as well.  I've used it on tables at my LQS several times.  I don't like the floor, but when I have to, scooting around on my "tush" beats crawling on the knees...

stitcheraz

P.S.  Sorry for the extra Judy before.  Don't know why it posted, but it did...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,079
gini replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 6:59 PM

judy, i use masking tape, the wide stuff.   i put about 8 pieces along the top, and several down the sides.  i do one on one side,  then one on the other side, back and forth;  very lightly stretching as i go.  i will sometimes need to reposition some of the tape.  i use just enough tape to hold the bottom without wrinkles.    i then tape the  batting at the top and smooth it onto the back.  i pu t the batting tape right over the backing tape to make it easier to pull off.    sometimes i need to  secure it with a few tapes on the sides.   sometimes you will need to put a few pieces of tape at the top of the front, but for the most part static cling holds the top to the batt.   i smooth until it's good to go.  gravity does a lot of the work for me.    then i use the pinmoors.   they are the strike indicators that fly fishermen use, and sturdy straight pins to hold them on.  i'll try to remember to bring a few pinmoors to the retreat.   barbara and i used basting spray at the smokey mountain retreat and it worked well.   i like the pinmoors better.  i keep them in a basket with their pins, and put the basket to the right of the  sewing machine when i'm quilting.   i toss them in the basket as i go along. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,882 Posts
Points 367,022
Kris replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 8:03 PM

gini:
kris, can i buy your pinmoors?   i need some more and thought i would get yours if you're not using them. 

Gini,

you don't have to pay for them, I'll send them to you. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,079
gini replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 1:13 AM

thanks kris, i would like to pay for them, too.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use