Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 105
Joan Posted: Thu, Apr 30 2009 11:08 PM

What's the best way to store quilts? I have too many for beds now and want to make sure I am taking care of them porperly.

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 65

Joan,

If you have a spare bed, it is best to lay them out flat.  If folded, refold them at least 2 times a year.  Don't pile them too much on each other, someone told me it is the weight that causes the permenant creases to form.  Or you could roll them on noodles(those long foam things for the pool) but then you need someplace to store the noodles.  Not much help, but a few suggestions.

Edna

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 264
Points 5,053

Joan,

I have four quilt racks and hang mine on the racks.  I wonder about space bags?  You know those bags you use a vacuum to suck the air out.  It seems like they would be safe in there.  And, it would give you more room to store even more quilts.

Kathy Patterson - Fort Worth, Texas

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 605
Points 14,486
Tammy replied on Thu, Jul 2 2009 3:41 PM

Joan-  I wish I knew!! Every time I make a quilt I give it away to someone.  I know my Aunt Shirley gets the acid free boxes and tissue paper and wraps hers in that to store them.

Tammy--NE.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,406
Points 361,182
Kris replied on Thu, Jul 2 2009 4:41 PM

I don't think the space bags would be a good choice for storing quilts. They are plastic - big no no - and they will definitely cause permanent creasing.

If you cant lay them out or store them on a rack they should probably be stored in something that's 100% cotton. When I give someone a quilt - I have yet to keep something I made - I make a bag out of left over fabric in which to keep it. 

I've since found drawstring storage bags at connecting threads. They come in two sizes and have a pocket where care instructions can be placed.

Kris

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,302
Points 414,089
gini replied on Thu, Jul 2 2009 11:48 PM

kris, what a great idea, making bags to keep the quilts in.  another way to use up all that extra fabric.  now i'll just have to hold myself back from buying extra fabric to make them.      gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

You could always make drawstring bags out of your leftovers Gini :)

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Wed, Jul 15 2009 12:59 AM

Kris I do like that idea and I will have to go make some now for some of the quilts I have. No they are not ones I made they are handy downs or from good ole summer picnic/homecomings.

I have to say I was looking yest and I was wondering if the creases would set and be permenate. I take em out and refold em cause most were made back many yrs ago when hand quilting was what ya did. Thanks for the suggestion...now maybe I can mark that off my worry list.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Wed, Jul 15 2009 1:00 AM

OK who is trying to break the law and not buy extra fabric????

giggles...Buy extra fabric so your sure to have enough left over fabric to make the bags.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

I have never had to worry about storing a quilt, I have given them all away thus far. But this is very useful information to file away for future use.

T Lynn - SW Idaho

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,203
Points 239,127
Thea replied on Wed, Jul 15 2009 2:25 PM

I store quilts in the cloth boxes from Nancy's Notions... I can store 3 in each bag... I change out the quilts throughout the house for each season and holiday.

I change the way I fold them too - if I have seamed the backing then I do not fold on that seam - I have seen too many quilts shown at guild where there is a definite crease there...

I also have them thick on the spare bed.

My antique quilt top is in the acid free paper in one of the cloth boxes too.

God bless,

Althea

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 95

Suggestion for storing quilts. wrap in acid free paper and then put them in a pillowcase. I live in an old house, closet  space in tiny. With the pillow cases, they stack quite nice. You can get pillow cases reasonable at Big Lots or store like that.  My problem is finding the acid free paper. My local quilt shops ( ina 25 mile radious) does not carry the paper and does not know where to get them. Any suggestions?? I live in the San Francisco Bay, Ca. area.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,203
Points 239,127
Thea replied on Wed, Jul 22 2009 10:19 PM

Sandra, I think Nancys Notions online carries them.  I got my cloth zippered boxes from there and I think I saw the acid free paper there too.  You might also try a local Hallmark store -  I think they carry the paper - I am not sure about Staples but a paper store ought to have it.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 95

Thank you for your suggestions. I did get some from Nancy's Notions. Our Hallmark store went out of business (recession). I didn't think of Staples. I'll give them a try.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Sat, Dec 5 2009 10:37 PM

Joan:

What's the best way to store quilts? I have too many for beds now and want to make sure I am taking care of them porperly.

I make big pillow cases for them or use Kings size already made ones, to store or ship quilts.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use