Top 10 Posters

Is it always necessary to wash fabric scraps before piecing?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 345
Jo Williams posted on Tue, Feb 5 2013 12:42 AM

I have been given a large supply of fabric scraps - many are very small pieces. I would like to use these in a scrappy quilt but but I'm not sure whether they have been pre-washed. I hate to think of the ravelly mess I would end up with if I had to wash all the pieces first. I would think the quilting process would keep the pieces stabilized enough to prevent much shrinkage but I'm hesitant to proceed without some advice.  

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,199 Posts
Points 16,075

I would not wash scraps as they fray to much.   Susan

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,507 Posts
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 6:05 AM

I agree, I would not wash them.  I've had scraps like that and went ahead and used them and everything was fine.  No problems at all.   I did wash the quilt after it was done.  Good Luck and have fun

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 345

Thank you! I really appreciate such a quick reply! I have used scraps like this in crazy quilting projects without a thought because those were not meant to be washed anyway. I feel more at ease about using them in a more 'usable' item, now. Have a Great Day & thanks, again!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,020 Posts
Points 28,490

I agree with the others. Sometimes the pieces are just not worth the trouble of even wetting them and ironing them dry. I have done that with fat quarters.  I just wanted to take the time to welcome you to the site.

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 60

My sister irons them with steam just in case they have the tendency to really shrink.  Now I have started doing that.  Anyone else?

Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 345

Thank you, Ramona, for your nice welcome. I'm beginning to take up traditional quilting after several years of doing the 'crazy' kind. :o) I look forward to learning the 'ins & outs' from this group of very talented stitchers!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 345

RE:glutenfreequilter: That's a really good idea & a pretty simple solution -  especially for those scraps that might be most questionable. I will definately use this trick! Thank you!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
665 Posts
Points 12,705

Dear Glutenfreequilter, 

just noticed your ID, I'm also gluten free, was wondering how long you have been gluten free?

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 60

Michelle.....about 6 years.  Life changing to say the least!

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 60

Michelle - how long have you been gluten free?  How are you doing with it?

Not Ranked
39 Posts
Points 255
L Kohl replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 4:15 PM

Machine washing would produce nothing but a ravelled mess.  Small pieces should be washed by hand only.

As for shrinkage problem - most fabrics today don't shrink enough to be a problem.  However, when being given scraps some may have been pre-washed and some may not have.  In that case my preference would be to wash all before using.  Washing produces a softer texture and when dealing with unknown scraps I prefer to be sure that I am working with a uniform feel.

The idea of steam pressing is a good alternative to washing.  Even misting as you press is a good idea.

My mother always pre-washed her fabric.  As few years ago I was making a scrap quilt and raiding her stash for increased variety in the pieces.  After sewing small sections together I pressed them.  There was one fabric that shrank when I did the pressing.  I had to take that section apart and re-cut that piece.  My mother had pre-washed the fabric but it reacted to the heat and steam from the pressing.  No amount of fudging would make it fit.  If I had waited to do the pressing until the quilt top was completed, it would have been a real problem.  That piece would have caused a pucker that looked like Mount Everest.  I am not exagerating.

Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 345

Thank you, L Kohl. I really appreciate your input. There is nothing like experience - even if it isn't your own! That's why these forums are so valuable! I have decided to either steam iron or mist & iron, as you suggested. :o)

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use