Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 2,460
Jennifer Schifano Thomas Posted: Sun, Feb 3 2013 10:00 AM

I recently came across a magnetic air deflector that is used to move the air from floor vents in another direction.  It is made of clear plastic and shaped like a pocket. It wasn't in use, so I stuck it to the side of my metal sewing desk to get it out of the way.  It was right next to my ironing board.  I started to put all those little bits of thread and lint that I come across while ironing into the air deflector pocket instead of throwing them on the floor, to sweep up later.  I was surprised how quickly it filled up.  Now I can't live without it.

Jennifer Schifano Thomas

curlicuecreations.com

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,822
Points 248,574
Barbara replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 12:08 PM

Jennifer ,sounds like something I could use ,as all my junk goes to the floor and later  pickup .. thanks for the suggestion .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 766
Points 10,049
Rhonnie replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 3:21 PM

Jennifer...this is an great idea. Now I wish my sewing desk was metal. I usually make a little pile to the side of my machine and put them in a box to make a christmas gift for people who like to feed the birds. I put the thread with pieces of yarn and stuffing/batting in a suet feeder. These items are what the birds use to help make nests. Sadly but the last few years this has been slim givings cause I haven't been actively sewing but this year these are back on the christmas gifts to make list.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 27
Points 340
Rita replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 4:30 PM

If you aren't able to use the magnetic attachment, perhaps you can use velcro instead.  Whatever did we do without it?????

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 766
Points 10,049
Rhonnie replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 4:46 PM

Oh yes what did the world do pre-velro day? I can't imagine how they did some things

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 2,460

Rita,

Velcro is a great idea!  Just because I have an old metal desk that my metal worker husband converted into a sewing table, doesn't mean everyone else does!  LOL.  I don't know how I lived before my "thread catcher".  Everything is so much neater and it's amazing how fast the little bits of fluff add up.

Jennifer Schifano Thomas

curlicuecreations.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 791
Points 20,075
Carol replied on Mon, Feb 4 2013 10:14 PM

We keep thread catchers at each machine, and by the ironing station - we catch threads and very small pieces trimmed off, then at the end of the day, empty these small scraps and threads into our "doggy pillows".  Also scrap fabric, like upholstery samples or such that we don't use for quiltilng, is used to make the pillow forms.  The Humane Society really appreciates these, just another way we can use our time and scraps to help (keeps the floors cleaner, too!)  Tomorrow is another quilting day at the cabin, wish you all could come and join us sometime!  We always have a good time, learn something, and get things done for charity too.  By the way, you know how threads tend to stick to your fingers when you try to put them down?  Hang a dryer sheet on top of your thread catcher to solve that problem!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use