Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy Posted: Sun, Feb 3 2013 8:03 AM

I am finally doing it! Reorganizing my studio that is! I recently had a Thirty-One show in my home and was able to get most of the storage things I need to organize my studio. (I think I may need to have another show to get the rest of what I need).  They have great square and rectangle bins with "windows" on the end so you can see what's in it. 

Anyway, I digress. My question. I have hundreds of patterns stuck in a drawer and need to sort them somehow so I can easily find what I want and maybe use some of the patterns I bought but forgot about. I don't like sorting into size because I typically modify most patterns to fit the size I want. Advice? suggestions?

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 8:30 AM

I recently sorted my patterns.  The easiest part was to take all those I had collected from print outs, our MQs, freebees from magazine solicitations and put those in a note book.  Then I had one of those accordion type files that I filed by what ever the topic or type of quilting was.   B for bags, P for paper pieced, A for animals, T for table runners, etc.   Whatever would click my memory of what I had. Not that great a system.  Too many things ended up in Misc. 

I think sorting patterns is as difficult as sorting fabric.  For those with no "topic" I might put into sections "done, doing, and did."   All my old clothing patterns just went into a bin.  Many from years ago.  Got some 'retro' patterns there.   I don't tend to collect that many bed quilt patterns.  On my EQ5, I list designs under whatever, or whoever the quilt was for.  "Barbara's quilt, wedding quilt, baby quilt," etc.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 8:46 AM

thanks for the ideas ,Patti, I just have all mine in a bag that have not been done and a drawer for those I have done, All the ones I"ve printed are in notebooks .  but I have many that like you mentioned ,have no home..the file is a good idea, I think I have one of those.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 9:12 AM

I have one of those huge, tall, deep file cabinets. It is in the closet, in my sewing room. It used to hold all my genealogy research, which took up three of those cabinets. I have moved on from geneealogy. Once I found that not one person, but me, in the family cared, I decided I had lost interest, too. But, then several months ago, a church friend asked that I do hers and I work on it off and on.

Anyway, I have this great storage space for patterns. I will get it organized. It has some files for patterns but needs to really be organized. It will be great. I intend to use the bottom drawers for some magazine storage, as well. I can not bear to tear pages out of my quilting mags, or give them up.  

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 9:12 AM

I agree Patti! It is as difficult as fabric! Thanks for the idea! Here goes nothing

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,449
Points 47,720
Angele replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 11:51 AM

Patti I use one of those accordion file to put all the small patterns I have. I like your idea of dividing them further in subject.  I too like Sukochi can't bear to rip my magazine.  I do have to go through and see if I want to keep them all.  Hard work.

Angèle  from NWO

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 14
Points 100
Helen replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 9:58 AM

Many years ago I read how to keep things in order so I took a photocopy of my patterns and put them in a loose leaf tablet in order of Dresses, Gifts, Slacks, etc., now I don't bother my patterns until I find the one I want to make from the pages in my tablet then go to my patterns (that were put in order by number) and easily find what I want.  It may take some time to get started, but if you keep up with it whenever you buy a pattern, it saves so much time.  Good luck

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use