Cutting fabric for backing

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
293 Posts
Points 4,535
Mary789 posted on Sat, Feb 2 2013 2:59 PM

I am piecing my backing fabric for my MQ6.    I have a center section being the full width of fabric and a long piece on each side of that center section.  I have already cut the selvages off.  To get the desired width,  can I fold these long side panels once or twice so that I can use a 24" ruler?  Or do I have to cut them as a single layer of fabric like I did to cut off selvages. 

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
132 Posts
Points 1,755

I certainly hope someone with a lot more experience than I have answers you but I personally would only fold once andI  use 2 rulers.  Folding more than once is possible but you must be careful so as not to get inaccuracy from slipping.... The extra ruler is what I use to Measure the depth and the 24" the length....here's hoping someone comes to your request.....as you certainly don't want to mess up that amount of material and be sure to allow extra according to your quilter if you are having someone else quilt it.....

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
53 Posts
Points 940

I usually tear my backing fabric.  It gives me straighter edges than when I cut.  I make about an inch cut about 1-2 inches from selvage and tear.  After I tear the selvages off I sew the two widths of fabric together and then sew the two outside edges together so that you end up with a tube.  Then I fold the fabric lengthwise matching the seams.  You can now tear on one of the folds giving you one full width in the center and two half widths on either side.  Or, you can measure from one of the seams the amount of fabric you want to cut or tear off.  For example, if you want a full width in center (say 42 inches from seam to seam) and only need 10 inch width on either side, you would measure 10 inches from the seam line and mark the edge -- turn the fabric over and mark the other side.  Then make a cut on both marks and tear the fabric.  When the fabric is laid out flat you will have the full width center panel plus two 10 inch panels on each side and you end up with a 22 inch wide leftover piece of fabric.

Top 50 Contributor
2,906 Posts
Points 40,885

I can't picture it maybe post a pic.  But if your generally asking if your rotary cutting can you cut more than one piece of fabric at a time then I'll tell ya I rotary cut multiple layers of fabric at a time.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,850 Posts
Points 85,825

This will probaby get a belly laugh. But, I lay out the backing fabric and lay the quilt on top. this is all on the floor. Then, I put my large cutting mat under one side of the backing fabric, measure the 4 inch needed by my LAQ'er, and cut on the mat. Then I more to the other three sides and do it all again.

I am a visual person and the tearing methoed sounds good, but without seeing it, I can't figure it out. Just me.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,850 Posts
Points 85,825

This will probaby get a belly laugh. But, I lay out the backing fabric and lay the quilt on top. this is all on the floor. Then, I put my large cutting mat under one side of the backing fabric, measure the 4 inch needed by my LAQ'er, and cut on the mat. Then I more to the other three sides and do it all again.

I am a visual person and the tearing methoed sounds good, but without seeing it, I can't figure it out. Just me.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,497 Posts
Points 48,230

Sukochi I do the same even though I quilt most of mine myself. I need to see and make sure it's where I  the seams or blocks to be.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,582 Posts
Points 23,990
Susie replied on Mon, Feb 4 2013 9:25 AM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

That's my preferred method as well.  I've been short when I've tried to measure it out.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 500 Contributor
Female
293 Posts
Points 4,535

Thanks for y'alls responses!  I understand both of these methods.  Thanks for the help.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
703 Posts
Points 13,335

No laughing from me!  I have to do the exact same thing. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210

It's easier to just buy wide width fabric and do no cutting and no piecing.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,850 Posts
Points 85,825

Jen, this is true, but I want my backs to echo some of the fabric on the front. I worked hard to the quilt and I want everything to blend. I have never found a wide backing fabric that would do that. I don't even use a matching solid. . I guess I want an interesting and fun back., to go with the interesting and fun front. 'D

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
1,528 Posts
Points 31,105
Diana replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 11:04 AM

Jen,      That's exactly what I do.  I buy extra wide fabric for backings....no piecing.  Every once in a while I will piece a backing when it's a charity quilt and I have some large leftover pieces that will match the front.  

Diana in East Tn.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
505 Posts
Points 10,210

Sukochi, I understand that, I used to do that too, but since I found BacksideFabrics.com I have been using the white sateen for all my quilts...it is soooo soft and is so easy to quilt, I hand quilt and it shows my work nicely...they do have a nice selection of prints also...there's just something about the sateen though...I just love it.

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 200 Contributor
Female
331 Posts
Points 5,860
Jenia replied on Tue, Mar 26 2013 2:40 PM

Wow, Jen, thank you for the link to backsidefabric.com

I have had luck finding backing sizes on ebay and have had great success with prices there as well.

It's always good to have a second source and your source shows great examples! 

I'm showing great will power for the rest of the day at work not going there to check out what's available.  The web site says grab a cup of coffee and browse - well I will have to grab an ice tea after work this evening and go browsing :>)

Great resource!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use