Top 10 Posters

How should I go about this....

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 27 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
56 Posts
Points 1,355
Sara posted on Fri, Feb 1 2013 6:11 PM

I am getting ready to machine stitch in the ditch my first quilt. I know I should start in the center and work my way out. My quilt top is 9 patch blocks alternated with solid blocks. I am curious how you all would go about quilting it such as...would work down a seam to the edge one way then turn it 180 degrees and go the other way and then do the same going across it  and keep doing that then go back and quilt the individual blocks in the 9 patches? Does that make sense? Or would you just start in the center and work your way out in all directions? Also I am unsure as to how would be best to quilt the solid blocks? I am thinking of just continuing the lines from the 9 patches across them....what do you think? Remember this is my FIRST time doing this so I want to keep it simple and realistic. Thank you for the help. :) Here is a picture of my quilt top. 

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,509 Posts
Points 30,680
Diana replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 6:16 AM

Sara,   Just so you know,  Nana doesn't make quilts, she's our tent maker....lol   She makes huge quilts and quilts them on a regular sewing machine.  She does beautiful work so I'd do whatever she says.  I'm going to try and do some machine quilting when she's here at my house at the end of the month.  Then to pick her brain some more in Branson.   I'll figure it out soon and not have to send quilts out to LAQ or tie them like I usually do.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 10:31 AM

here's what leah day suggests, i tried it and it does go a bit quicker.  

start at center and work your way to outside, drop down and work your way back to center,  drop down and work your way back to outside, keep repeating until this quadrant is done.  rotate quilt 90 degrees, work back to center, drop down work back to outside.keep going until all four quardrants are finished.  she recommends working no more than4-6 inch swathes at a time.      i don't know how well this would work for stitch in the ditch, but it works wonderfully for meanders. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
56 Posts
Points 1,355
Sara replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 11:15 AM

Diana:

Sara,   Just so you know,  Nana doesn't make quilts, she's our tent maker....lol   She makes huge quilts and quilts them on a regular sewing machine.  She does beautiful work so I'd do whatever she says. 

Diana - that is good to know about Nana! LOL :) I will certainly take her advice and do what she suggests. I need to do some more practice stitching first before tackling my DD's quilt. I hope to get a fair amount done on it today. I am going to sequester my daughter and myself in our "chick cave" (aka my craft room/ her playroom) later since DH is home sick with a tummy bug today. :( 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Sara, we have a" Fear no More" quilting group in the groups it is free to join, I host this group and you are welcome to come over and join  we are working on a project but you are free to ask for any help on anything you'd like down to the basices ,,Hope to see you there , Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,443 Posts
Points 176,258
Marie replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 5:39 PM

Sara, i haven't welcomed you so WELCOME to the gang!  Your quilt is very pretty and I see you have expert advice on how to quilt it.  Have fun with it and don't forget to post when it's done.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

I think the most important thing is to baste the quilt well before you start quilting.

Not Ranked
Female
56 Posts
Points 1,355
Sara replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 6:48 PM

Thank you for the welcome Marie! I started quilting my DD's quilt today and so far so good. I will post a picture of it for sure when it is done. :)

Not Ranked
Female
56 Posts
Points 1,355
Sara replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 6:50 PM

Jeanine:

I think the most important thing is to baste the quilt well before you start quilting.

Jeanine I basted it with about 300 safety pins!

Not Ranked
Female
56 Posts
Points 1,355
Sara replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 6:50 PM

Jeanine:

Jeanine I basted it with about 300 safety pins!

Not Ranked
Female
56 Posts
Points 1,355
Sara replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 12:57 PM

I am about finished stitching the seams between my big blocks on my DD's quilt. Now my question is....when I sew the seams in the 9 patch blocks and across the big solid blocks should I still start from the center and work out or would it be ok to go from edge to edge? Also, at what point would you suggest that I stitch around the outside edge by the border piece? Here is the pic of her quilt so you have an idea of what I am asking. Thanks for the help!! 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 1:04 PM

Sara

Once you have all the "rows" stabilized with quilting you can start on the blocks anywhere that you want.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
56 Posts
Points 1,355
Sara replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 1:07 PM

That is kind of what I figured but wanted to be sure. I am thinking about doing the outside border last. Is that what you would recommend? 

So, far I am pretty happy with how it is coming out especially since I am doing this on a machine without a walking foot or speed control. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 1:11 PM

Sara

Stitch in the ditch around the inside of the first border to stabilize all of your blocks.  Then you can do the rest of the border when you finish the body of the quilt.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use