Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 75
countrycarol Posted: Thu, Jan 31 2013 11:17 AM

I bought a white down comforter that I love, but want to protect it somewhat from being soiled. I truly do not like the looks or the price of most duvet covers and wondered if anyone has ever quilted a topper to be used on one. There would be no need for batting.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,879
gini replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 12:11 AM

i think it would be a great project.  without the batting you wouldn't have a quilted look, but i think it would be fine.   i would piece a top and bottom, stitch them on three sides, tuck a lining inside to secure loose threads, and construct a closing.  easy peasy

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 5:32 AM

I thinks it's a great idea. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 75

Thanks for the idea. That is how I was thinking about doing it, but happy to learn someone was thinking along those lines. Appreciate any suggestions.

country carol

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Fri, Feb 1 2013 11:17 AM

Wow!  This is a timely topic for me.  We're moving into a new house soon and my idea is to buy a white down comforter for our bed and make some seasonal toppers to add a pop of color.  I haven't put much thought into it yet but I like the idea of not using batting.  I think it will drape nicer over the foot of the bed. I don't like the looks of the duvet covers, either.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 3
Points 75

I think lots of people are thinking this way. We may just cause a revolution !!! Happy sewing and I hope you share your ideas.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,560
ls2116 replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 10:43 PM

Last year I bought down comforter and duvet The duvet was constructed like a pillow sham without a ruffle edge.  The overlap part has button holes.hope this helps.  I really like your idea of piecing one.  Wish I would've thought of that!  Make sure to post pic of yours.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 762
Points 9,954
Rhonnie replied on Sat, Feb 2 2013 11:05 PM

I think you have a good idea and will end up with something nice...

I personally well have one I did in storage somewhere if one of the kids didn't grab it. I took my down comforter for some reason white is the color and of all colors for me white has never been. I took a sewing class in HS...I had to have easy A,  right? Our teacher was into redoing things instead of buying anything. So one of the projects a girl did was duvet cover....I personally wanted something more real store bought looking. I took 2 pieces of fabric to cover the comforter and made a pillow case cause you want to wash it probably more. I put nice buttons on the bottom that which worked to close up the opening and keep it with easy access to remove the down comforter as needed. I know it wasn't perfect but it worked for me and atleast being young I could have change and not look at the white stained comforter. Farm life, white and me are not friends at any point in my life.

I'm a material girl....Want to see my fabric collection?

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,351
Points 46,480
Angele replied on Sun, Feb 3 2013 11:59 AM

My friend did a duvet cover for her daughter. She used flat sheets the color her daughter wanted and appliqués geometric shapes o. It.  At th bottom, she put big buttons. All fun and young.

Angèle  from NWO

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use