zippered leaders

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 75
Sandy posted on Wed, Jan 30 2013 4:28 PM

What are your opions of using zippers to load your quilts?

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,923 Posts
Points 26,980
Answered (Verified) Ramona replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 11:35 AM
Verified by Sandy

Sandy,

I have zippered leaders.  I pin to those leaders as opposed to machine basting the quilt to the leaders. To me it's much easier to pin than to take it off and go to the sewing machine to baste the quilt components on. As mentioned here there are Red Snappers out there and several individuals on here do use those.  I have heard both pros and cons relating to the Red Snappers.  I'm just going to stick with pinning the quilt to the leaders.

Hope you get more responses.

Welcome to the site!

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,019 Posts
Points 12,865

I'm not sure i understand?  Could you explain more?

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
514 Posts
Points 10,440

Maggie, I believe Sandy is talking about the leaders for longarm machines that have zippers to allow you to change the quilts on the machine without having to unpin and pin again. The edges of the leaders have a zipper to attach the quilt pieces to the rollup bar.

Sandy, I don't have zippered leaders but I only do one quilt at a time. If I did longarm work as a business, I'd probably get some. I've never heard anything good or bad about them. People whom I've met at classes have used them but I never asked their opinions because I didn't have any interest in purchasing them. So, anyway, if you are in business as a longarmer, I'd say it's a good idea to use the zippered leaders.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
615 Posts
Points 11,735

There is a new option I saw being used at a quilt shop in Alabama.  They are called Red Snappers Quilting Frame Loading Systems.  I saw them on Nancys' Notions for $59 and they don't do any damage to the edges of the quilt when being loaded. I haven't used them yet but all the ladies at this quilt shop say they are wonderful and easy to use. I will put the link to them on nancy's notions so you can look them up. 

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/10%27+quilting+frame+loading+system.do

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
615 Posts
Points 11,735

There's also a video on the site to explain how they work.  I haven't invested in them yet, but going to ask for, for Mother's day!!

Michelle B

Top 150 Contributor
Female
615 Posts
Points 11,735

I haven't invested in them yet, but will ask for I think for Mother's Day!! 

Michelle B

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,923 Posts
Points 26,980
Answered (Verified) Ramona replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 11:35 AM
Verified by Sandy

Sandy,

I have zippered leaders.  I pin to those leaders as opposed to machine basting the quilt to the leaders. To me it's much easier to pin than to take it off and go to the sewing machine to baste the quilt components on. As mentioned here there are Red Snappers out there and several individuals on here do use those.  I have heard both pros and cons relating to the Red Snappers.  I'm just going to stick with pinning the quilt to the leaders.

Hope you get more responses.

Welcome to the site!

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 75
Sandy replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 4:21 PM

Romona,

Thank you very much for your response to my question about zippers on the leaders. I have went and ordered them. Hope they work.

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 75
Sandy replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 4:23 PM

I'm talking about having zippers on your leaders to mount your quilts on your long arm instead of pinning.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,923 Posts
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 4:59 PM

Sandy:

Romona,

Thank you very much for your response to my question about zippers on the leaders. I have went and ordered them. Hope they work.

You are welcome. Even though most of my quilting is for myself and family I have found it handy on several occasions to have the ability to unzip a full quilt, or even be able to unzip part of the quilt,  put on a different quilt or work on some aspect of the quilt that's on the frame without having to take it completely off the frame.  Then everything zips back exactly where it was. Just takes one time and they were well worth it to me.  If you have two sets of leaders you can unzip one, zip on the other set and pin on a quilt that may need to get done in a hurry.  When done you just zip back on the first quilt and away you go.  Hope you enjoy yours.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
23,803 Posts
Points 352,112
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 9:12 PM

Michelle:
 They are called Red Snappers Quilting Frame Loading Systems.

I have these. I find it really hard to snap those suckers in place. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and my wrists hurt when I try to use them so DH has to do it for me. If he's not around I use pins. I'm hoping they loosen up with time.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
615 Posts
Points 11,735

Thanks Kris, I was wondering if there was anyone that had tried them.  I was thinking they would save the edges of the material and not stretch it like the pins do sometimes. Has anyone else tried them yet? 

Michelle B

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998

I use zippers.  I have two sets.  I like being able to let my husband pin and unpinned quilts while he is watching tv!  Just another bonus.  And I can still pin directly to the leaders, too, when I want.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use