This post has 44 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Wed, Feb 6 2013 7:19 PM

MNnancy:
Has Mimi knocked Helen off her thrown?

Nancy these are only two and a half of three cases in which I keep my fabric collection that is waiting for inspiration to hit. That's just the tip of the iceberg. There are 20 baskets of FQ's.  I also have two shelving units filled with containers of purchased kits, and quilt fabrics I have put together from magazine ideas.  The ufo's are multiplying. The backing fabrics and batting have their own closet.   Oh then there are the 15 shelves of books and magazines.  I looked at Helen's stash and I personally think I could give her a run for her money.  Mine is just not as organized.  I can't get a photo of the entire thing.  But you just wait.......I will someday.   And like Dianna, I am trying to use from my stash first.  But it always seems I might have 20 reds but don't have the right one for this particular project.  Anyone who would like to visit and shop my stash for free is welcome anytime.  Just give me a week so I can move the fabric so you can have a bed to sleep on.  LOL

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Wed, Feb 6 2013 8:04 PM

Mimi:
Anyone who would like to visit and shop my stash for free is welcome anytime.  Just give me a week so I can move the fabric so you can have a bed to sleep on.  LOL

Oh Mimi.. be careful what you ask for...lol.. We will all be at your door...lol..

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Wed, Feb 6 2013 8:13 PM

I wouldn't plan a trip for this month as the kitchen is still in pieces but slowly coming together.  The floor goes in tomorrow.  There was a slight delay as we decided last minute to put radiant heat into the cement slab floor.  But the invitation stands.  Just let me know when you're coming Kelley!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Feb 6 2013 9:16 PM

Mimi:
I looked at Helen's stash and I personally think I could give her a run for her money.

Woo, hoo!  Did you hear that everyone?  Our next stash raid will be held at Mimi's house.  Who can come up with a good plan for distracting her while the nimble-fingered gremlins make a grab?

Mimi:
Anyone who would like to visit and shop my stash for free is welcome anytime.

Mimi, you're taking the fun out of it.  LOL

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

Oh My any thread about our fabric stash is always so funny.  It's so much fun to laugh out loud at all of you and your antics.  I do enjoy these threads.

When I saw Helen Bell's stash a few years back that MNnancy refers to, I had a carpenter build me shelves to line one wall in my sewing room.  I then measured the width of the shelves and had a piece of 1/4" thick clear plexiglass cut to a little less than 1/2 that width and about 24" long.  I fold my fabric around that and then in half lengthwise and stack like colors together.  When I'm putting fabrics away I'm often surprised with how some go with others that I've had for a while.

If I've bought pieces to go together with a pattern in mind, I'll bag those in the big zip lock bags with the pattern because you know I'll get to them someday?!

And of course when I finish a project I cut up the small pieces into "Lumberyard" sizes and anything more than 1/8 of a yard is folded and put with it's color.  Landscape, animals, flannel, 30's, etc have their own stacks.

Patti -- I think you just have to begin.  You'll soon see what works best for you.  It's a time consuming chore, but once you get started it's fun.

Now how about thread?  Embroidery, quilting, sewing?

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

double

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,367
Points 37,265
Linda replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 5:23 PM

I just got new windows in my sewing room and one window eliminated  and made into a solid wall for my design wall, woohoo!!!! Indy got his doggie door in. Didn't take him long to go in and out. Now I can take my time and sort fabrics. I have bins in the basement. I don't even know what I have anymore. I sort by childrens, backing, red/white/blue, 1-2 yds, 3-4 yds, FQ are in small drawers, I have a bin of small pieces that aren't too small to throw out, but don't fit the other categories. Then there is a bin on the floor for strips regardless of size and a basket for small pieces that most people would throw away, but I've been labeled the queen of scraps. I will find use for them. There is a basket of strips sewn together...never know when I'll use them. I recently depleted that basket. Guess I'm going to need a sleepless night and sew strips. I also have bins for plaids and for denims and flannels.

HUgs.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 29,135
Ramona replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 5:31 PM

Linda,

Congrats on your new studio area! Sounds really nice. Being organized really helps to get those projects done.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 325
Cindy replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 10:29 PM

Ahhh........just touching and folding and admiring the fabric seems to make us all happy, no matter how you sort it.  I sort by colors and my husband built shelves in the closet the depth of the closet, so have stacks of flat folds.  when the stacks get nearly to the top, I place the fabric between 2 acrylic cutting rules and slip it onto the top of the stack so I can stack clear to the top of each shelf.  Works like a charm..  Never can have enough fabric.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,142
Points 17,570
weezee56 replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 10:48 PM

Ramona:

WHAT AM I SAYING??  There is no such thing as too much fabric. LOL

You have a great stash. I wish I had the shelves you have. I could find my colors so easily your way.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Thu, Feb 14 2013 9:11 PM

Cindy:
when the stacks get nearly to the top, I place the fabric between 2 acrylic cutting rules and slip it onto the top of the stack so I can stack clear to the top of each shelf.

Cindy, I think we need a picture!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,367
Points 37,265
Linda replied on Fri, Feb 15 2013 3:23 PM

weezee56:

Ramona:

WHAT AM I SAYING??  There is no such thing as too much fabric. LOL

You have a great stash. I wish I had the shelves you have. I could find my colors so easily your way.

Romana, You are very correct. There is no such thing as too much fabric.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 72
Points 1,380

Mimi, after having met you I am not surprised your stash is so organized.  Looks awesome!

Janis

TN

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Sat, Feb 16 2013 9:48 PM

Janis Lindsey:
 Looks awesome!

Thanks Janis! I wish I could say it looked like those pictures now.  The whole house is in shambles due to kitchen remodeling.  I feel like I'm eating the construction dust daily.  I hope when the counter top and cook top go in on Monday things will start to settle down. DH and I are guessing maybe another 1 1/2 to 2 weeks. 

We're looking forward to Smokey Mountain retreat again this year.  I'm not getting too excited yet but I have started to work on small gifties for everyone.  Well I've planned them.  Not much sewing going on right now.  Glad you and your "twin" will be there too.  It won't be long now just 4 more months.... YAY!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,062
Points 29,135
Ramona replied on Sun, Feb 17 2013 6:35 PM

ls2116:

Wow,  Ramona  Can I go fish in your stash .  That looks great  You definitely have my dream of a perfect set up.

Come on any time!

Page 3 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use