Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 44 Replies | 14 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti Posted: Tue, Jan 29 2013 9:18 PM

I am once again sorting my fabrics.  Some of you have pictures of your stashes that look so organized.  I tried doing colors, but what if something is in between or has 2 dominate colors?   And the big prints?  Should I keep the orientals separate?  The batiks separate?  Stack what I consider my blenders by color and everything else by theme? Sort by size, like fat quarters, less than a yard, more than a yard? What about sets of fabric that go together?

Anyway, I was going through my stash sorting and looking for two contrasting solids I might use in MQ8.  (if I don't find the two solids, I will take that as a message from God that I am not supposed to do MQ8.)

I also need to refold my stash after the fabric explosion that resulted when I was looking for something else. 

I think I will go play with my stash now.  I need something to keep me from eating, and the computer is not it.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 9:39 PM

Patti:
I need something to keep me from eating, and the computer is not it.

Isn't that the truth?!  There's something about sitting at the computer that brings on the munchies.

Patti, I have the same problem with sorting colors in my stash.  I see some quilter's collections that have beautiful rainbow arrangements and I think those people must buy a lot more solids than I do.  I tend to buy big multi-color prints that catch my eye, but I'm realizing that it's the near-solids and blenders that I should be collecting and only go after those bigger prints when I have an actual project in mind.

I'll join Patti in asking how to sort those multi-color fabrics that don't have one color that stands out.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,465
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 10:04 PM

I don't know how others sort their fabrics but I put the multicolored fabrics together by their background color.  If it has a mostly blue background it goes with the blues.  If it has a mostly white background it goes with the whites.  I do keep holiday, batiks and novelty fabrics together in their own little cubbie.  I also keep the 30's and CW repros together.  Everything else is by color.   Here are two older photos to show my organization system.  My sewing room doesn't look anything like this right now.  It is a total wreck.

I also sort my fat quarters into color families in the baskets at the bottom.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 10:32 PM

Wow Mimi I wish I was that organized.  Right now my stash is in a mess.   I usually stack all my batiks together.  All my whites, creams, tans, blacks have a shelf all their own.  Large prints I stack together as I don't usually buy alot of those.  Holiday and novelty is stacked together.  Everything else is stacked by color.   At one time I had all my FQs stacked by color but they have gotten moved around when I was hunting something specific.    I have a draw that all my fabrics that were bought for applique or landscape is kept.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,461
Points 416,734
gini replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 2:10 AM

i sort by color a lot like mimi.   i have my large prints, flannels, children's, christmas, etc. in separate stacks.  i my large lengths, like 8 yds or more that i couldn't live without and will use for backs are in another pile. my wools are in big plastic tubs and need to be color sorted.   what else?   my smaller cuts for applique are in smaller plastic tubs sorted by color. sometimes i buy several fabrics to go together and even if they aren't the same color, i will store them together. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 4:48 AM

Mimi you are so orgainized I wish my room looked this nice. I wish I had a room like this to store fabirc in.  thanks for sharing. I like most  have tired to sort mine but its a mess right now . need to spend a day cleaning and restoring my fabric ,but have been busy and so it waits

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,465
Points 41,130
Mimi replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 5:40 AM

Nana and Barbara, you are too too kind.  It would take a week of four or five hours a day to clean up the mess I have right now.  The FQ's are over here in a pile and the Easy Street pieces are here and the ufo's are over there and the big board doesn't have room to iron and the desk is six inches deep and.............

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:21 AM

Mimi,  Your fabrics look so well organized and easy to find.   Mine aren't folded so neatly in size like yours.  I also don't have as many to choose from--makes for more trips to the lqs. --LOL   Ginny

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 607
Points 9,675
Joyce replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 8:24 PM

Hi Patti:  I have cubbie holes also but I have different color bins to store the fabric.  I like the way you can see Mimi's.  I always need to pull out the bin and search thru but they are color coded by the bin.  Sort of. ha    Good luck.  I will post a photo if I every figure out how to do that.  I'm just learning how to do all these neat things.

Joyce

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,831
Points 39,980
ls2116 replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 3:31 PM

Mimi love your stash wall pic.  Thats one thing I still have to do.  I used to think I was organised but after seeing your pic I admit my stash is a cluttered mess.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 4:01 PM

Alot of people here are much more organized than I am but here is how I started doing mine. When I purchase something new I just have to put it where I can. LOL

These pictures are not recent so most of the cracks have been filled up with fabric and overflowed into bins. Not enough quilting and too much buying.....WHAT AM I SAYING??  There is no such thing as too much fabric. LOL

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,782
Points 122,490

Oh my goodness gracious Ramona. Your fabric storage and area is to drool over.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,115
Points 29,745
Ramona replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 5:05 PM

Thanks Judy! I certainly enjoy playing in there.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 5:21 PM

I think I am going to Ramona's house to get fabric.  It is definitely a stash to drool over.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 5:53 PM

Ramona, my stash is dwarfed by yours!  Gotta go to the quilt shop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use