Top 10 Posters

Not a quilting question but wasn't sure where to post this

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 10 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 645
Ocydroma posted on Tue, Jan 29 2013 1:27 AM

I am new to quilting and embroidering. I purchased a brother PE-770 for embroidering to make sure I would enjoy it before investing thousands into a machine. I'm very intimidated about the embroidering and have a couple questions to help motivate me. What would be a good fabric, without being expensive to practice on? And what type of stabilizer would work best with the fabric you recommend? I have all three hoops for the machine. 4"x4", 5"x7" and I can't remember the size of the largest hoop. Maybe 6"x12"?

any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have so many ideas that I want to do but I'm sort of blocked because the lack of knowledge of what's the best stabilizer works best with what type of fabric.

thanks so much! Back to organizing my sewing room!

• | Post Points: 95

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 645
Verified by Ocydroma

Thanks for the input. This probably makes me sound stupid but there are so many things on this site. I am having problems locating the embroidery group. If you could send me the link or let me know the name/location on the site I would greatly appreciate it!

thanks so much!

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
168 Posts
Points 3,875
Gerie replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 3:13 AM

Hi Ocydroma,

I have a brother 3000 and it goes where I go, we're attached at the fingertips. I use tearaway cotton stabilizer on the bottom, when I work on non-stretching fabrics. When I work on t-shirts and other stretching materials, I use a sticky/ peel off stabiliser, brand Neschen. When I work with terrycloth, I use the tearaway cotton underneath and a watersoluble on top, so the fibers don't come up through the embroidery. For practise fabric, I started using an old bedsheet, but I ended up using a nice cotton, because often the practise thing comes out nicely and I can use that in another quilt. Have fun.

Gerie.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

welcome Ocydroma, I work on a Janome, but the methods of machine embroidery are the same for any machine. there is a group here on QCA for those of us who embroidery please check it out. I have written many informative threads there and I would love to have you see what great information is available, and there are wonderful members to help you to make the first steps enjoyable. The stabilizers are so many that you should have the list at your finger tips. print it and keep it on the wall by your machine or cutting surface.
Threads and needles are so important that again I ask you to go read the posts there.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,396 Posts
Points 415,524
gini replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 1:52 PM

hi oxydroma, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,523 Posts
Points 138,808

Hi Ocydroma,

I noticed when the gals demo'd my machine, they used broadcloth. It has a crisp look and embroiders nicely. You can use about any stabilizer. I started with the lightweight tear away on this for practice. I almost always use the wash away now. Not the plastic looking one, but the one that looks like fibered paper. By all means, check out the machine embroidery group in the groups section. And have fun with your new machine. It's a blast to watch the designs taking form. Addictive in the beginning. LOL

Top 150 Contributor
Female
663 Posts
Points 12,650

Ocydroma,

I also am new to embroidery.  I just started looking at the groups here and the embroidery groups.  There are some wonderful ideas there.  I just started playing around with labels for my quilts as my first embroidery.  This Christmas, I made jean aprons and embroidered on them for my friends.  My daughter and I went to one class at the local quilt shop that helped with the beginning thoughts, as I didn't know anything about my machine at all.  Looking forward to learning more with you!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:35 AM

Stephanie,

Is there a name for your wash-a-way fiber paper looking stablizer?  Do you use on front or back?

Not Ranked
14 Posts
Points 645
Verified by Ocydroma

Thanks for the input. This probably makes me sound stupid but there are so many things on this site. I am having problems locating the embroidery group. If you could send me the link or let me know the name/location on the site I would greatly appreciate it!

thanks so much!

• | Post Points: 40
Top 150 Contributor
Female
663 Posts
Points 12,650

Ocydroma,  

Here is the link to get to the group: http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/groups/machine_embroidery/default.aspx  You may have to copy and put in your browser, as it looks like it didn't make a hyperlink.  If that doesn't work, go to the top of this page, in the red menu line it says Groups. Clirournk on that, go to the middle of the page and clink on the QCA groups  I just go down and look at all the groups they have here.  The Machine embroidery is about 1/2 way down.  I just started a reply and then clicked on "email me replies", then you can go back into the site really easily. 

Hope that makes sense? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 50 Contributor
2,705 Posts
Points 38,170
ls2116 replied on Thu, Jan 31 2013 12:37 AM

I like tear away I'm not sure but I think the brand is Pellon.  I also know there are embroider magazines that are available.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

ls2116:

I like tear away I'm not sure but I think the brand is Pellon.  I also know there are embroider magazines that are available.

Tear-away stabilizers are not the best for all types of embroidery.  Go to the Embroidery Group and look at the Stabilizer chart that CarylAnne provided.  Use it as a reference and you will have better stitch-outs - especially after washing.

Winthrop, WA

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use