Advice needed One Block Wonder

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 42 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,464 Posts
Points 116,640
Judy Taylor-Bellingham posted on Mon, Jan 28 2013 4:44 PM

I have the book One Block Wonder.  I was going to take a class offered by the local shop, but I'm not available on the class days. So, for the past week I've been reading the book and spending a great deal of time figuring how to get the layers aligned. After some (no, alot!) frustration, I finally got the fabric aligned (hopefully), cut the six strips.

I took a deep breath and cut one stack of 6 strips into the triangles. Before I go any further I'd really like input from those of you who have made these Wonders. I'm nervous if I'm doing it right. If I've messed up, I did buy an extra two yards and can cut another set of 6 strips.

First photo: The stacks of 3-3/4" strips and a piece of the fabric uncut.  

Second photo: I cut one of the strip stacks into triangles. I took 6stacks of trianglesand played with them. Nothing is sewn together yet.

Am I doing this right? Anything I should know, any tips, before I slice up the rest of the strip stacks?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,538 Posts
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 12:59 PM

Judy

I think they are awesome!  If it was me, I would try to put the dark centers in the center and work lighter towards the outside.  But I like quilts that draw your eye to the center rather than to the edges.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,464 Posts
Points 116,640

Nana:

Judy

Your blocks are beautiful.  I think I would "clump" a few of each color but then also scatter some across the whole quilt.  I think it would help give more movement to the design.

Thanks Nana, that's about what I'm coming up with.  I found that trying to create a flow with all the dark coming up and moving into the light didn't work with this fabric. For one thing, I don't have enough dark blocks.  I scattered some dark groups and that looked better. After retreat I'll get it up on a large design wall in the living room. (poor Harry Potter has to come down). I had thought of bringing it with to Branson, but it needs a large wall and this is going to be a long process of placing and moving, looking at it for a few days and moving blocks around again. It'll be fun, I just don't want to rush it. I decided to make it full size for our bed. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,464 Posts
Points 116,640

Susie:
If it was me, I would try to put the dark centers in the center and work lighter towards the outside. 

Susie, good thought.  This fabric didn't make many dark blocks but I do want them to be the focal point.  When I start putting the blocks up on the large design wall next month, I'll take photos of each layout. It helps to see the pattern. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,272 Posts
Points 173,273
Marie replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 4:15 PM

Judy, your blocks are gorgeous!  I can't wait until you finish this quilt.  I bought the book as well and it is on my to do list so I should get to it by the time I'm 125!  :  )

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,464 Posts
Points 116,640

Marie:

Judy, your blocks are gorgeous!  I can't wait until you finish this quilt.  I bought the book as well and it is on my to do list so I should get to it by the time I'm 125!  :  )

Marie, I suspect you will still be going strong at age 125. Can you see us all at retreats at that age. Lord have mercy!!  LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,272 Posts
Points 173,273
Marie replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 5:43 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
Marie, I suspect you will still be going strong at age 125. Can you see us all at retreats at that age. Lord have mercy!!  LOL

ROFLMAO!

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,445 Posts
Points 24,075
Debbie replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 10:38 PM

I have done both the hexagon and am working on finishing up the octagon.  I put my hexagon in the OK State Fair a few years back and took 10th place.  First time I ever entered anything and I plan on entering the octagon in Sept.  So the pink one is hexagon and the fall quilt is octagon.  My fall one is 8 blocks wide and 9 long.      

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,445 Posts
Points 24,075
Debbie replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 10:40 PM

picture of the first rows color does not do it justice.  different house, different lighting. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,445 Posts
Points 24,075
Debbie replied on Sat, Feb 9 2013 10:43 PM

here are the fabrics I began with: 

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 5:31 AM

Debbie, your quilts are so beautiful.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,504 Posts
Points 50,725
Ginny replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 8:58 AM

Debbie, both of your quilts are awesome.  Don't know which one I like better so I think you should send both of them to me.  LOL    Ginny

replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 9:53 AM

Debbie, just beautiful, it always amazes me to see the beginning fabric, then the results.  Simply amazing!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Sun, Feb 10 2013 9:57 AM

Debbie

Beautiful quilts.  Congratulations on the win.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use