Advice needed One Block Wonder

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 42 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,470 Posts
Points 116,790
Judy Taylor-Bellingham posted on Mon, Jan 28 2013 4:44 PM

I have the book One Block Wonder.  I was going to take a class offered by the local shop, but I'm not available on the class days. So, for the past week I've been reading the book and spending a great deal of time figuring how to get the layers aligned. After some (no, alot!) frustration, I finally got the fabric aligned (hopefully), cut the six strips.

I took a deep breath and cut one stack of 6 strips into the triangles. Before I go any further I'd really like input from those of you who have made these Wonders. I'm nervous if I'm doing it right. If I've messed up, I did buy an extra two yards and can cut another set of 6 strips.

First photo: The stacks of 3-3/4" strips and a piece of the fabric uncut.  

Second photo: I cut one of the strip stacks into triangles. I took 6stacks of trianglesand played with them. Nothing is sewn together yet.

Am I doing this right? Anything I should know, any tips, before I slice up the rest of the strip stacks?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,358 Posts
Points 414,944
gini replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 1:58 AM

very nice judy

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:21 AM

The only other advise I can give you is when you finish this one you can send it to me.....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,027 Posts
Points 13,055

Wow, all that from one fabric?  I have the book so now I have to pull it and look!!!!

aka Grandma Sunshine

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,470 Posts
Points 116,790

Nana, you know I'd send it to you, really I would. But you deserve so much better. LOL

Maggie, yes all from one fabric. I was somewhat overwhelmed when I opened the book and looked at the directions. Getting the 6 layers aligned was a bugger and a half, but once that was done the cutting into pieces went easily. Now it's playtime, moving each little set of hexagon pieces around to form different designs. Decisions decisions.  Of the 6 piles of strips, I have one pile completely sewn into 18 hexagons. Only 5 more piles and 90 hexagons to go!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,470 Posts
Points 116,790

Judy T-Bellingham:
Of the 6 piles of strips, I have one pile completely sewn into 18 hexagons.

Modification.....I don't have complete hexagons sewn together (that's not done until the end), just the half hexagons.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,470 Posts
Points 116,790

I'm in a low mood. (not normal for me) I've completed all 108 hexagons (still in 216 halves). I played around and threw some of them up on my small design wall. Which is too small for the whole quilt so I'll need to tack up a big piece of batting in the living room to play with the real layout.

Anyhow, here's those I put up just to get an idea of layout.  I'll be removing some, rearranging others. I'm tentatively thinking of  grouping the dark blocks in the center with progressively lighter blocks flowing out. I'll know better once I get them up on the larger wall.

I was so excited with the fabric originally and it's just not coming out what I had in mind I guess. I think I'm just tired and grumpy, it's been a busy and frustrating week. Maybe I should leave it alone for now and look with fresh eyes tomorrow or the next day.

Advice on laying it out? Should I scatter the blocks instead of grouping them by color? These hexagons look wonky because they aren't sewn together yet.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Female
650 Posts
Points 12,660

Judy, I love your blocks! I went through the very same thing with my dragon throw. I spent hours trying to arrange the darks and the lights. I finally just gave that up and just mixed them. But you're right. Just walk away for awhile. When you get back to it, it will be easier. Your quilt will be fantastic!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,470 Posts
Points 116,790

Ah, Carol, thank you. Your dragon quilt is so awesome and is what inspired me to try the Wonder. I am going to take your suggestion about making a template for the half hexagon block. I'll use a solid color.  I don't want to bring these blocks all the way out to the edges. I think they need framing. Although, right now, I think they need a sift kick in the ..........!

Maybe I'm coming down with a cold, that's usually when I feel low and grumpy and headachy.  I'll take some Zinc just in case, wallow in my misery and feel sorry for myself. That always helps! LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,351 Posts
Points 46,480

Judy I think the hardest part for me was to decide how to put them together! The great thing though is that there is no right or wrong way to assemble them. So walk away, come back tomorrow and have fun.  Each time you try something that you like, take a picture, otherwise you will never get it that way again!  Trust me...been there done that except that they fell on the floor...

Angèle  from NWO

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,470 Posts
Points 116,790

Angele:
ake a picture, otherwise you will never get it that way again!  Trust me...been there done that except that they fell on the floor...

Oh no, Angele. I think I would plop down in the middle of the room and cry or cuss. Probably cuss, I'm not much of a crier.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
654 Posts
Points 12,395

Judy,  I love this!!  The colors are wonderful and all your work! Wow!  I like the idea of the dark in the center and coming out with the lighter colors from that. But I am very OCD and even on my scrap quilts, I try to organize them! 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,472 Posts
Points 362,097
Kris replied on Wed, Feb 6 2013 10:02 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:
I was so excited with the fabric originally and it's just not coming out what I had in mind I guess. I think I'm just tired and grumpy, it's been a busy and frustrating week. Maybe I should leave it alone for now and look with fresh eyes tomorrow or the next day.

Judy,

Your blocks look great. I think any layout will be fine but I also like you idea of darks in the centre.

I agree the best thing is to just walk away and come back when you're in a better mood. I hope this is just a funk and you're not getting sick.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,809 Posts
Points 43,669
Eileen replied on Wed, Feb 6 2013 10:15 PM

Judy, this is beautiful!!  I think the best thing to do is play with the blocks to your heart's content.  If you get an arrangement you think you like, take a picture.  Sometimes looking at the images in a smaller size (on your computer, printed out, etc.) can change your perspective.  Have fun with it. I can't wait to see the finished product :-)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Feb 6 2013 11:14 PM

Judy, I think your blocks are beautiful, and I love the colors. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,765
Nana replied on Thu, Feb 7 2013 12:43 PM

Judy

Your blocks are beautiful.  I think I would "clump" a few of each color but then also scatter some across the whole quilt.  I think it would help give more movement to the design.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Page 2 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use