Advice needed One Block Wonder

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 42 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,934 Posts
Points 125,250
Judy T-Bellingham posted on Mon, Jan 28 2013 4:44 PM

I have the book One Block Wonder.  I was going to take a class offered by the local shop, but I'm not available on the class days. So, for the past week I've been reading the book and spending a great deal of time figuring how to get the layers aligned. After some (no, alot!) frustration, I finally got the fabric aligned (hopefully), cut the six strips.

I took a deep breath and cut one stack of 6 strips into the triangles. Before I go any further I'd really like input from those of you who have made these Wonders. I'm nervous if I'm doing it right. If I've messed up, I did buy an extra two yards and can cut another set of 6 strips.

First photo: The stacks of 3-3/4" strips and a piece of the fabric uncut.  

Second photo: I cut one of the strip stacks into triangles. I took 6stacks of trianglesand played with them. Nothing is sewn together yet.

Am I doing this right? Anything I should know, any tips, before I slice up the rest of the strip stacks?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
911 Posts
Points 17,230

Judy, You've completed the hard part! The stacking is what took me a long time to get just right. Your triangles are looking beautiful together. Don't you just love the differences among all the blocks? The rest of the process isn't hard, it's just a lot of sewing and matching. Before you sew all your half hexagons together, use one of the halves to make yourself a template to use around the sides of the quilt to make them straight. Unless you want the sort of scalloped edge the the hexagons create. The book says you can cut the hexagons after they're all sewn together in order to make a straight edge on the sides. I didn't do that because I didn't want to lose any part of the hexagons. So I used a solid fabric to fill in. If you look at my Dragon Disarray in the gallery, maybe what I'm trying to say will be more clear. I can't wait to see your completed quilt!  The colors are really nice. Good luck and have fun!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,934 Posts
Points 125,250

Carol, THANK YOU. That is exactly the sort of help and encouragement I needed. I like your suggestion about the template for around the sides.

I can tell this is going to be a lengthy project but that's OK. Your dragon Wonder was what got me going on doing this, so thanks again.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,318 Posts
Points 27,020

Judy, this is going to be beautiful.  I have two in my gallery.  One I "Floated as in the book, and the other I used 1/2 of my hex on the sides to make it square.  You usually have plenty to do this.  Great job

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Judy, they're looking so pretty already!  Have fun!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,506 Posts
Points 48,335
Angele replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 9:47 PM

Judy, your blocks look great! I can't wait to see them all.  You have completed a hard part, cutting your strips.  Now enjoy the process and the discovery each new block will bring.

Angèle  from NWO

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 10:10 PM

Judy

You are doing a perfect job.   You are really going to have some beautiful blocks.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,934 Posts
Points 125,250

Elizabeth:
Judy, this is going to be beautiful.  I have two in my gallery. 

Elizabeth, I looked in your gallery; your Wonders are beautiful. I'm so inspired with your and Carol's One Block Wonder quilts.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. I now have all the triangles cut and carefully stacked and packed in little baggies. I'm having a hard time not playing with the combinations of each set. I have other things I should be doing! - like eating, sleeping, working :~} This could be addictive.  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,041 Posts
Points 369,132
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 12:08 AM

Wow Judy. This is going to be awesome. I love it already.

Top 50 Contributor
2,919 Posts
Points 41,040
ls2116 replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 12:33 AM

I'm impressed! they look like a kaleidoscope.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,712 Posts
Points 248,452
Thea replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 2:59 AM

Judy - your blocks look wonderful - one thing I did to get the fabric to align was to put a pin vertical through a design and then lift up the next piece and do the same thing - again and again - till I got to the last piece - then I held both sides of the pin and I was on a ladder - teehee - was funny looking but to be able to flip that many fabrics back and forth so they would lay together correctly I had to get up high... I did realize afterwards that I could have done the same thing on a smaller scale - but what works works.

I haven't finished mine yet - I had to take my design wall down before I had decided on a final design - I do love your fabric though and it is contagious... good job!

Oh yah!  you can pin the beginning and ending of a section and then just lay it out and fluff it to get it right - You don't have to climb a ladder... I did have 6 yards of fabric though and wasn't sure in the beginning where I was going to make the first cut as I thought at first that you cut 12 or 24" in the beginning not realizing the cuts were actually so much smaller...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,843 Posts
Points 248,964

Judy these are beautiful . I haven't even started mine yet , maybe before the summer is here I can at least start it. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,657 Posts
Points 136,092

Judy, beautiful blocks

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,154 Posts
Points 14,985
Dawn replied on Tue, Jan 29 2013 6:59 AM

Love it!  Can't wait to see how it progresses!!!

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20

This block looks like Bethany Reynolds stack and wack,it is done the same exact way only no need for a special template,you use regular ruler and can cut at 45 or 60 degree wedges.I'm working on one now,love the different patterns you get.

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use