Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 165
celima Posted: Mon, Jan 28 2013 10:25 AM

Hi,

I am quite new to quilting, and am currently struggling with my first large quilt.  I am trying to get it ready for me to start quilting...  Not easy, and my knees are suffering from crawling around on my hard, tiled floor, trying to tack everything in place..

I live in Southern Spain where it is really difficult to obtain any quiting supplies, especially, material and cotton thread, so I have to rely on trips to the UK or, mail order suppliers.  The other downside is, not having any fellow quilters to discuss the best way of doing things, hence my joining this site.  Thank you for listening, and I look forward to gaining from your experience.  

• | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 10:41 AM

Hello from of the state Gerogia, USA, Celima. What town in Spain do you live in. It must be beautiful there.

Can't believe there are no quilters near by. Of course, I have heard that fabric is very expensive in Europe. Do you order online? I bet the postage makes it almost as expensive as buying there.

You have come to the right place to learn and ask questions. Check out the Groups, and forums. Ask any quesiton you like. If we don't know the answer, we will make one up! lol Just kidding.

Welcome!

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 11:25 AM

celima:
and my knees are suffering from crawling around on my hard, tiled floor

Ouch!  I feel for you!  I cannot tolerating kneeling on hard surfaces any longer.  Is there a school or church that would let you use their space occasionally?  If you can pull several large tables together, it is much nicer to work at that height.  I have also used spray basting (like the 505 product) and worked from my design wall if the quilts are not too large.

Welcome to QCA Celima!  Good luck with your quilt!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 12:42 PM

Nancy, does that Spray Basting work well. And, you use it IN THE HOUSE? I thought it was caustic and dangerous to breathe?

Sukochi

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 165
celima replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:12 PM

Thank you for your reply, it is good to know that there are real folk out there...!  live in the hills behind Estepona, not too far from Gibraltar, it is beautiful countryside, as long as you are away from the tourist areas.  Buying any material here is very difficult, but it does give me a good excuse to travel..!  Be prepared for lots of SOS cries..!

thank you

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 293
Points 4,535
Mary789 replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:15 PM

This is a possible idea.  When I weed the flower beds and prune during the spring I use one of those foam pads for kneeling on.  They sell these in the gardening dept.  This might make it more comfortable if you are working on your knees.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 165
celima replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:19 PM

Unfortunately, there are not many church halls near me.  I have tried using the spray glue method, but only on the top plus wadding, how do you use it for the backing?  Re a design wall, I have some white fleece that I proposed using, but finding a suitable wall is more difficult.  How have you set up your wall?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 95
Melissa replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:25 PM

Use foam board.  You can use some tape to fix four pieces of foam board together and then cover with you white felt.  There you have a design wall.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 1,520

Does your local school's library have tables?  Perhaps they would let you push them together after school once in a while to get your sandwiching off the floor in return for a donation of books or money or some volunteer time to the library.

stitcheraz

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,274
Points 173,313
Marie replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:37 PM

Hi Celima, welcome to our group.  I'm from Millbury, Massachusetts, W of Boston.  MNancy is right, find yourself a school, church or library with large tables to do your layering.  If I got on the floor on my knees I'd never get up!  LOL  We look forward to getting to know you better so post often and ask as many questions as you like, we have experienced quilters on site to answer your questions.  Enjoy!  

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,119
Points 14,425
Dawn replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:52 PM

Hello Celima!  You have found a great site full of wonderful, helpful people!  I am from the middle of the USA, Shellsburg, Iowa.  It is a very small town, but we live close to a larger town.  Good to meet you and am looking forward to seeing you grow in your quilting experience.  NO question is a dumb question, just ask away!!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 925
Tamra replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 1:57 PM

Welcome Celima,

My name is Tamra and I am from a very small town in Southwestern North Carolina, (Murphy). 

Tamra

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 2:59 PM

Celima

Welcome to the site.  I hope you will join us frequently for chat sessions.   There is no way that I could get down in the floor to sandwich a quilt.  I would never get back up.   I use a large table and sandwich in sections by using clamps to hold everything in place until I get done pinning.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,461
Points 361,952
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 3:26 PM

Welcome Celima.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jan 28 2013 4:30 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
you use it IN THE HOUSE? I thought it was caustic and dangerous to breathe?

I crack a window, set up a fan, and wear a mask.  I don't overdo the spray - just a nice light quick coat.  I still use this method for small projects.  Thankfully, now that I have the mid-arm and frame, I don't have to do much sandwiching anymore.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use