All Cotton Are NOT Created Equal

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 4 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 120
Taminara posted on Fri, Jan 25 2013 10:07 AM

Hi,

I am about to start a new quilt and realized that the fabrics I got have different  thickness or  thread counts.  Some I bought as a kit (fat quarter set) and those are the ones that are thinner than the other fabrics I have.  Would you assemble them together?  Thank you for your thoughts.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Answered (Verified) Barbara replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 10:19 AM
Verified by Taminara

Taminara,welcome to the club. In answer to your question ,yes I have used them but you have to be very careful that you don't stretch out the fabric. I try to make sure that this doesn't happen but sometimes when using my stash it happens.Make sure you press instead for reg ironing this will help with the misshaping of the thinner fabric.  I have even gone so far as to use stablizer behind some of the thinner fabric. which helps keep it stable. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 25
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,728 Posts
Points 437,065
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:39 AM
Verified by Taminara

Taminara

I have used both light wt and heavier wt fabrics in the same quilt without a problem.   Seems like the only time that all the fabrics are the same thickness is when I use just fabrics from one line.  Even different fabrics from the same manufacturer can be different thicknesses.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,899
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:53 AM
Verified by Taminara

You can go ahead and mix them,   Remember that the quilt will only be as sturdy as the weakest fabric.    I was just inspecting a quilt I made for my daughter e 15 or so years ago.   She uses her quilts a lot.   Some of the thinner fabrics are already so worn they have pulled out at the seams.  

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Answered (Verified) Joni replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 5:36 PM
Verified by Taminara

I think it would make a big difference, depending on your quilting design it would not necessarily have to be 1" apart.  I made a baby quilt that I used a gingham with other cottons.  The gingham was much lighter than the other fabrics, after it was quilted you would not have known it.   I made it in 2003 and it is still like new after being washed almost weekly.

I'm always amazed at the different weights and weaves of fabrics in the same collection.  But it has not really made any difference to date.  Have fun and be sure to show and tell when as you go along.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Answered (Verified) Barbara replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 10:19 AM
Verified by Taminara

Taminara,welcome to the club. In answer to your question ,yes I have used them but you have to be very careful that you don't stretch out the fabric. I try to make sure that this doesn't happen but sometimes when using my stash it happens.Make sure you press instead for reg ironing this will help with the misshaping of the thinner fabric.  I have even gone so far as to use stablizer behind some of the thinner fabric. which helps keep it stable. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,728 Posts
Points 437,065
Answered (Verified) Nana replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:39 AM
Verified by Taminara

Taminara

I have used both light wt and heavier wt fabrics in the same quilt without a problem.   Seems like the only time that all the fabrics are the same thickness is when I use just fabrics from one line.  Even different fabrics from the same manufacturer can be different thicknesses.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,899
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:53 AM
Verified by Taminara

You can go ahead and mix them,   Remember that the quilt will only be as sturdy as the weakest fabric.    I was just inspecting a quilt I made for my daughter e 15 or so years ago.   She uses her quilts a lot.   Some of the thinner fabrics are already so worn they have pulled out at the seams.  

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,899
gini replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:54 AM

And hello to you, welcomes to the group.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,899
gini replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:56 AM

I' working from my ipad and it obviously has a mind of it's own, when it comes to what I'm writing.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 120

Thank you everyone for their thoughts, I am considering using them since the thinner fabrics are the ones I really love to be in the quilt.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 5:59 AM

You can also stablize thinner fabrics by your quilting choices.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 120

I am not sure I get this right, you mean if I hand quilted them close together (no more than one inch apart) rather than far apart it would be a better choice?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Answered (Verified) Joni replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 5:36 PM
Verified by Taminara

I think it would make a big difference, depending on your quilting design it would not necessarily have to be 1" apart.  I made a baby quilt that I used a gingham with other cottons.  The gingham was much lighter than the other fabrics, after it was quilted you would not have known it.   I made it in 2003 and it is still like new after being washed almost weekly.

I'm always amazed at the different weights and weaves of fabrics in the same collection.  But it has not really made any difference to date.  Have fun and be sure to show and tell when as you go along.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,467 Posts
Points 416,899
gini replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 9:46 PM

Since fabrics usually wear at the seams, I don't think it makes a lot of difference how close you quilt.

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use